Does anyone make a reasonably priced consumer grade DAS that is quiet?

hifiaudio2

n00b
I already have a Dell R220 1u server for my front end, and want to use the SAS 6/e card for software raid.

What I want is something like the Q30 from 45drives seen here

http://45drives.com/products/storag...c30-01&code=Enc&software=Default&type=storage

Except with no area for the server parts and with a 6gb sas backplane, sf 8088 connection, etc.

I love the huge fans and it should be very quiet. Can something like this be purchased?

I have emailed 45 drives to ask them if they can make it, but while I await their response I wonder if it already exists...?

Sorry I'm not any help, but would you mind posting 45 drives response when you receive one? I'm curious.

If you are looking for at least 30 drives, you might as well go for 45. A good starting point is the Backblaze Storage Pod, and if you truly don't want any motherboard space I am sure Protocase will (for a fee) be able to make the slight modification for the lack of motherboard space, but the layout of the case and the power supply location truly makes it so you lose almost no space for the motherboard. The only other thing you might want to do is move the power supply horizontal and then you could cut some depth. Protocase and Backblaze offer the CAD files so you can make your own alterations at will. 45Drives is a Division of Protocase, which handles their more consumer-friendly product.

Last edited:
Yeah I dont know why this seems to be such an underserved market. I have now gone through trying a Dell MD1000 and Dell J23 array, with a try at modding the fans of each, but they are ultimately still way too loud for my liking. I dont need whisper quiet, but "pretty quiet" - maybe around 40-45dB tops is what I am after.

I now wish I had just built a server PC with a large chassis that could hold 12-15 drives or so instead of the 1u server I bought and trying to find a storage array that fits the bill. Perhaps 45 drives will have something I can use or can make me something. Its not a big deal if I have to take a larger case from them that does have room for the server components, but it would need to have the external style single sf-8088 connection to all the drives....

Well I've talked to my coworkers about my storage server (57 HDDs) and they all think I'm crazy, so that's not so surprising.

I use the cheap rackable 3016 that I make quieter.

Back