Does anyone have a size list for Razer / etc mice?

Ronco

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm on the lookout for smaller high-performance mice and I'm wondering if there is a list out there of the major popular gaming mice with size listings.

Yay for Wiki nerds! Thanks

Apparently Steelseries & Roccat doesn't have as many dedicated nerds :(

Looks like the Spectre may be worth trying out but I'm not fond of the Starcraft branding.

The G9X kills my index finger.

I think I'm on the verge of grasping (ahaha) what works for me and what doesn't. What I want is a more 'mound-y' mouse, i.e. that's not relatively flat like the G9X, but one that has pronounced curvature in the body, especially at the front (unlike e.g. the Razer Imperator which flattens out at the front). Lengthwise I think something like the G9X would work well which is why I'm looking for something small, but the shape is wrong.

e.g. I've hung onto as many of the ageing Logitech MX1000's that still work for example, because it's more comfortable than the later Revolution and MX series. The MX1000's 'front curve' is steeper than the MX Revolution for example. The Microsoft Bluetrack Mobile Mouse 6000 is another one that I find comfortable, and once again it has a pronounced curvature at the front.

Last edited:
I went from the G9 to the Razer Deathadder and its the most comfortable mouse Ive ever used. Its not that small but it fits inside my hand like it was made for it. It has a higher arc than the G9 so your fingers rest on it better and fit perfectly on the left and right buttons. Head down to Best Buy and check one out. Mine didnt have any on display but you can maybe talk them into letting you open the box and cop a feel.

I don't really have the time or the inclination to head down to the local equivalent of Best Buy - and its debatable whether they'd have anything worth trying. I went to the local store a few weeks ago to hunt for a mat and apart from the slew of 'regular' mice all they had was a couple of Razers and a RAT3.

Cooler Master looks interesting and promising. Significantly less than I'd usually spend on a mouse though, I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

Does anyone have a side-on shot of a comparison between the Deathadder and the Imperator? Because for me, while the Imperator is tolerable, it does still cause finger pain after intensive use.

If you want small you should be looking at the Abyssus or Kinzu. The DeathAdder is a big mouse.

The Abyssus shape looks unsuitable. The Kinzu looks to be a bit too barren of features.

Abyssus is designed for claw-grippers only. Jitter is hit or miss, the ones that jitter are picky about cloth pads.

Kinzu has one of the worst sensors known to man, I'd avoid it.

Imperator uses the Twin-Eye sensor, I'd also avoid that too. If you want the shape, get a MX518 or G400.

Just picked up a DeathAdder from Razor. Had the Copperhead before and I have to say that the DeathAdder is a bit bigger and heavier. However, it's a solid mouse and I like it more than the Copperhead.

I give the Deathadder a thumbs up. :)

Abyssus is designed for claw-grippers only. Jitter is hit or miss, the ones that jitter are picky about cloth pads.

Kinzu has one of the worst sensors known to man, I'd avoid it.

Imperator uses the Twin-Eye sensor, I'd also avoid that too. If you want the shape, get a MX518 or G400.

The curving G400 *might* be a choice.

It would be really, really nice if someone had all of the ones I've shortlisted above and were able to line'em up...

I was going to suggest the Deathadder as it seems to fill out my hand from the hump shape rather than having a low profile straight design.

The Abyssus shape looks unsuitable. The Kinzu looks to be a bit too barren of features.

Don't forget that the Kinzu sensor is also a piece of shit. If you're into that shape, however, the Xai may be a suitable choice. It's got a relatively pronounced bump in the back that drops down into the front. Besides that, I would also suggest the Zowie Mico. It's an extremely small and light mouse, about the smallest you'll find with a gaming-grade pedigree. It's got kind of an egg shape to it. I'm using it right now over the Abyssus, Xai, G9x, DA, EC2 and... the Spawn. If you like the DA shape, the Zowie EC2 is basically the same thing but around 20% smaller. It's an excellent mouse as well, IMO.

People will likely suggest the Spawn, but it was one of the worst mice I've ever used. It's got this funky shape where you feel like you're holding a baseball instead of a mouse and the sensor has three different firmware versions that you can bounce back and forth between that all have problems. One of them has very low lift off distance, but also an extremely low maximum control speed. My cursor wigs out in ordinary desktop use its so low. The other firmwares have higher lift off, but also a slightly higher control speed.

Read this thread if you want to see an actually critical and incisive review of the Spawn:

http://www.overclock.net/mice/1076117-my-cm-storm-spawn-experience.html

I was going to suggest the Deathadder as it seems to fill out my hand from the hump shape rather than having a low profile straight design.

What I've found as being important for my comfort is that the front should curve down pretty steeply as far as mice are concerned. So e.g. mice like the MX Revolution are borderline (i.e. they cause me discomfort eventually but the MX1000 isn't a problem. If you compare the two side by side you'll notice the difference in 'humpiness' - the MX1000 is 'humpier'.

So here are some of the relevant mice I happen to have right now lined up in order of most pain -> least pain. I've spaced them out in a sort of linear scale.

And this is the profile shot of the mice.

Maybe the linear scale isn't fully accurate, but I would have to say even the fairly 'swoopy at the front' MX R is fairly close to the Imperator in terms of comfort because it's not as 'humpy' as the MX1000, and the wear marks on the MX R indicate that my fingers would be, despite the variance in shape, in almost the same position as the Imperator.

The G9x with the flattest profile by far (even with the humped case) causes me major pain. The Mobile Mouse causes me zero pain.

Last edited:
People will likely suggest the Spawn, but it was one of the worst mice I've ever used. It's got this funky shape where you feel like you're holding a baseball instead of a mouse and the sensor has three different firmware versions that you can bounce back and forth between that all have problems. One of them has very low lift off distance, but also an extremely low maximum control speed. My cursor wigs out in ordinary desktop use its so low. The other firmwares have higher lift off, but also a slightly higher control speed.

Read this thread if you want to see an actually critical and incisive review of the Spawn:

http://www.overclock.net/mice/1076117-my-cm-storm-spawn-experience.html

I still like my spawn. I use it with a XTRAC Ripper pad and so far so good. I've been through practically every gaming mouse with my most recent being the RAT 7. While the RAT 7 worked fine I was blown away by the significant improvement in tracking of the spawn over the RAT. I do agree the shape is awkward at first but I've adjusted. I just put my pinky on the outside of the mouse and not use the indentation (where spawn is in white letters) and all is good.

Here's a qoute from that overclock forum.

"Is this a claw mouse? Yes. Is the size appropriate for most people? I think it's better suited for ones with smaller hands. The g9x is as small as I would want a mouse and the Spawn seems to push that limit."

I agree, I have small hands and use the claw grip when gaming. The g9x (I have one) is a little smaller width wise but the middle mouse wheel click function is a deal breaker. To hard to press compared to most mice.

Just reread you requirements. Not sure what will work for you. Maybe you should look at an old mouse I absolutely loved. It was small and fit my hand very well. The Logitech MX310. You might be able to pick one up on ebay.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104136

Last edited:
I've placed an order for the Spawn.

Interesting re: RAT comparison - I found it singularly uncomfortable and wasn't impressed by the tracking, so it may be that I'm on the right path here with the Spawn.

I've posted another thread about what others I should consider since this thread was originally asking for size measurements, but any other alternatives will be welcomed.

Spawn opinion - looking pretty good so far. I'm not sure if this is it, but it's certainly much more tolerable than e.g. the Imperator. Performance is perfectly OK on the right surface.

I think I'm still intrigued enough by the Steelseries shape to take a punt on the Xai or the Sensei - probably the Sensei.

Also tell me something guys - why is it that so many gaming mice have a lot of jitter or just plain don't track well on the very same dark surfaces that the very same companies freakin' sell? I don't get it. I have very little problems in this respect with products from 'the big boys'.

The Abyssus/DeathAdder 3.5G sensor actually only has problems with Steelseries's cloth pads. They work perfectly on Razer's.

And they don't track well because they pick bad sensors to put in their mice. The best mouse sensor to date is an 1800CPI/DPI optical in the original Deathadder, but that number isn't high enough for marketing people and laser sounds cooler than infrared.

Razer replaced their own perfect sensor (original DA) with the new one (3.5G - the one that has the jitters) because it goes to 3500 CPI/DPI, even though it still tracks better at 1800 than 3500. Logitech jumped on the lazerz-r-cool bandwagon when they went from the MX518->G5, even though the 518 is technically superior in almost every way. SteelSeries genuinely fucked up with the Kinzu and Ikari sensors. It wasn't about marketing, they just picked bad sensors.

The problem is a lot of them don't track properly/well on dark smoother surfaces. The gaming mice from the majors seem to manage it just fine, but Razer et al apparently have issues.

Well the question is, are you using a dark smooth surface? :p

I've heard Razer released a firmware update for it and the more recently produced Abyssus's don't have the problem anymore, but I can't confirm it. My solution was just to get a dark, rough surface (Goliathus Control.)

Just to bookend this thread, I've ordered a small bunch of Spawns as my standard wired desktop mouse. Zero pain sice I fully switched (well, apart from the odd pain from using the massively overhyped Filcos/etc mechanical and Topre keyboards). Decent performance. Call me happy.

Back