Do RAM heatsinks really help at all?

HRslammR

2[H]4U
and if they do, does it then differentiate between aluminum and copper ones?

No, I don't think that they do. I suppose that they do a little, but it doesn't seem significant to me. They do look really nice though. I like the blue color that came on my HyperX. I don't think I would put them on if they didn't come with the ram, though.

Again, I don't see a difference in mine...

They might make a tiny improvement...I think it is more for looks than anything...

If RamSinks were all that effective, we'd have waterblocks for them by now :)

can't hurt... more surface area for the chips to be cooled. i plan to slap some on the mosfets on the top of my mobo, anyway.

They're good for Mosfets and actual processing chips. They won't do much of anything for RAM.

Basically, ramsinks are designed for people who overvolt their RAM. If you don't do this, I wouldn't get them.

any additional cooling is good... and heatspreaders do work. however, most people here seem to think that in order for them to actually work, we would get more mhz out of the ram. which isnt the reason they were put on there. their soul purpose is to simply spread the heat around more evenly... hence, 'heatspreader'. :)

some of us have ram that produce almost no heat...i think they'd do more if instead of having a big flat plate, they have sinks with shallow fins on them

i find it easy to mount slot 1 coolers on my ram, this at least is good cooling. i mean the heatsink is great... but, there's nothing to cool that heatsink.

I've been touching ram chips when comp was running and they were far away from being hot to touch - so I don't think they help much... but they sure look nice and I've been temted to get some blink blink ones :D

they made a lot of difference on my old gf4 420mx, a good extra 20Mhz.

i dont think they make a huge difference on newer cards though unless your voltmodding. used a temp guage on mine and they were around 40C so your not gonna get them much cooler than that

Originally posted by dss64662
can't hurt... more surface area for the chips to be cooled.

It could hurt, if the heatsink is actually providing more thermal resistance than it is making up for with its increased surface area. This depends on the heatload, ambient air temp and flow characteristics, and the shape of the heatsink. I would bet that for most low-heat chips like RAM that it makes no difference, or maybe even heats them up more.

Originally posted by Niku
some of us have ram that produce almost no heat...i think they'd do more if instead of having a big flat plate, they have sinks with shallow fins on them

any idea how much more difficult that would be to manufacture? i think we are lucky to even get the heatplates...

Originally posted by Jason711
any idea how much more difficult that would be to manufacture? i think we are lucky to even get the heatplates...

Heatsinks with shallow fins already exist, it's no more difficult to produce than most other heatsinks.

Originally posted by zer0signal667
Heatsinks with shallow fins already exist, it's no more difficult to produce than most other heatsinks.

your missing the point... it would be much more difficult for them to put all of those heatsinks on one stick of ram. which translates to cost.

that is why they do not do that. and even if they did, i guarantee ppl here would find a reason to bitch about that aswell.

of course, im not saying anybody in this thread is bitching... ;)

My rams set with tight timings, and after a few hours of gaming the heatspreaders are noticibly warm. As cool as they look, they do have a purpose, especially for ppl bringing thier ram over 400mhz.

Back