Do-It-Your self Falcon Northwest FragBox Case

MANDINGO said:
Thanks for your help Metal.

Ok what about the EVGA 6600 gt will it do? YES

On oem hard drive do i need to buy cable for it and do i need to set them to master and all that crap ? MINE CAME WITH MOTHERBOARD

Dvd R burner do i need to buy cables for it ? does the oem NEC 3520a
come with the ide cable or do i need to buy it.And what about drivers for this does it come with a cd? MB AGIAN, AND YES

Does the onboard sounds work good i heard that if i add a sound card the front headphones wont work should i just not get a sound card? I USE ONBOARD, GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME

Does it matter what Zalmon i use ? Does the Zalmon Led do anything special or just the light? BRB

What if just order the falcon Power supply is it any good? NEVER USED ONE, I LIKE ANTEC NEO SINCE IT IS CLEANER, MODULAR PS

Will any brand of ram do the job like this: 2 GB (2 pcs 1GB) DDR (400) PC-3200 Corsair (TWINX2048-3200) $353.00 $353.00 SHOULD

Thanks for the help dude hope to hear from you...

HOWS ....UH, uh there...no more caps.....how is it going on that build?

5%20FG2%20lined%20up.jpg

I am working on my Water Cooled Frag Box2 too. :D
www.fullmetalhardware.com

FullMetal said:
HOWS ....UH, uh there...no more caps.....how is it going on that build?

http://fullmetalhardware.com/archives/5%20FG2%20lined%20up.jpg

I am working on my Water Cooled Frag Box2 too. :D
[url]www.fullmetalhardware.com[/url][/QUOTE]

Where is the radiator going? Or you going the easy way and making it external? I'm trying to plan a watercooling setup with the X-Qpack, and I'm only finding internal room for an 80mm radiator.

I will explain later, sick today. ... . . internal cooling I am trying to do

wow, you're so lucky, you get to look at 6 FB2's...AND build them, im jealous.

:D They are more fun to look at when they are built. I just did everything minus the hard drives, optical drives, and software stuff. Fed Ex still has that stuff. Like I said though, I only get to keep one of the six for me. I want to house the hard drive in the floppy drive location so I can pull out the hard drive holder. This frees up alot of space inside of the case. I am looking around to find out what the best water cooling option will be for the FB2. I want to cool the CPU and graphics card (X800). I like the V6 cpu cooler. I do not think there will be a problem putting it all inside the case. No cutting needed. Maybe some drilling though. Of course I am running low on cash now, so I may have to wait till later next month to buy more stuff. Once I do start the project, Project H2O FB2. I will post it in the worklog forum, or here.

how do you like that MSI mobo im thinking of getting one for a form factor build my self ?

do you game much with those fragboxes ?

do you use any kind of cpu cooler ?

I did not have to buy the case. The insides I am paying for.

I love this MSI motherboard, I play Half Life 2 on the frag box with the MSI board, a pci-e X800 XT, and AMD 64 3500. It is awesome. So yes, I game, and yes the MSi MB is nice. I have made 7 computers with the MSI board, and it is nice. All gaming PC's.

FullMetal said:
I did not have to buy the case. The insides I am paying for.

I love this MSI motherboard, I play Half Life 2 on the frag box with the MSI board, a pci-e X800 XT, and AMD 64 3500. It is awesome. So yes, I game, and yes the MSi MB is nice. I have made 7 computers with the MSI board, and it is nice. All gaming PC's.
not if you OC

Since you got the MSI board can you answer a quick question?

Will it support 2 dual channel kits, running each stick at 400mhz and keep the tight 2-2-2-5 timings?

I remember AMD in the past could only run 1 set, and 4 sticks would result in everything getting bumped down to 333mhz.
Thanks

MeanieMan said:

Will it support 2 dual channel kits, running each stick at 400mhz and keep the tight 2-2-2-5 timings?

I remember AMD in the past could only run 1 set, and 4 sticks would result in everything getting bumped down to 333mhz.
Thanks

yes it will run the 2-2-2-5 timing w/ a BIOS update and does sopport dual chan

incomudro said:
not if you OC

I do not OC stuff I sell. ;)

I would like for Asus to make a SLi MB that will fit in the frag box, dual video! Oh, and while I am dreaming I want ATI to give me two X900XT PE PCI-E cards that can be SLi. :D

ATi's SLI isnt called SLi, its AMR " ATi Multi Rendering"...and EVGA is coming out with a dual PCI-E mATX mobo, but its for the LGA775 P4 NF4 Chipset, not the S939 one, maybe they will also later on, they showed it at cebit.

Dillusion said:
ATi's SLI isnt called SLi, its AMR " ATi Multi Rendering"...and EVGA is coming out with a dual PCI-E mATX mobo, but its for the LGA775 P4 NF4 Chipset, not the S939 one, maybe they will also later on, they showed it at cebit.
in that case ill be having my fragbox stick around for a long while :)

MeanieMan said:

Thanks

The motherboard has nothing to do with whether or not it will run 4 sticks of memory at 2-2-2-5. That is up to the memory controller thats intregrated on the Athlon 64 and current Athlon 64's cannot run tight timings or 1T or DDR400 by default with 4 sticks installed. The Venice core is suppost to be able to run 4 sticks at DDR400 but you may still be stuck with 2T. 4 DIMM's put too much stress on the memory controller. If you want 2 gigs then buy 1GB sticks instead.

First off I want to say hi as this is my forst post here. I've been lurking for a while and I want to say thanks for all the great info you guys put up here its helped me learn alot. I am getting ready to order a fragbox and I have most of the parts that I want figured out. I saw Fullmetal's post a few pages back about the stuff he recommends and he had this up there (zalmon cpu cooler= I think I saw one at NE for $50?) is this just the fan for the CPU? cause all the ones I saw were like $5 could you point me in the right direction as to which one I should get for this case I will be putting a AMD Athlon 64 3800+ in there. I apologize if this is a dumb question I'm kinda new at building PC's.

Thanks

The Zalman 7000 AlCu or Cu is what your looking for. The 7700AlCu or 7700Cu will not fit.

Cool I found the right fan thanks for the help. Is it hard to install? I've never had to put the Thermal Grease stuff on there before thats the only part that concerns me.

No, all the cooler is, is two screws and a backplate. If youre motherboard comes with a pre-applied back plate your gonna have to rip it off with longnose pliers and use the supplied zalman bracket for proper mounting. Make sure you use the paper washers to prevent contact with metal pieces.

Thermal grease is easy aswell, just apply a 1/2" line of it in the center of the metal heatsink thats epoxied into the CPU. The die is in the middle, so just drop some there and squeeze it on with the zalman while you tighten it.

Just finished putting it all togather today I really like this case but it was a pain to put togather and it seems kinda loud to me but I built this to play games on so I don't mind. I haven't really pushed the system yet but I hope I'm not dissapointed. (even if I am it has nothing to do with the case) I ended up getting the FN power supply because the one I wanted at egg was sold out. Its a really nice PS its got the fan on the bottom so it pulls the heat off of the processor.

verbel said:
Just finished putting it all togather today I really like this case but it was a pain to put togather and it seems kinda loud

Yes, and I added a cross flow blower into mine, really loud! But stays cool!

I have put 6 together so far, all were pain in butt to assemble since they are small, but end result is ...so nice!

They seem to really get hot inside!

Thats why I added a crossflow fan.

I agree with it being worth the pain of setting up. Now I am going to tidy up the wires inside it and try to make it look orderly. the crossflow fan sounds like a good idea could you post a link to the one you put in I'm curious, I basically built this off of the specs you posted a few pages back with a few modifications of my own.

Kay, just finished building another Frag Box 2!

Went smoother, each time goes better. Built the hardware side in under 40.

Looks good. Only I finally broke that blue light tube thing...just put in a different neon light.

I acually built one with all red neon lighting, last week. Looked ok.

I will take a photo of where I put the cross flow fan and post in abit.

EDIT:

My camera is being a butt! I will get that picture up as soon as I can. But I mounted it right under the power supply, where the small holes are, it fits perfetly there.

MeanieMan said:
Where is the radiator going? Or you going the easy way and making it external? I'm trying to plan a watercooling setup with the X-Qpack, and I'm only finding internal room for an 80mm radiator.

Internal, rad connects to this fan.
fbsidefan.jpg

Hey Fullmetal were did you put the cross flow blower? I don't have much room inside of the case. Were did you get the one you put in I can't seem to find any on the egg

I just ordered this:

Cooler Master AQUAGATE CPU Liquid Mini Cooling System - Mini R80 (RL-MUA-E8U1) with 80mm Fan for Socket 939

to put into my Frag Box. Cost with tax and shipping: $114

When you are looking at the FB from the front.....I am moving the hard drive holder to the right and putting the fan/res where the blue fan is in the FB. Blowing out the left side hole.

I might turn the hard drive and mount it under the floppy drive.

We will see. Once I have the cooler in hand I will know better.

Should be here on Thursday!

agmini.jpg

I thought for some reason it was only in 120 mm so I was going to have to cut a hole in the left window to mount it, but it is in 80 mm also and thats what I just ordered.

FullMetal said:
I just ordered this:

Cooler Master AQUAGATE CPU Liquid Mini Cooling System - Mini R80 (RL-MUA-E8U1) with 80mm Fan for Socket 939

to put into my Frag Box. Cost with tax and shipping: $114

When you are looking at the FB from the front.....I am moving the hard drive holder to the right and putting the fan/res where the blue fan is in the FB. Blowing out the left side hole.

I might turn the hard drive and mount it under the floppy drive.

We will see. Once I have the cooler in hand I will know better.

Should be here on Thursday!

I thought for some reason it was only in 120 mm so I was going to have to cut a hole in the left window to mount it, but it is in 80 mm also and thats what I just ordered.

http://www.modthebox.com/review390_1.shtml
In short, it sucks.
:(

Oh, well, I am still going to try it. :)

Worse case I put it into a different PC if I do not like results.

I am also going to cut the face plate and add my "handle" to it, so it looks something like this.

frontfb2cut.jpg

Aqua Gate Mini 80mm in FB2
It all fit, just had to drill 2 new holes in drive bay.

ag1.jpg

ag2.jpg

ag3.jpg

ag4.jpg

ag5.jpg

ag6.jpg

nice case full metal
you spelled "ghetto" wrong on your site
forgot the h

Tman said:
Do-It-Your self Falcon Northwest FragBox Case
Heres my "do it yer-self fragbox"

Sheetmetal brake, sheetmetal, grinder, plasma cutter...

For the parts? www.newegg.com

While you wait for the parts to come, finish building the case and then build the box... No price rape there.

Back