DOCSIS 3.1 Brings 10 Gbps Downstream, 1 Gbps Upstream to Cable Modems

Huh. I have Comcast's 1Gbps service and no data cap. If you get the Gigabit Pro which is 2Gbps symmetrical fiber, you also have no data caps.

At $299/month and $500 installation fee in my area. I'll wait for ATT Fiber to bring the competition, hopefully.

Here's a little story: Recently I got an email/notification stating I had hit 90% of the 1 TB cap...this was about 4 days ago or so, so near the end of the month. As such, I stopped any downloads/tried to cut down my usage for a few days, figuring I could avoid using more than that 100 GB in a few days.

Then a couple days later I get a notification that I had hit 100% and used up my last "grace period" month. My question is, how the fuck did I use ~100 GB of data in two days with no downloads, and only minimal streaming and Netflix usage?

I think Comcast's data tracking is questionable at best. If I had gotten charged for it (which, next time supposedly they will do) I'd be calling customer support to pitch a fit. I already pay them almost $110/mo just for internet. Shit is ridiculous.

This is exactly what happened to me, I'm on an internet only plan 59.99 for 250/20 (which is apparently the best price the reps on the phone had ever seen, don't care, your service isn't worth any of that money if it sucks, and it does), I had the chance to dump them at one of our apartments as we had a municipal fiber ISP, $70/mo for 1Gbps symmetrical... god I miss that so much.

Here's a little story: Recently I got an email/notification stating I had hit 90% of the 1 TB cap...this was about 4 days ago or so, so near the end of the month. As such, I stopped any downloads/tried to cut down my usage for a few days, figuring I could avoid using more than that 100 GB in a few days.

Then a couple days later I get a notification that I had hit 100% and used up my last "grace period" month. My question is, how the fuck did I use ~100 GB of data in two days with no downloads, and only minimal streaming and Netflix usage?

I think Comcast's data tracking is questionable at best. If I had gotten charged for it (which, next time supposedly they will do) I'd be calling customer support to pitch a fit. I already pay them almost $110/mo just for internet. Shit is ridiculous.
HD Video content will eat you alive. I remember when I first got my ASUS AC3200 router and seeing all the cool data analytics it has built in. I watched an episode of The Walking Dead, 40 minutes of "HDX" video from Vudu. My router showed me I had transferred ~56GB. Looking at my router now, I played about 1 hr of Futurama on Netflix last night, it shows just over 4GB of data transferred. Keep in mind, that's a cartoon, it's going to have a lower amount of data transferred than the same video length of a real life television show that's got a ton more color and detail.

This sounds all good, but no consumer will see equipment for this probably until 2025 at the earliest. I think this is mostly for businesses. What is the point of this anyway? Comcast, Spectrum, etc, will probably only offer 1Gbit for the foreseeable future. Not to mention the silly bandwidth caps at 1TB.

I have Netflix, and we pay for 2 screens with HD, but only set it to medium quality to keep the data usage down. Of course, only watching it on laptops, no big screen 4K TVs.
We have Spectrum at $45/mo, ~60 Mbps down and ~6 Mbps up. Plenty fast.

Back