DLINK DIR-655 $54.99 @ the Egg

I have been wanting a new router for some time. Does this router do static ip's from the router?

I had a terrible experience on my end. It would reboot itself every three days.

I had a terrible experience on my end. It would reboot itself every three days.

How long ago was it? These are most likely Rev.B routers. The old Rev.A(1,2,3,4,5) use different internal hardware. I had a similar issue with my Rev.A5 router - I believe a lot of the issues had to do with the QoS Engine and SecureSpot - both of which would not actually disable until a firmware fix came out. Supposedly that caused the router to "crash" / powercycle.

Having opened both a Rev.A5 and Rev.B1, I can say that a lot has been done to the design including making the plastic on the B models less appealing and cheaper feeling. Truthfully, it should have been a different model. I've heard the B has a faster processor.

I have had this router for 3 years, and it still works just as good as the day I bought it, highly recommended, just don't mess with the firmware and you're good to go.

How long ago was it? These are most likely Rev.B routers. The old Rev.A(1,2,3,4,5) use different internal hardware. I had a similar issue with my Rev.A5 router - I believe a lot of the issues had to do with the QoS Engine and SecureSpot - both of which would not actually disable until a firmware fix came out. Supposedly that caused the router to "crash" / powercycle.

Having opened both a Rev.A5 and Rev.B1, I can say that a lot has been done to the design including making the plastic on the B models less appealing and cheaper feeling. Truthfully, it should have been a different model. I've heard the B has a faster processor.

It was last October. I read a lot about this problem. I decided to return itto Newegg for a store credit. Nevertheless, it is a nice router.

I own two and both have been stable and fast for the past 3 years. Like others said, don't mess with the firmware, just set it and forget it.

Depends on the firmware, I had this and it was the worst POS I've ever owned. BELKIN routers were better than this. I went Cisco/Linksys and havent looked back, even the classic workhorse WRT54G was way better.

My issues were after plenty of wireless traffic the entire router would slow to a crawl needing to be manually reset. Worked with it for a week and nothing ever worked.

Depends on the firmware, I had this and it was the worst POS I've ever owned. BELKIN routers were better than this. I went Cisco/Linksys and havent looked back, even the classic workhorse WRT54G was way better.

My issues were after plenty of wireless traffic the entire router would slow to a crawl needing to be manually reset. Worked with it for a week and nothing ever worked.

Sounds like you simply had a bad router, i have had NO problem with mine, and I've recommended this router for my friends and they have not had problems either. I'm aware that it's easier to blame the product than the fact that you simply might have gotten a defective unit.

However, your experience is your experience.

I went Cisco/Linksys and havent looked back, even the classic workhorse WRT54G was way better.

Funny, I found the exact opposite to be true. I had run into many Linksys WRT54G's in the past, and every one ran like crap. Always slowing to a crawl, requiring a manual reset. Sometimes even that didn't work. Total pain in the ass. All of them were in completely different situations with varying levels of use. Linksys's garbage routers gave me so many headaches.

Oh I exchanged my DIR-655 for another one, funny enough the exact same thing happened and imo this thing was a steaming pile of shit.

Routers have always been either perfect or terrible for everyone. In this case, I had nothing but a bad experience.

I have D-Link Dir-655 Router, i have Hardware Ver. B1 and it run's awesome, i have not had to turn it off, since i got it, it dont slow down, it runs very fast, and i love it.

I have this router and it's awesome. Only problem I had was the fact that it hates certain Antivirus software.

So this would be better then my linksys wrt54g? I kinda was looking for a new router to stream to my boxee box with files from my main computer. I get dropouts a good amount and rebuffering like crazy sometimes.

Funny, I found the exact opposite to be true. I had run into many Linksys WRT54G's in the past, and every one ran like crap. Always slowing to a crawl, requiring a manual reset. Sometimes even that didn't work. Total pain in the ass. All of them were in completely different situations with varying levels of use. Linksys's garbage routers gave me so many headaches.

I had the same problem with the 54, it'd work great for about 6months and then start to slow to a crawl requiring frequent reboots. I went through four of them before I gave up on the unit.

It seems with the DIR655, the most stable ones are 2-3 years old. The A1 (and 2?) had better hardware IIRC, couple that with keeping original FW and you have a rock solid system. The issues seem to pile up when they did the non-reversible firmware update .. like they knew they were about to break it, lol.

I had one for a week (Rev B) and then returned it because it couldn't hold a stable WAN connection. Went back to my WRT610N V2 and have not had any issues. The DIR-655 doesn't run DD-WRT either which is great FW BTW.

Hmmm been thinking of upgrading my DI-524 router... this might be fun. Might even consider a Gb, home network, not sure if it'll even be worth my time though, N-wireless might be "fast enough". However lots of feedback mentioning random dropping of wireless signal worries me a tad.

I own two and both have been stable and fast for the past 3 years. Like others said, don't mess with the firmware, just set it and forget it.

Same here. My DIR-555 has been absolutely 100% solid and reliable. Awesome price for what is the best router I've ever used (among many).
I use mine for gaming (of course), streaming to my file server, and Netlflix - never ever an issue. Fast as heck.

Count me in for having lots of problems with this particular router. UPnP stops working all the time for me and I have not been able to fix it for more than a day. It just randomly stops working all the time.

Check out the forums before you purchase too.

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?board=129.0

I just have a feeling that the people with good experiences with this router simply don't use many of it's features as I have had 2 units show the exact same problems as well as others on the internet. To me that means it's a software issue.

So this would be better then my linksys wrt54g? I kinda was looking for a new router to stream to my boxee box with files from my main computer. I get dropouts a good amount and rebuffering like crazy sometimes.

wrt54g is a great router still but this is kinda apples and oranges being thats a 100mbps/g router and this is a N/gigabit... which if you need or what either of those this is a good deal

I've had a rev A3 for the past 3 years (at least). I've got the 1.34NA firmware on it. It supports my home domain with 4 servers (DC, RRAS, Exchange 2010, and Web), a desktop PC, and printer - wired...and 1 PC, 2 laptops, and 2 other devices - wireless. It's highly customizable for all my virtual server and port forwarding needs. The wireless range and throughput are spectacular once you screw on a few 9dBi antennas.

That sucks that the rev B's don't look like they're as good as the A's...YMMV

Last edited:
Best router I've owned.

Mine is over 3 years old now it still runs great. Most routers I've owned would have crapped out long before this, assuming they were stable when they were new.

Great wifi range, gibabit, loaded with features, and stable. I'm not even thinking of upgrading.

I've had my DIR-655 since early 2009 and paid $125 for it! It's fast, dependable and easily handles all my wifi tasks (laptop, cell phone, printing, large file downloads/uploads, online gaming, etc.)

My boxee box has wireless N as well as my iphone. So wouldn't this be good since it is wireless N? Especially for my boxee box? I stream stuff to it from my computer all the time over wifi.

I had the same problem with the 54, it'd work great for about 6months and then start to slow to a crawl requiring frequent reboots. I went through four of them before I gave up on the unit.

It seems with the DIR655, the most stable ones are 2-3 years old. The A1 (and 2?) had better hardware IIRC, couple that with keeping original FW and you have a rock solid system. The issues seem to pile up when they did the non-reversible firmware update .. like they knew they were about to break it, lol.

I think this aswell. There are several issues that go along with later hardware revisions. Most everyone who has an older model is impressed. For instance with my A4 rev B I HAVE to set it at G even though I have 4 devices that are N and 3 that's G. If I set it to N and G the speed fluctuates eventually becoming so slow can't do anything any more, much slower in fact than G. All of my devices would end up at less than 10 Mbs when they started out at 250+. I would have to reboot the router to fix the issue and do it almost every 2-3 days. While set to G only and 54Mbs it's rock solid on N only at variable rate it's still solid.

It does not matter whats on or off, QoS, etc doesn't matter. Thousands of people have this same problem over at the official forums and this isint even one of the bigger issues being reported.

Paid about $80 many years ago for my beloved DIR-655 during a sale at Best Buy. Would still be using it if AT&T would go ahead and allow customers to use a separate modem and their own router with U-Verse rather than the over-sized gateway that won't fit into my structured wiring box. :(

i bought mine when it was just introduced. very reliable 10/10. my dlink usb wireless n adaptor however is complete garbage.

Back