Do I have to wait?

Sigma B

Weaksauce
My computer is dead.... nuff said.

I thought about buying a notebook, even switching to mac (powerbook15 or 17). I keep wavering back and forth between building a new pc and buying a notbook - possibly a convertible tablet pc.

I'm in college and while games aren't super important they're entertaining. I've played Counter-Strike for what seems like the dawn of time.

My budget can both be large and tight - it just depends. I primairly do photoshop and web development stuff when not doing basic tasks.

I need to buy everything except for a monitor, speakers, keyboard, and mouse if I build a pc. I have no preference reguarding amd or intel.

my budget is no more than 2500. I was thinking build a new pc with 1200 - 1300 and use the rest and find a nice ultraportable used or refurbed for my college class stuff.

anyone got any ideas? I'd like to go ahead and get this underway soon. I don't know if I can wait' much longer than the 1st of august.

for $2500 you have a huge amount of options..

i am building myself a computer and it will come out to < $600 and easily do all the photoshop, web development stuff... as well as probably play most games decently..

the only thing i could see eating up that whole budget is a dual g5 mac or a really expensive laptop..

i would say spend $800 or so on a computer... and save the rest of the money... if you find that you really need a laptop for class, then get one..

Build your own I would say. You get a better deal and one which is suited to your needs.

I liking the new Amd64's so would recomend maybe the 3200 for you ($270.00 ), just need a motherboard ($150), case($100), harddrive($100), graphics card(X800 $450) and ram (1gig of value ram - $200)
Total - $1270

Motherboard and case go with what you want - and this system leaves you with a very strong setup...except maybe the ram but I wanted to be around the $1200 bit :D
Everything is out at the moment

I would go with a decent desktop and a cheap/used laptop. Remember, used laptops generally means 0 battery, expect to replace it (~$100).

that was what i was hoping, but i was worried. I figured with pci-x coming out and BTX on the way what I should do?

can you give me specific reccomendations on mobos and memory? I don't want to fool around with mem/mobo compatibility issues.

just to add fuel to the fire: I was considering these lappy's

apple powerbook 17 and 15
Ibm T42 (educational discount)
ibm x40
toshiba m series convertible tablet pc

PCI-E (not X, PCI-X is a server component that has been available for a while) isn't that much to ooo and ahh about, the entra bandwidth from 8x AGP isn't even being used. Look at the newest ATI AGP and PCI-E, they have the exact same specs and bandwidth. PCI-E cards will likely suffer for a little while until the chipsets mature.

BTX is just another form factor, not much to get excited about there.

I would decide your laptop budget first, since it will vary the most depending on new/used and where you get it from. Once you know how much your spending on just the desktop we can give you a better idea.

Go with a decent Centrino Lappy from IBM and get a dirt cheap desktop. Ideal setup. Look in form/computer paper classifieds for cheap desktops with decent 3D cards or build an el cheapo with a 9600 and AMD Powah.

I'm building a PC soon (hopefully) and I have university in fall 2005 so I get to spread my purchases out a bit.

yeah.....

I'm very interested in some of the ibm notebooks, but more interested in the Toshiba m205 convertible tablet pc. Anyone used this puppy? I played with it at best buy today and was quite impressed? Anyone use a tablet?

Julian said:
Build your own I would say. You get a better deal and one which is suited to your needs.

I liking the new Amd64's so would recomend maybe the 3200 for you ($270.00 ), just need a motherboard ($150), case($100), harddrive($100), graphics card(X800 $450) and ram (1gig of value ram - $200)
Total - $1270

Motherboard and case go with what you want - and this system leaves you with a very strong setup...except maybe the ram but I wanted to be around the $1200 bit :D
Everything is out at the moment[/QUOTE

Good idea now add a 213T and your golden

Sigma B said:

It is a Samsung 21.3 inch lcd monitor that runs around 1200 if your a clever shopper. That would bring you in on budget

Back