Does anyone use a different program to defrag win 7?

ellover009

[H]ard|Gawd
I have Windows 7 oem, I tried to defrag, it keeps checking the disk but then it says 0% defragged, I've left it alone to do it's own thing but it seems like it's not doing it. I've looked at several fixes and none have gotten it to work properly. Is there any program out there that will do a better job than windows 7 defrag tool?

Its 0% fragmented because windows 7 has a scheduled task to defrag the drive once a week.

I have Windows 7 oem, I tried to defrag, it keeps checking the disk but then it says 0% defragged, I've left it alone to do it's own thing but it seems like it's not doing it. I've looked at several fixes and none have gotten it to work properly. Is there any program out there that will do a better job than windows 7 defrag tool?

Better than 0% fragmented?

Keep in mind that Windows Defrag omits things it usually can't touch like System Volume Information or the swapfile, so if another program is saying you have 8% fragmentation and Windows is saying 0% then it's nothing to worry about. Personally I use Defraggler because you can have it defrag specific files and the GUI tells you what's in a block but the Windows one is fine. it's not a must have app.

I thought the version of defrag in Windows 7 was able to defrag the MFT table?

Anyways, OP the Windows 7 Defrag utility is a great product. If you fully defrag with Windows 7 then check something like Defraggler there will still be a couple % of fragmentation but it's usually not enough to worry about.

Now if you were still on XP I would absolutely use a modern defragger.

If you just want a second look at your fragmentation, defraggler has a portable version and it's free for download.

Problem I have thou Is it will run a few check and then it does nothing. Not having a visual aid like the old version of windows is not helping.

Check the event viewer for the defrag log. The reason it's not running is because it's below the fragmentation threshold.

it says 0% defragged

There's been a bit of misunderstanding in this thread. He's not talking about the current status of fragmentation, where it will say "0% fragmented" on a disk with no fragments. When you're running the Windows 7 defrag tool, after you have hit the "Defragment disk" button, after analyzing it will go through several passes, reading such things as "Pass 1: 0% relocated" or "Pass 3: 0% defragmented".

If it is indeed stuck at something like "Pass 3: 0% defragmented", then it may just be taking a long time to relocate a very large file. How full is your disk, and how fragmented is it when you just hit the "Analyze disk" button?

Last edited:
I thought you didn't have to worry about fragmentation on Windows 7 NTFS? In theory non-contiguous files wouldn't occur often except for large (media) files or when the disk is nearing capacity, the former of which offers little performance impact and in the latter you're screwed anyway.

Ok installed defraggler, launched it but didn't run the defrag and when I went back to running the windows defrag I think it worked this time, launched another defrag window for itself.
i did .
% analized
pass 1 % relocated
pass 1 % defragmented
pass 1 % consolidated
pass 2 % relocated
pass 3 % relocated
pass 4 % relocated
pass 5 % defragmented
pass 5 % consolidated
pass 6 % consolidated
pass 7 % consolidated

disk (c) last run 8/22/2012 2.49am (0% fragmented) and under progress bar it was empty.

Going to need more HD or bigger ones, 632.4/698.5gb or around 66gb left.

Then I did a disk check and repair which rebooted my pc and ran program outside the regular windows environment.

Download files used to take forever to compile list of files, now you open it and everything is there where it should be.

Probably more out of old habit than actual usefulness, but I run Defraggler once in awhile (even though 7 apparently handles things on it's own).

I'm not sure if the built in 7 defrag does things such as moving the system files to the inner tracks of the HD or anything like that. (Defraggler does.)

I thought the version of defrag in Windows 7 was able to defrag the MFT table?

Anyways, OP the Windows 7 Defrag utility is a great product. If you fully defrag with Windows 7 then check something like Defraggler there will still be a couple % of fragmentation but it's usually not enough to worry about.

Now if you were still on XP I would absolutely use a modern defragger.

It reserves 200mb for it, and then creates another 200mb segment when needed. it can later go back and consolidate the segments, which is probably where people think it's doing a defrag but it's not.

Back