Does anyone know the timeframe for Sprint 4G expansion?

Rolling Sarcophagus

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm getting ready to switch providers again, and anticipate a move to Sprint. I would like to get the Epic 4G phone, however 4G is not available in my area yet (go figure), and the service carries a $10 surcharge for 4G access, non-negotiable.

With the nearest 4G spot about 110 miles north of me, there really isn't any way I'm going to see 4G anytime soon I don't think. Does anyone know what type of launch plans they have for expansion to non-metro areas?

Follow-up question for those familiar with their phone options: if as I suspect it is going to be forever and three days, will I be disappoint if I go to a lesser/older model phone (intercept, etc)? I really don't like the idea of getting an older unit, particularly when I will be doing a contract... but I don't like the idea of paying $10 a month for something I can't access either.

Opinions?

Sorry, 110 miles south of Daytona Beach.

In my head, I pictured my area to be the last place to go up as there isn't much here at all... I was actually only expecting a generalized answer rather than specific to my area, but that would be even better.

... I'd LOVE to give you one specific to your area, but a town of some sorts would be nice. You have to realize that the major cities will be covered first and foremost, because that's where the population is. Orlando, Tampa, West Palm, Lauderdale, and Miami are expected to be covered within a few months (for those not covered already).

As for the $10, it's NOT a 4G fee, though I understand why people have that misconception.

As for the $10, it's NOT a 4G fee, though I understand why people have that misconception.

What is it for then? Cause when i upgraded i coulda swore it was a advanced network access fee (AKA 4G)

So is it needed if we have no plans of ever going near the 5gb cap? I don't tether or do anything intensive w/ my Pre, and I don't want to have to tack on $10 a month to my bill if/when I upgrade to a 4G enabled phone in October.

... I'd LOVE to give you one specific to your area, but a town of some sorts would be nice. You have to realize that the major cities will be covered first and foremost, because that's where the population is. Orlando, Tampa, West Palm, Lauderdale, and Miami are expected to be covered within a few months (for those not covered already).

Yeah that's all I was really after, if there was a city launch list or schedule etc. I don't anticipate my city (vero beach) being added any time soon, as I said. I'm curious as to what sort of timeframe they have for adding cities though as it would give me a better idea in the longrun of whether or not I will see the service in the next 2-4 years. For my town specifically though, no false hopes of being added soon.

Re: the $10 fee.....The way each site I've been on pricing them out has put it, it is a advanced 4g network fee that is mandatory on all 4g capable phones.
If it is true that it is only to remove the cap, that'd be nice. However while digging through the fine prints last night I saw that "unlimited web" means "300mb web" for 3g service. If that goes away with the $10 fee, awesome. That isn't the way they phrase it though.

300mb? what?
sprint has had a 5GB unenforced cap on 3g services for a while now.

Yeah, the 5GB cap was turned into a "truly" unlimited capless experience, and also added WIRED tethering for free. 300mb is your data cap when *roaming*.

I tried to find that table that showed the "4G - unlimited, 3G - 300mb" and can't find it now. So I contacted Sprint and they wouldn't comment on what I had seen, only provided other information (which was fine). They said the 5gb is accurate, and $52 per gb thereafter.

The roaming bit makes sense, I thought about that last night, but had already quit searching for the night. If I remember right I was on one of the click-through sales sites when I saw it, so it may have been mis-placed. 300mb sounded downright ridiculous.

I tried to find that table that showed the "4G - unlimited, 3G - 300mb" and can't find it now. So I contacted Sprint and they wouldn't comment on what I had seen, only provided other information (which was fine). They said the 5gb is accurate, and $52 per gb thereafter.

The roaming bit makes sense, I thought about that last night, but had already quit searching for the night. If I remember right I was on one of the click-through sales sites when I saw it, so it may have been mis-placed. 300mb sounded downright ridiculous.

$52 per GB after 5, holy crap lol

Ya they had it priced down to the per-MB... i forget what it was but it equalled out to like $51.08/GB or some such.
It would be nice if they would just call it what it is though.

4G is unlimited, but only on 4G networks
3G is 5GB
the 300MB is off-network usage.

So even if you have a 4G phone with the Premium DATA fee, you are still limited to 5GB if you don't have 4G service in your area.

This plan includes

* Unlimited 4G usage. Download mammoth files, watch streaming videos and video conferencing without the lag. More coverage locations coming soon!
* Peak download speeds of over 10 Mbps and average download speeds of 3-6 Mbps
* 3G coverage nationwide: 5GB/mo. in total or 300 MB/mo. while off-network roaming. Additional monthly usage over 5GB while on network costs 5¢/MB and over 300 MB while off-network roaming costs 25¢/MB. You can check your usage online anytime. Sign into www.sprint.com/mysprint and click on see all usage.
* Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred. See what you can do with 5GB or 300MB a month on a 3G connection plan.
* > Learn more about what's included in this plan

Sprint actually told me that 3G is unlimited on 4G phones.

also, anecdotal, but my friend had a palm pre since it came out basically, and a sprint 3g USB card, and would constantly go beyond 5, even 10gb, and sprint never said a word or charged him.

So the hot poll then would be "How many people have gone over 5gb and not been charged?"

It seems like it would not be too hard especially if they count the TV etc services as web data.

FWIW, I ordered the service last night, so I guess I will find out one way or another myself.

Back