Do 8x m.2 IT mode HBAs exist?

longblock454

2[H]4U
Looks like HighPoint makes some 8x cards, but not IT mode, I'm looking for something that is completely transparent. Like the good ole ibm m1015 days.

Looks like HighPoint makes some 8x cards, but not IT mode, I'm looking for something that is completely transparent. Like the good ole ibm m1015 days.
In order for that to work, would the motherboard also have to support special PCIe bifurcation too? Like I've seen x16 slots be able to bifurcate down to x4x4x4x4, x4x4x8, or x8x8 but you would need x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2 theoretically? Giving each NVME drive a dedicated x2 lane from the x16 slot.

In order for that to work, would the motherboard also have to support special PCIe bifurcation too? Like I've seen x16 slots be able to bifurcate down to x4x4x4x4, x4x4x8, or x8x8 but you would need x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2 theoretically? Giving each NVME drive a dedicated x2 lane from the x16 slot.
They use a custom asic doing pcie switching to get around the bifurcation problem. A dumb adapter does need x4x4x4x4 and you wont find one for 8 drives. The additional asic may limit speeds, require additional drives, and cause other issues.

2 4 slot nvme cards is about the best you can do. And I wouldn't even try that on a consumer platform as recent amd and intel platforms have been horrific for pcie and bifurcation support.

A dumb adapter does need x4x4x4x4 and you wont find one for 8 drives.

The datasheet for the Highpoint 1508 says, "Card can be used in any slot PCIe 3.0 or 4.0 slot; Bifurcation or standard"

Given the Amazon reviews it appears the 1508 isn't worth even trying, regardless.

The Highpoint has an on-board PLX PCIe switch which SHOULD make it compatible with non-bifurcation motherboards. That said, HBAs on consumer motherboards are a VERY hit or miss situation in general, and Highpoint can be even more of a problem than most.

Back