Do they make 3.5" solid state drives?

Bird222

[H]ard|Gawd
I am looking to get a 2TB and a 1TB SATA ssd drives but I'm having trouble finding any. Do they only come in the 2.5 form factor and I need to use a drive cage? Also which brands do you recommend?

For raw storage, a team group AX2 or something like that is fine for half the cost. There are reasons it’s cheaper but I doubt you would know unless you looked at crystal disk. A simple 2.5-3.5” adapter is all you need. You can find 2x 2.5 adapters as well if you have the sata ports.

For raw storage, a team group AX2 or something like that is fine for half the cost. There are reasons it’s cheaper but I doubt you would know unless you looked at crystal disk. A simple 2.5-3.5” adapter is all you need. You can find 2x 2.5 adapters as well if you have the sata ports.
True, but they're also SSDs, so if the case isn't going to move too much or aesthetics aren't important, save a few bucks and let 'em hang out in an open space.

Bird222, most cases made in the last many years have 2.5" compatibility already present in the 3.5" mountings. Look for some closer spaced holes that would go into the underside of a 2.5" drive.

Doesn't make any sense for a capacity so small. I was always hoping for a 3.5" with 100TB or so, but the market would be small for it and they keep shrinking these down so fast that they don't need it. I'm sure we will se 16TB M2 drives soon.

True, but they're also SSDs, so if the case isn't going to move too much or aesthetics aren't important, save a few bucks and let 'em hang out in an open space.

Bird222, most cases made in the last many years have 2.5" compatibility already present in the 3.5" mountings. Look for some closer spaced holes that would go into the underside of a 2.5" drive.
Hanging loose? Double sided sticky tape works well.

I actually picked up one of these at my local bestbuy when I needed an adapter.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insign...-or-hard-drives-black/6500521.p?skuId=6500521

Hanging loose? Double sided sticky tape works well.

I actually picked up one of these at my local bestbuy when I needed an adapter.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insign...-or-hard-drives-black/6500521.p?skuId=6500521
What can I say? I spend my money on the components, the rest is just details I don't dish out for if I can help it. All my 2.5" SSDs are generally in older cases and systems where I can't look inside, so if there isn't a mount built in, I just connect and put out of the way. It's not like it's going to hurt anything.

I've never seen a consumer grade 3.5" SSD. Just use a cheap adapter bracket.

My case is old so it doesn't have 2.5" bays. Hell, it still has a floppy drive. lol Ok, it looks like I'm going with 2.5" drives and an adapter. Anybody have any other recommendations besides the Samsung 870 Evo or is that the gold standard?

My case is old so it doesn't have 2.5" bays. Hell, it still has a floppy drive. lol Ok, it looks like I'm going with 2.5" drives and an adapter. Anybody have any other recommendations besides the Samsung 870 Evo or is that the gold standard?
I have a really old case too...like 20 or so. It is just loaded with 5.25 and 3.5 bays, so I filled it with a slug of hard drives to turn it into a NAS.

ANYWAY, what is your goal? What is your mobo? Is this going to be your boot drive? They make those PCIe to NVME adapter thingies so you can put an NVME in if you have a spare slot and they're only like $15. Then you are more ready for the future than with a regular ol' SSD. The catch is in most cases you can't boot from that device.

i literally just saw a blister pack packaged ssd where the "tech" cut the end of the blister pack open to plug it in and then used a twist tie to hang it from the 3.5 cage. get a drive that fits your capacity needs and jam it in there somewhere, use double sided tape if you must...
ps: one of mine just lives on the floor of my case, at goofy angle, under the hdd.

My last "2.5" inch ssd was 90% empty space. I just removed the outer case and the cable tension supports the actual, absolutely tiny, drive. by itself.

I mounted 2.5 inch SSDs in 3.5 inch bays just by screwing in one side, seems to hold well and cools well.

Remember the short time and waste of space for hybrid drives. Glad that did not catch on.

It's not really a thing as enterprise flash storage is shifting to smaller format drives than 2.5". It just doesn't make sense as the space would just be wasted.

They absolutely make these. The cost is obscene and the performance is LOL.

ExaDrive
LOL. These are not "cost effective"

ExaDrive NL series​

CapacitySATA Model #EndurancePrice
16 TB (QLC)EDNLT0160.2 to 0.6 DWPD$3,200
32 TB (QLC)EDNLT0320.2 to 0.6 DWPD$6,200
64 TB (QLC)EDNLT0640.2 to 0.6 DWPDSpecial Order

ExaDrive DC series​

CapacitySATA Model #EndurancePrice
16 TB (TLC)EDDCT016Unlimited for 5 yrs$4,000
32 TB (TLC)EDDCT032Unlimited for 5 yrs$8,000
64 TB (TLC)EDDCT064Unlimited for 5 yrs$16,000
100 TB (TLC)EDDCT100Unlimited for 5 yrsSpecial Order

Nope.
If you are talking scam then say so.
I don't think it's scam as much as pricing what the market will bear. For business customers, it comes down to "total cost of ownership," including space considerations, power consumption, and the cost of processing a given "workload." Think about a rackmount drive storage server like this one. https://www.newegg.com/rosewill-rsv-l4412u-black/p/N82E16811147330 With HDDs, the max drive size is 20-22 TB, and those drives will require a lot of power and cooling. Now you can get up to 5X the storage, with a lot less power required, AND faster response times. And if a company is refreshing storage to replace 3-4 year old drives, those would be say 10-12 TB, so up to a 10X storage boost. What's not to like, aside from the price?

For now , this company has this market niche to itself. But if there is one truism in tech, it's that no market advantage lives forever.

For now , this company has this market niche to itself. But if there is one truism in tech, it's that no market advantage lives forever.
As I alluded to in my second post, Samsung (and others) are hot on their heels with better stuff. Samsung just teased a 256TB unit.

Call for price aside, I strongly suspect the Nimbus unit is a lot less than the $40k price (as MLC flash) at launch.

The Crucial MX500 series is the next best thing, and is generally cheaper. The 2TB model is significantly cheaper than Samsung's (~$95 vs $120), but right now on Amazon, the 4TB Samsung is a bit more attractive at only ~$10 more than Crucial's 4TB.

Back