Do you like suppression in BF3?

Do you like suppression in BF3?

• I like it.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • I don't like it.

Votes: 61 47.7%

• Total voters
I will say that in ArmA 2, suppression is handled well IMO. If you get "suppressed", you may get a bit of blurring on the screen (dust being kicked up, etc.) and your weapon sway increases quite a bit. You don't get any penalties to recoil or bullet deviation AFAIK.

I actually have never noticed when I'm being suppressed? How can you tell? I tend to use the suppression unlock on some clases b/c it's an extra 50pts everytime you are shooting at someone and they die.

The symptoms include fatigue, loss of appetite, things you normally like to do are no longer enjoyable, loss of interest in sex, crying and weeping, loss of concentration, headaches and body aches, ect and a blurriness of the screen and difficulty aiming your gun. There is anti-suppressant medication that may help.

The symptoms include fatigue, loss of appetite, things you normally like to do are no longer enjoyable, loss of interest in sex, crying and weeping, loss of concentration, headaches and body aches, ect and a blurriness of the screen and difficulty aiming your gun. There is anti-suppressant medication that may help.

You forgot, "If you experience suppression that lasts for more than 4 hours, consult a doctor immediately". :D

Over 200 hours of BF3 played and I do not know what suppression is. Too lazy to do a search.

Cracks me up every time I watch it, and is also extremely effective at pointing out how absurd the new suppression mechanic is.

I haven't played BF3 since this patch. Clearly, I need to so I can gain a few ranks before DICE realizes the problem.

I haven't played BF3 since this patch. Clearly, I need to so I can gain a few ranks before DICE realizes the problem.

I hadn't much either until recently when I wanted to bench my new card. Very quickly remembered why I stopped playing way back when, in addition to all the new suppression BS.

DICE should just stick to making the engine and coming up with ideas, and let another studio who actually has half a clue about how to implement them and has some basic understanding about balancing handle the rest.

DICE should just stick to making the engine and coming up with ideas, and let another studio who actually has half a clue about how to implement them and has some basic understanding about balancing handle the rest.

What are you talking about, ADD DOLPHIN DIVING TO BF3. I will get DICE to add THIS FEATURE.

:p

AMEN to that. for how much this was hyped up, the destruction, physics, etc, it is a huge let down to me. Far to many things are overdone, or not down enough, and most of it makes no sence. The sounds are great, most of the other things are not. Like I thought these maps were going to be huge, if so, WTF is there not bombers like we had in BF2.

They should let others make the game, just like activision does, or maybe even listen 10% of the time when customers say something, and make it the game we would like to be playing, vs one that not even the devs understand :)

FUCK NO

It makes you feel like shooting blanks, even when using a goddamn 16pound LMG with a deployed bipod, worst implementation ever !

want proper suppresion ? play Project Reality/Darkest Hour/Red Orchestra heroes of stalingrad beta steam client

suppresion should not affect ADS spread, PERIOD !!!

When using proper teamwork, getting points for suppressing the enemy while your team wipes them out is great. The blurred vision when getting shot at is fine. Everything else about it is garbage.

Apparently, DICE has zero idea how to balance a game without fucking something up.

Cracks me up every time I watch it, and is also extremely effective at pointing out how absurd the new suppression mechanic is.

people cramming into a hallway with an MG spraying at it shows how bad the effect is?

those morons should die, they are running headfirst at a LMG thowing lead down a small space

they do need to ditch the dev

nothing worse than fighting thru the effect to line up a headshot and WHIFF

people cramming into a hallway with an MG spraying at it shows how bad the effect is?

those morons should die, they are running headfirst at a LMG thowing lead down a small space

Did you actually watch the whole video, or just the first 10 seconds?

AMEN to that. for how much this was hyped up, the destruction, physics, etc, it is a huge let down to me.

Well in fairness, those things (engine, physics, destruction) are extremely well done. The gameplay and balance are what is missing. :D

Did you actually watch the whole video, or just the first 10 seconds?

yes I watched the whole video

half of it was him proning and firing at a group of people and getting kills.

some of the running around in the larger areas....eh, its still a full auto LMG at short range. what do you expect, you cant see the other guys view so you never even know if they are trying hard to shoot him

yes I watched the whole video

half of it was him proning and firing at a group of people and getting kills.

some of the running around in the larger areas....eh, its still a full auto LMG at short range. what do you expect, you cant see the other guys view so you never even know if they are trying hard to shoot him

He was running around with an LMG standing up in the middle of a bunch of enemies firing randomly, and not only surviving, but getting suppression assist and kills like crazy. I think that says it all right there.

Supressive fire is supposed to make your enemy think twice about sticking their heads out of cover. Nothing more. It isn't supposed to blind people or screw up your accuracy so the other guy's no shooting ass can get some points too.

This is all a result of that "we are all winners" and "no child left behind" era crap.

Supressive fire is supposed to make your enemy think twice about sticking their heads out of cover. Nothing more. It isn't supposed to blind people or screw up your accuracy so the other guy's no shooting ass can get some points too.

This is all a result of that "we are all winners" and "no child left behind" era crap.

Exactly - guns do not become any less accurate, or recoil any more. I honestly think game designers and game devs who work on "realistic" games should be forced to go to the range and fire some real guns. They need to learn things like how on a lot of guns are accruate at 100 yards within 1 MOA. There's no "random bullet skew" happening.

Exactly - guns do not become any less accurate, or recoil any more. I honestly think game designers and game devs who work on "realistic" games should be forced to go to the range and fire some real guns. They need to learn things like how on a lot of guns are accruate at 100 yards within 1 MOA. There's no "random bullet skew" happening.

So you've been under live-fire attacks and know exactly how your personal firearm handling is affected while under the threat of potential death and dismemberment?

The system in place isn't supposed to be some simulation of what happens to the guns themselves when someone shoots at you, it's supposed to simulate what a soldier goes through when there's a hail of very real bullets falling down on his ass.

So you've been under live-fire attacks and know exactly how your personal firearm handling is affected while under the threat of potential death and dismemberment?

The system in place isn't supposed to be some simulation of what happens to the guns themselves when someone shoots at you, it's supposed to simulate what a soldier goes through when there's a hail of very real bullets falling down on his ass.

And I understand that. And it's totally irrelevant if I've had rounds over my head. What IS relevant is that in boot camp, an exercise done is to crawl under barbed wire, with live rounds going over your head (1 in 5 rounds or whatever is a tracer, so you KNOW there are rounds up there.) If you stand up, you're cut up by wire, then your head explodes. It is the JOB of the Army, Marines, whoever to train their soldiers to handle live fire situations well, and not just lock up and hide in a corner.

So you're either telling me that you think that soldiers trained by the US, Russia and whoever else are not actually trained well (at which point I call bullshit) or that the game should handle as if the players were untrained...at which point, I'm going to ask how then a soldier in game is even able to fire a fully loaded PKM, M60, SAW or whatever else....from the hip. The things are 20lbs+ unloaded. Depending on the rounds loaded, they gain A LOT of weight loaded. My Mk 14 EBR (what they call a M39 in game) is heavy as it is: aluminum stock that is front heavy, 22" barrel, Leupold Mk 4 3.5-10x scope, Harris bipod. Firing that thing from the shoulder, it's heavy. And that is just with a 20 round box magazine.

And you miss the point of surpressive fire from a tactical perspective in the real world. It is supposed to keep the enemy in cover trying not to get shot themselves. That is all the tactic is used for. It's keeping you alive so you can buy time to think, regroup, come up with a new plan of attack, hold out for reinforcements, etc. It doesn't make the guy being shot at less accurate. It doesn't change the weapon's characteristics or do anything for the soldier but make him stick to cover and not get shot.

I hate to use cover based shooters as an example, but in Mass Effect or Gears or War, when the enemy is shooting at you, you stay behind cover to avoid getting shot because it will kill you. You do it to recover, reload, and THINK about how you are going to take out the bad guys. This is how supressive fire effects the one being supressed and the one doing the supression. You do not need to undergo live fire training to understand the mechanics of how these things work. It's not that complicated. It doesn't make vision hazy, or fuck up my accuracy.

I agree with maverick. BF is turning far to much into an arcade shooter, vs what we come to expect from the series. Suppresion, a cool effect, if it worked the same on everyone, but as it is, the fact that not only does it screw you up, but that you take damage from it well that just stinks.

Not a question you asked, but I am 100% disappointed with BF3 by and large, the few things they did well, are full out destroyed by the choises they made without judgment, I can rant for 30 mins if need be, but do not think its needed. DICE and EA can kiss my hard earned $ goodbye untill they prove to ME they actually tired to do something beyond screwing with a good thing and just adding hollywood crap to glitz up and destroy something that could have been sheer awesome :)

BF series has always been an arcade shooter first

BF series has always been an arcade shooter first

Kinda true. I think the problem now is they're trying to portray it as a "tactical" shooter with elements of realism (suppression, weapon mods, etc), but still have the "arcade" elements in there and it fucks it all up. You kinda gotta either pick one or the other. BF1942 wasn't exactly realistic, but it was balanced and fun. Same with most of the other BF games up until now (excluding BC2). ArmA 2 is a good example of a tactical shooter with realism. BF3 tries to have both and can't pull it off.

Well for one, we don't actually want a really realistic shooter, it wouldn't be any fun.

However in the case of bullet skew, that is to try and compensate for the fact that you have perfect stability with a mouse, but not in real life. My SIG516 is accurate to 1 MOA, maybe better. I've tested it at the range and can group about 1 inch at 100 yards which is 1 MOA (MOA is a range independent figure). However to get that kind of accuracy I have to have it on a bipod, be sitting down, and control my breathing. Standing up holding it, not breathing hard, not under any stress, just shooting, and my accuracy is WAY worse. I just can't hold it rock steady.

I personally don't want them to concentrate on realism, I want them to worry more about fun. I think we see problems in games precisely because they decide they need to do something because it is "realistic" regardless of if said thing is actually realistic or not. The first and foremost question should be "Is it fun?" if not then don't do it.

agreed with sycraft fully, I will add one more thing to that though.

Does it make sence, if not, stop doing crap just to be different :p

The one that really gets me, is hit detection/latency compensation. They have been doing these games(BF) for how long, and these are still an issue, so they have to throw LC in there which generally only helps the shooter, not the victim, is terrible concept.

I guess it really does boil down to, they are trying to be the "best" at something, many different things in the same game, where before they were just trying to make the game the best they could. example, BF2. Nothing else was really like it at the time, it was different AND well done(bugs will always be there) they did not seem to be trying to be better then another company, but trying to make the best game they could.

DICE would probably do 1000x better without being under EA beckon call, like it once used to be :)

Back