Do Samsung Galaxy smartphones still lag due to Touchwiz?

For me, It’s been the same thing with every galaxy phone since the 4. It’s fast in the store and for the first few months. You notice little hiccups here and there and eventually it’s a laggy mess. You think it’s the apps or something you changed but when you do a factory reset, it’s still laggy.

For me, It’s been the same thing with every galaxy phone since the 4. It’s fast in the store and for the first few months. You notice little hiccups here and there and eventually it’s a laggy mess. You think it’s the apps or something you changed but when you do a factory reset, it’s still laggy.

And yet the S6 I've had for about three years now performs the same as it did when I first got it. I've never done a reset of any type on it.

Scamdung I mean Samsuck, still loves thier Lagwiz.

Play with a phone in the store and it feels very smooth almost like a pixel but if you buy one, then around six months later lagwiz rears its ugly head again.

Right now the best Android phone is still the Pixel 2 XL, hands down, no question.

Not even the worse of it all yet!

They’ll release an obviously untested “security” patch that will drain your phone in under two hours, crack your screen and kick your dog.

Or cause random reboots. Fix won’t come out for 2 months.

Right now the best Android phone is still the Pixel 2 XL, hands down, no question.
No headphone jack and no microSD slot automatically disqualify the Pixel 2 XL from being the best Android device, not having an active digitizer pen is another major point against it and everything else that isn't a Galaxy Note, and I hope that Google gets their act together on their OLED panel quality control - rather, the lack thereof - that I keep hearing about.

Once Project Treble becomes more established on phones with unlocked bootloaders, the Pixel loses its biggest selling point when anyone can just go download a Generic System Image ROM and flash it onto their device of choice.

I just wish Samsung didn't decide to specifically screw us Americans over with locked bootloader variants, because a Note with the option for stock Android would be the best of everything... at least as close as I can get to that without a removable battery, a slide-out physical keyboard and curved screen edges that do not belong on a penabled device, but that'll never happen because my tastes are decidedly un-mainstream.

Some say that the S9(+) having Project Treble is enough of a selling point over the last generation (Note 8 included, and they really need to stop delaying the Notes so late in the year just so they get overshadowed by the next-gen S series in a matter of months, with newer software and a next-gen SoC), but that alone isn't going to stop them from dragging their heels on updates. What especially sucks about that is that US unlocked models have to wait until every single major carrier has pushed out theirs due to having to potentially run on any of them, which is the exact opposite of what you'd expect from an unlocked device that isn't supposed to have carriers meddling with it.

Headphone jack? What's the point without a good DAC like LG has? Just use an USB-C headphone or a Bluetooth 5 one, or use an adapter. Get with the times already. If sound quality isn't the primary reasoning behind wanting a headphone jack, you're just holding on to an obsolete port for no logical reasons.

A microSD card is certainly a good option to have, but I rather have dual SIM capability. I buy phones with enough internal memory from the get-go. I use Google Photos and my NAS to backup all my photos (and videos). I'm surely not the only one here. Dual-sim would at least satisfy the needs of international travelers. While I'm glad that TMo and Sprint (and in turn Google Fiber) have great international roaming included, sometimes it's just not fast enough. And I get to buy 50GB of data for $15 that expires in a year going to a local carrier overseas. If I want to speed up my international roaming, TMo wants like $30 a month for ____ of non-throttled data. How does that even make sense?

Active digitizer pen is a gimmick on the Note series. 90% of the folks who bought the Note did it because it had the largest screen if not also the longest battery life, at least in the past. And then 9% bought it because it's Samsung's latest and greatest. The 1% of the folks who buys it for the active digitizer pen can brag about it all they want, but it's completely unnecessary for 99.99% of smartphone users out there. (Sure, I've made up the statistics, but you get my point.)

Has Samsung proven itself with Project Treble yet? No. In other thread(s), at least two links were posted that put Samsung in the bottom, if not dead last, compared to other major Android manufacturers for updates despite having Project Treble. 1, Samsung doesn't update past generation phones once the new one comes out. 2, they don't even have a schedule or an update roadmap. So how does the non-existent update strategy make people feel good about Samsung's GS9+??? Where you read that people like GS9+ because Project Treble???

Laggy user experience and knowing that your phone will be obsolete in an year at best disqualify any Samsung TouchWiz products from the best phone category. A great screen can only get so far. Sure, you can say that the Pixel 2 XL may not be the best, but at the very least it's still in contention with great user experience, great camera, and knowing that the manufacturer will update the phone for 3 generations.

I apologize the grammatical errors before.

Last edited:
Headphone jacks? What's the point without a good DAC like LG has? Just use an USB-C headphone or a Bluetooth 5 one. Get with the times already.

A microSD card is certainly a good option to have, but I rather have dual SIM capability. I buy phones with enough internal memory from the get-go. I use Google Photos and my NAS to backup all my photos. I'm surely not the only one here.

Active digitizer pen is a gimmick on the Note series. 90% of the folks who bought the Note did it because it had the largest screen. And then 9% bought it because it's Samsung's latest and greatest. The 1% of the folks who buys it for the digitizer pen can brag about it all you want, but it's completely unnecessary for 99.99% of smartphone users out there. (Sure, I generalizing the statistics but you get my point.)

I deplore the lack of headphone jacks, but realistically, I won't use it. Perhaps the only concern is getting something for the gym.

Otherwise I feel that you're on point.

Headphone jack? What's the point without a good DAC like LG has? Just use an USB-C headphone or a Bluetooth 5 one, or use an adapter. Get with the times already. If sound quality isn't the primary reasoning behind wanting a headphone jack, you're just holding on to an obsolete port for no logical reasons.

A microSD card is certainly a good option to have, but I rather have dual SIM capability. I buy phones with enough internal memory from the get-go. I use Google Photos and my NAS to backup all my photos (and videos). I'm surely not the only one here. Dual-sim would at least satisfy the needs of international travelers. While I'm glad that TMo and Sprint (and in turn Google Fiber) have great international roaming included, sometimes it's just not fast enough. And I get to buy 50GB of data for $15 that expires in a year going to a local carrier overseas. If I want to speed up my international roaming, TMo wants like $30 a month for ____ of non-throttled data. How does that even make sense?

Active digitizer pen is a gimmick on the Note series. 90% of the folks who bought the Note did it because it had the largest screen if not also the longest battery life, at least in the past. And then 9% bought it because it's Samsung's latest and greatest. The 1% of the folks who buys it for the active digitizer pen can brag about it all they want, but it's completely unnecessary for 99.99% of smartphone users out there. (Sure, I've made up the statistics, but you get my point.)

Has Samsung proven itself with Project Treble yet? No. In other thread(s), at least two links were posted that put Samsung in the bottom, if not dead last, compared to other major Android manufacturers for updates despite having Project Treble. 1, Samsung doesn't update past generation phones once the new one comes out. 2, they don't even have a schedule or an update roadmap. So how does the non-existent update strategy make people feel good about Samsung's GS9+??? Where you read that people like GS9+ because Project Treble???

Laggy user experience and knowing that your phone will be obsolete in an year at best disqualify any Samsung TouchWiz products from the best phone category. A great screen can only get so far. Sure, you can say that the Pixel 2 XL may not be the best, but at the very least it's still in contention with great user experience, great camera, and knowing that the manufacturer will update the phone for 3 generations.

I apologize the grammatical errors before.
Separate headphone jack and USB port means I can listen and charge at the same time, without having to keep it sitting on a wireless charging pad. If phone manufacturers were smart, they'd put two USB-C ports in so a headphone dongle doesn't tie up one of them, but they're not that smart, sadly.

Even the much-maligned MacBook with a single USB-C port still has a headphone jack, and that thing pretty much needs a breakout dongle all the time if you want to do anything other than charge or listen. Imagine if it also didn't have the headphone jack!

Also, Bluetooth is demonstrably inferior in audio quality, latency, and the fact that you have to worry about yet another device with a slowly degrading battery that eventually won't hold a charge. It's convenient for some tasks, but there's a reason you don't see Head-Fi sorts using Bluetooth headphones. Still, it's an option that doesn't get taken away just because there's a headphone jack, and more options is better than less in my book.

Maybe the Wacom pen isn't important to 99% of people, but it's important to me, dammit. Real handy for sketching and annotating photos, and on top of that, it's also a mouse pointer, making it very useful for activating mouseover events on Web sites. In fact, there's an Amiga motherboard schematic site that I had to use the pen on my Note 8 for, partly due to the mouseover tooltips and trace highlights, partly due to all the little pads and vias needing the precision of a pen to click on. Can't live without it.

Note that when I say people use Project Treble as a selling point for the S9(+), it's in reference to buying one of those over the Note 8 since they're about the same price. Happens all the time in smartphone communities. It's part of the reason I feel that Samsung needs to just stop with the S+ models and release the Note alongside the corresponding S model early in the year, so it doesn't feel so dated in merely half a year with last year's SoC and software.

And to be quite honest, no phone is the best phone, Android or otherwise. Only Samsung has the Wacom EMR S-Pen. Only LG has an audiophile-grade headphone DAC/amp. Only Sharp and Razer have 120 Hz screens. Only BlackBerry has physical keyboards. Only Google has decent official software updates (not factoring LineageOS or other custom ROMs here because everyone gets those). It's all a matter of tradeoffs and compromises, and everyone has different priorities.

If anything, I'd actually say that the old Galaxy Note 4 with a custom CyanogenMod/LineageOS ROM for that responsive stock-ish experience would have been the closest to smartphone perfection, as it was a truly no-compromises, everything-and-the-kitchen-sink device at the time, before Samsung took this stupid "form over function" approach with the S6/Note 5 generation onward. It was also back when Sprint and T-Mobile devices still had unlocked bootloaders and could accept custom ROMs with ease, which they don't after the S7/Note 7 generation.

I do miss the good old days if carrier phones easily rooted and ROM'd the first month of release.

Out of the dozens of phones I owned, the ATT Note II running a CM ROM was for it's day a super beast, out of this world smooth and fast, with great battery life for then, like 7.5h Screen On time.

Sadly this days are gone.

Been using S8 for some time now. The UI jitter pretty badly especially switching between Apps.

I have to restart to fix the issue. The phone got enough RAM to sustain app in background, yet still constantly get app reset as well for some reason...

I barely have any App installed as well....

Glad I got this phone for free, else this is probably one fo the worst flagship phone I have used so far.

Been using S8 for some time now. The UI jitter pretty badly especially switching between Apps.

I have to restart to fix the issue. The phone got enough RAM to sustain app in background, yet still constantly get app reset as well for some reason...

I barely have any App installed as well....

Glad I got this phone for free, else this is probably one fo the worst flagship phone I have used so far.

And folks this is always the issue with Scamdung phones. Lagwiz is still there, it just takes longer for it to show up on their newer phones, but always does eventually.

I don't understand why anyone would pick a Galaxy phone over a Pixel ?

And folks this is always the issue with Scamdung phones. Lagwiz is still there, it just takes longer for it to show up on their newer phones, but always does eventually.

brand recognition, wireless charging, for a while they were one only high end manufacturers on the andriod side. Samsung is the apple of the andriod would plain and simple

I got it for free.... Wouldn't even buy this junk for a penny.... :D

Well, my Note 8 seized up and shut down when double-tapping power to bring up the camera. Lost a photo opportunity because of it.

Samsung does deserve to be blasted for that, along with their lethargic update schedule.

I think the lag's less of an issue post-Note 8, though. About in line with a typical modern PC with an SSD. Not saying it's 100% gone, but it's within my tolerance zone. Most real computers are slower anyway.

Google doesn't make penabled phones. Nobody but Samsung does. It's frustrating, because the Pixelbook Pen shows what they can do if they care enough.

I'm also not keen on #donglelife, either. I like my headphone jack and microSD slot.

Pixels are overpriced for what they offer hardware-wise. At least the Nexus products were priced reasonably and had a massive XDA-devs following. The Pixel lost a lot of that following.

If I had to give up the pen and headphone jack for a stock Android experience, the Razer Phone steamrolls the Pixel 2 line easily. Unlockable bootloader, now has Treble, uses Nova Launcher Prime as the stock launcher, 4000mAh battery, front-facing stereo speakers to justify the huge bezels, Sharp 120 Hz VRR screen without wildly varying QC issues... still kinda expensive, but so's the Pixel and everything else these days.

My sister's verizon s7e lagged after 6 months. She told me she's done with Samsung. I told her to give the upcoming pixel 3 a try. She does have a ton of app installed though so I am curious how the pixel 3 will hold up with her usage.

My sister's verizon s7e lagged after 6 months. She told me she's done with Samsung. I told her to give the upcoming pixel 3 a try. She does have a ton of app installed though so I am curious how the pixel 3 will hold up with her usage.

Tons of apps don’t matter anymore with Android. It used to allow as many apps as possible to run in the background as the memory would allow, now it will stall apps after a certain amount of time (except google services) and what ever the OEM hacks into it.

We have S7/Edge/Note FE units in the family. No infuriating lag at the moment.

Maybe the snapdragon units are more prone to lagwiz...

Tons of apps don’t matter anymore with Android. It used to allow as many apps as possible to run in the background as the memory would allow, now it will stall apps after a certain amount of time (except google services) and what ever the OEM hacks into it.

Ah ok. Do you know what Android version they started to do that?

Ah ok. Do you know what Android version they started to do that?
I want to say it was implemented when Google created Google services, around 4.0 era. But I’m pretty sure Google started implementing background task managing around 5.0 and getting more strict as time went on.

If there was any company with planned obsolescence Samsung would be the poster boy. Phones that are built to lag from the start, with industry worst update timing and quality.

i had a samsung s8 and i really liked it unitl i got a pixel 2 xl and i like that phone alot more

I've only had this flagship S9 since launch, and I've had it. This phone lags and fails too often. I can't answer calls when it lags. I can't take a photo; either it takes forever for the camera app to launch or, after it's launched, hitting the shutter button (on screen, volume key, or bt remote) won't work until I kill the camera app and restart again. And I have to restart my phone sometimes twice a day. There's just simply not enough RAM for this POS TouchWiz.

That S9 commercial attaching the iPhone for throttling pisses me off every time I see it. This phone lags from day 1, and I don't think it's ever been faster or more reliable than a throttled iPhone 7S.

I'm tempted to get a S9+ to see if more RAM would make all the difference here. But unless I could get the S9+ for zero down at TMobile, I don't want to finance this experiment with my own money. Maybe I should start a GoFundMe campaign for this. Haha!

The lag has pissed me off enough that I've set a deadline to get rid of this phone by the end of this month. If I could get the Pixel 2 XL on Jump, I would have been there already. So
What phone on TMo should I get? I am thinking about getting the LG flagship for the time being and wait for the next iPhone. If I hear that Samsung is launching the Note 9 in August, I could possibly do that experiment instead.

I've only had this flagship S9 since launch, and I've had it. This phone lags and fails too often. I can't answer calls when it lags. I can't take a photo; either it takes forever for the camera app to launch or, after it's launched, hitting the shutter button (on screen, volume key, or bt remote) won't work until I kill the camera app and restart again. And I have to restart my phone sometimes twice a day. There's just simply not enough RAM for this POS TouchWiz.

That S9 commercial attaching the iPhone for throttling pisses me off every time I see it. This phone lags from day 1, and I don't think it's ever been faster or more reliable than a throttled iPhone 7S.

I'm tempted to get a S9+ to see if more RAM would make all the difference here. But unless I could get the S9+ for zero down at TMobile, I don't want to finance this experiment with my own money. Maybe I should start a GoFundMe campaign for this. Haha!

The lag has pissed me off enough that I've set a deadline to get rid of this phone by the end of this month. If I could get the Pixel 2 XL on Jump, I would have been there already. So
What phone on TMo should I get? I am thinking about getting the LG flagship for the time being and wait for the next iPhone. If I hear that Samsung is launching the Note 9 in August, I could possibly do that experiment instead.

Big shocker there a flagship Galaxy phone still lags :) I don't understand how Scamdung phones are so popular, lagwiz UI sucks balls, and yes it's still Lagwiz and still there, it never went away, just newer phone have more horsepower to power through it but will never get rid of it.

Anyways, on T-Mobile ( like me ) your screwed if you want a fluid smooth phone with no lag, as the only phone like that is the Pixel 2 XL. My wife has the LG G6, and wow, that phone sucks a year later, major lag and bloatware, I had the LG V30 for a bit, it seemed much smoother than the G6, great form factor size, really cool phone, but I did not have it long enough to really test it. The G6 was smooth at first but 6+ months later , not, so not sure longterm V30 use ?

I bit the bullet and used Google to get the Pixel 2 XL, it's like $27/month through them they shipped it out one day. The Pixel 2 XL is hands down my fav Android to date, I've had it since December, and still today, there's not one phone I am even remotely interested in looking at, not thinking of switching to a different whatsoever right now, the Pixle 2 XL is so smooth and fast, and fluid, and Android P DP 4 is rock solid awesome, any other phone to me, would be a downgrade experience compared to this.

Ok what does T-Mobile have right now ? The Samesuck Galaxy S9 series = NO. LG G7 thing, uh nope. LG V35 = ? don't know, maybe. I hate the iPhone, but...with the recent Jailbreak release, I'd maybe go for the iPhone X, unless T-Mobile still requires that ridiculous huge down payment on the X, where they don't need on any other phone. But if the X is available on Jump, I'd maybe do that, if the firmware is JB able ? Otherwise contact Google and get the Pixel 2 XL, and be done :) :)

Sucks to see that the S9 still has issues with the Samsung UI. I have been waiting for a good Android phone to make the full jump from iOS. The last two I got were Samsung (Note 5 and Samsung Galaxy Nexus) and they were awful. I have almost jumped on the Pixel a couple times, but I feel like they should be offering a new one any time now.

FYI, the Pixel 3 will be out late September / early October

Oh man, that would be great. Hopefully they do some cool stuff like under glass thumbprint sensor and knock it out of the park on the hardware. Thanks!

I've been using my Notes 4 for almost 3 years and it's still fine.
The Wife's Nexus 4 was getting a little to old/slow, so moved her to a Note 4 this year. Much faster phone.
A used Note 4 was much faster/better than any new phone under $200.

Don't notice any real difference in speed between her freshly reset Note 4 and my Note 4 I've been running for almost 3 years.

The throttled iPhone fiasco was so overblown it’s not even funny. They had to detect it with a fucking benchmark to tell the phone “lagged.”

The throttled iPhone fiasco was so overblown it’s not even funny. They had to detect it with a fucking benchmark to tell the phone “lagged.”

Plus, what they were doing wasn't unreasonable. It's typically more important that your phone be available to use during emergencies and when you expect it than for it to be 5% faster than the slowdown caused. Rechargeable batteries fail in time, goes for any manufacturer, it's a nature of the battery itself. I have an iPhone 7+ and have yet to have a reason to upgrade because it has more than enough power for anything I use it for, never have slowdowns or anything. If it eventually loses enough battery performance that it throttles the processor, odds are it will still be more than fast enough for 99% of tasks.

It was just an excuse to jump on a popular company. Samsung has suffered the same type of thing, so does Tesla and every other manufacturer that has a large following and where articles of them are popular.

Big shocker there a flagship Galaxy phone still lags :) I don't understand how Scamdung phones are so popular, lagwiz UI sucks balls, and yes it's still Lagwiz and still there, it never went away, just newer phone have more horsepower to power through it but will never get rid of it.

Anyways, on T-Mobile ( like me ) your screwed if you want a fluid smooth phone with no lag, as the only phone like that is the Pixel 2 XL. My wife has the LG G6, and wow, that phone sucks a year later, major lag and bloatware, I had the LG V30 for a bit, it seemed much smoother than the G6, great form factor size, really cool phone, but I did not have it long enough to really test it. The G6 was smooth at first but 6+ months later , not, so not sure longterm V30 use ?

I bit the bullet and used Google to get the Pixel 2 XL, it's like $27/month through them they shipped it out one day. The Pixel 2 XL is hands down my fav Android to date, I've had it since December, and still today, there's not one phone I am even remotely interested in looking at, not thinking of switching to a different whatsoever right now, the Pixle 2 XL is so smooth and fast, and fluid, and Android P DP 4 is rock solid awesome, any other phone to me, would be a downgrade experience compared to this.

Ok what does T-Mobile have right now ? The Samesuck Galaxy S9 series = NO. LG G7 thing, uh nope. LG V35 = ? don't know, maybe. I hate the iPhone, but...with the recent Jailbreak release, I'd maybe go for the iPhone X, unless T-Mobile still requires that ridiculous huge down payment on the X, where they don't need on any other phone. But if the X is available on Jump, I'd maybe do that, if the firmware is JB able ? Otherwise contact Google and get the Pixel 2 XL, and be done :) :)
wrong one plus phones have full support from tmobile including wifi calling and VoLTE

I'm reading a number of reviews for the LG G7 ThinQ and comparisons to the GS9, I think that's going to be my next phone at least till the Pixel 3 (which I'm hoping to not be a Verizon "exclusive partner") or iPhone 11 arrives.

But there's one thing I will lose that I will absolutely miss from a Samsung phone, and that's Samsung Pay. Samsung Pay is awesome and magical to a lot of folks with its magnetic field generator or whatever that's called.

Back to swiping cards I guess...

P.S. I don't qualify for the JoD iPhone X 0 down payment for some reason unbeknownst to me.

Last edited:
I'm reading a number of reviews for the LG G7 ThinQ and comparisons to the GS9, I think that's going to be my next phone at least till the Pixel 3 (which I'm hoping to not be a Verizon "exclusive partner") or iPhone 11 arrives.

But there's one thing I will lose that I will absolutely miss from a Samsung phone, and that's Samsung Pay. Samsung Pay is awesome and magical to a lot of folks with its magnetic field generator or whatever that's called.

Back to swiping cards I guess...

P.S. I don't qualify for the JoD iPhone X 0 down payment for some reason unbeknownst to me.

Pixel 3 was announced as a Verizon exclusive again on U.S. carrier. Only way to get it on payments is through Google.

T-Mobile is the only carrier that demands a heft down payment to get the iPhone X. Even me, with a credit score of 742, which is pretty good, and have been on T-Mobile for 4 years never once missed a payment, they told me to get an iPhone X, it's like a $270 down payment, said no way around that, no matter you credit score or history with T-Mobile, they said the X requires to have a down payment. Whereas I can get a Note 8, or LG V30, or iPhone 8 Plus with zero down. And ATT, Verizon, and Sprint allow the iPhone X to be had for zero down as well.

https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/146281

Last edited:
Pixel 3 was announced as a Verizon exclusive again on U.S. carrier. Only way to get it on payments is through Google.

T-Mobile is the only carrier that demands a heft down payment to get the iPhone X. Even me, with a credit score of 742, which is pretty good, and have been on T-Mobile for 4 years never once missed a payment, they told me to get an iPhone X, it's like a $270 down payment, said no way around that, no matter you credit score or history with T-Mobile, they said the X requires to have a down payment. Whereas I can get a Note 8, or LG V30, or iPhone 8 Plus with zero down. And ATT, Verizon, and Sprint allow the iPhone X to be had for zero down as well.
There are folk who did qualify for it though. It could be whom you talk to. At least from the discussions on Reddit and the TMo support forum. But the 0 down payment is basically 3 years without missing a payment... And yet neither you or I could get it. I've talked to 3 CSR. So maybe it's just luck?!?

But fuck... Why Google? Why? Fuck Verizon. I wonder if Project Fi is the reason why Google doesn't want to partner with TMo or Sprint. Or that Google just don't want to sell too many phones. Seems like a stupid business decision unless Verizon is paying a lot of money to be the exclusive partner.

Yeah iam using the pixel 2 xl on google's project fi running DP4 and it is rock solid. I like the new version of android vs the stock or whatever.

I've been using my Notes 4 for almost 3 years and it's still fine.
The Wife's Nexus 4 was getting a little to old/slow, so moved her to a Note 4 this year. Much faster phone.
A used Note 4 was much faster/better than any new phone under $200.

Don't notice any real difference in speed between her freshly reset Note 4 and my Note 4 I've been running for almost 3 years.

The note 4 was a great phone !

Back