Does anybody have a: 22" iZ3D 3D Monitor?

SH1

[H]ard|Gawd
Was just wondering...especially if 2D text quality is as good as on a normal LCD?

I've been dying to read an updated review of this monitor. The price has dropped to $600 or so. That's either really good (cheaper manufacturing costs) or really bad (they can't sell em'!).

Still it's so difficult to invest in a product you've never seen. I'm not fortunate enough to have a demo anywhere near my area, either.

I can't wait for this technology to really take off. Seeing gaming and movies in 3D (movies in my experience) is bound to be such a great thing once perfected.

I got to see these monitors in person in a demo at the local Fry's store. I was impressed - it looks at least as good as my shutterglasses+CRT, yet without the flicker. I did not notice any of the ghosting issues (reported on mtbs3d) which had previously scared me from purchasing the monitor (even while trying to - with one eye closed.) The viewing angle seemed OK; I did not have to stand still and hold my head at a certain angle/position to see the colors and the depth effect. I walked back and forth in fron of the monitor with the glasses on and everything seemed good. This is something I assume works better than a traditional stereomirror setup. I thought about it for a day, furiously researching the pros and cons of going for large DLP-checkerboard or dual-lcd-stereomirror instead, and decided to buy the IZ3D the next night. You can now order them directly to your local Wal-mart or Staples store for about 350 USD. ($50 cheaper than the Fry's) I ordered mine from Staples.com and my e.t.a. is tomorrow. I will try to post an update whether I am really satisfied this weekend. <stoked>
Another reason I had not purchased this before seeing the demo, was fear that I would not like its size. In the store it seemed OK for one or two player gaming/viewing (my primary use would be my PC games.) I would hold out for the larger prototype 26" so that I could play games and watch movies further from the screen (from a couch), but I think these will be so expensive over the next year or so that I would be able to build an even larger DIY dual-LCD stereo-mirror setup instead for the same price. Doing so, perhaps I could also use the screens separately for editing work...

Back

I picked up the monitor yesterday from staples (an online order). Some first impressions:

2D
No problem with text. I did have a different issue in normal (2D) desktop viewing: without the glasses on you can still slightly see a the image from the front layer panel. The image that I was seeing was the cloned desktop background (display 2). "Easy enough to fix", I thought, " I will just disable that display while in 2D mode." Well this works at removing the ghostly image, but it makes an annoying blue LED on the front of the monitor flicker on and off like crazy. So I decided to leave the monitor enabled for now, and placed an empty white background on the secondary display (the front layer panel) That settled my only 2D viewing issue (so far) Otherwise, it looks the same as other 22 LCDs i have used.

3D gaming
The 3D is great. It is about as good as shutter glasses without the sometimes noticeable flicker they have, and with a much brighter image than with the shutters I've tried. In fact, I had to turn down the brightness of the monitor and may later have to use driver controls for some of the brighter games.
I am feeding the iZ3d with an 8800GT (512) So far I have tried UT2004, UT3 and the latest Tomb Raider demo:
UT2004 seems to run fine at max settings, full frames, and full resolution (1680x1050) in great looking 3D.
UT3 does not fare so well. I have to turn all my settings down to blurry PICMIP looking settings to get full frames ( >60 fps) I may only play this one in 3D offline, until I can find dual-gpu setup with lots of ram that can push the game to more playable levels. I think that the only multiple GPU technology so far that the iZ3D driver supports on the iZ3D monitor yet is CrossfireX, if even that. I saw this info in a press release from last year but I am going to ask iZ3D about it first before I waste any money.
The latest Tomb Raider did not even load, I was greeted with a bunch of flickering rolling lines and the desktop, instead. I checked their user forums and they are working on it. Perhaps it will be working later, and maybe the price of the game will also be reduced by then.

Back