Do I need/want registered memory?

infin|ty

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm going to be building a new system. It will be a 939 socket and I was wondering if it needs to have registered memory?

What does registered memory do?

How is it different from unbuffered?

What would be better?

I planned on getting this: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=473002 but I wasnt sure if I needed registered or unbuffered ram.

Please help.

btw: what do you think of this ram for gaming?

This is basically error checking and correction which should not be used for gaming computers. Use it for servers and such. It has increased latency, if I'm not mistaken - not to mention too expensive most of the time.

infin|ty said:
So it's bad right, why? Is it slower than unbuffered?

Would this be better? http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-524&depa=1

Was just wondering b/c I think Falcon NW uses that registered ram.

Good ram is Good ram. UNbuffered means NOT registered in the sense you are being told. UNbuffered is usually a MAX of 2 Dimms out of 4 to be used. such as AMD chipsets and whatnot. HOWEVER, registered usually permits up to 16 slots to be used simultaneously. you can still mix and match, AS long as timings AND format are the same, however, all dimms must be registered to guarantee the stability registered offers, that is why servers use them, they check, and predict branches of information if something is missing or the output = is Xor incorrect. meaning, if i run a server, CS for that matter, and one guy shoots another, and the gun should click for the trigger, the ECC ram in some effect, says, this is what was input, this is what may come out, lets put what should in actuallity occur, 1+1=2, even if the data is corrupted to 1+1=3.

Now, whensomeone said ECC or Registered is slower, he is right, to a degree, ECC is slower, UNLESS YOU BUY QUALITY HIGH PERFORMANCE ECC. it just as good, and unless you are SERIOUSLY overclocking, youll never know the difference.

DeepFreeze said:
Good ram is Good ram. UNbuffered means NOT registered in the sense you are being told. UNbuffered is usually a MAX of 2 Dimms out of 4 to be used. such as AMD chipsets and whatnot. HOWEVER, registered usually permits up to 16 slots to be used simultaneously. you can still mix and match, AS long as timings AND format are the same, however, all dimms must be registered to guarantee the stability registered offers, that is why servers use them, they check, and predict branches of information if something is missing or the output = is Xor incorrect. meaning, if i run a server, CS for that matter, and one guy shoots another, and the gun should click for the trigger, the ECC ram in some effect, says, this is what was input, this is what may come out, lets put what should in actuallity occur, 1+1=2, even if the data is corrupted to 1+1=3.

Now, whensomeone said ECC or Registered is slower, he is right, to a degree, ECC is slower, UNLESS YOU BUY QUALITY HIGH PERFORMANCE ECC. it just as good, and unless you are SERIOUSLY overclocking, youll never know the difference.

So you're saying things will run faster if I buy unbuffered...if i'm gaming that is? But good ram will work like regular unbuffered? So will there be a difference?

For gaming:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-524&depa=1

OR

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-476&depa=1

Will this ram work with a system that is NOT a FX system??? ^

My first post is linked to dumpsterdiving for some odd reason... it was suppost to be the second link I just posted ^^^^^^

Thanks

You can use the memory with non-FX systems as long as the mobo allows you to use ECC or Registered DIMMs.

For gaming, use nonECC unbuffered DIMMs; they don't have to perform the kind of memory correctness checks that ECC Dimms do. You really don't need Registered memory unless you're running a workstation, server, or an FX/Opteron based system.

BillLeeLee said:
You can use the memory with non-FX systems as long as the mobo allows you to use ECC or Registered DIMMs.

For gaming, use nonECC unbuffered DIMMs; they don't have to perform the kind of memory correctness checks that ECC Dimms do. You really don't need Registered memory unless you're running a workstation, server, or an FX/Opteron based system.

This would perform better for gaming then? http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-524&depa=1

Yes, I heard that RAM is excellent (and look at those timings), but damn expensive. I remember when 1 gig of high end performance RAM was sub-$300, not like now, geez.

edit: why would you want DDR2? Socket 939 boards use DDR1.

BillLeeLee said:
Yes, I heard that RAM is excellent (and look at those timings), but damn expensive. I remember when 1 gig of high end performance RAM was sub-$300, not like now, geez.

edit: why would you want DDR2? Socket 939 boards use DDR1.

Ya im on crack, I just revised. Alright cool, I hope those lights look pimp and dosnt annoy me:D Thanks for the help.

Why is the other one more?

I see, in that article they said LL is being phased out and XL is phased in. I guess I'll go with the best then:)

Xtra Low PRO what do you know! ok..im sorry about that one..im done.

infin|ty said:
So you're saying things will run faster if I buy unbuffered...if i'm gaming that is? But good ram will work like regular unbuffered? So will there be a difference?

For gaming:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-524&depa=1

OR

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-476&depa=1

Will this ram work with a system that is NOT a FX system??? ^

My first post is linked to dumpsterdiving for some odd reason... it was suppost to be the second link I just posted ^^^^^^

Thanks

Get either ram . the point is, for the price, ECC usually isnt worth it for a WORKSTATION/.

That mushkin is over the top expensive. It used to be sub-$300 a few months back too.

I'd stick with the Corsairs.

If the motherboard in question does not have official supprt for ECC REGISTERED ram modules, it will not boot if you stick Registered ram into it. I had some Crucial ECC Registered DDR that ran fine in my dual S2460 system (AMD duallies) but if you tried it in a normal system, no post. I tried it in several different rigs, and I actually thought at one point the ram was bad. I sent it to Crucial, they checked it out, said it worked fine. I explained what I had done and the Crucial tech said AHHH, no wonder. OOPS on me.

I put it back into my friend's dually game server and it worked beautifully.

Just a tip, but ECC and Registers are 2 separate traits of memory, you can get non-ECC registered memory.

Perhaps this will help you out

Registered Memory:
SDRAM memory that contains registers directly on the module. The registers re-drive the signals through the memory chips and allow the module to be built with more memory chips. Registered and unbuffered memory cannot be mixed. The design of the computer memory controller dictates which type of memory the computer requires

ECC:
(Error Correction Code) - A method of checking the integrity of data in DRAM. ECC provides more elaborate error detection than parity; ECC can detect multiple-bit errors and can locate and correct single-bit errors. Usually acomplished by a checksum method.

Now all be told, unless you are using over 2GB of memory, or you motherboard requires you to use a particular type of RAM, you should be using unbuffered non-ECC RAM. It will give you the best performance (Speedwise) overall for a home computer.

Back