Disk cloning/backup

3ee Dee

Limp Gawd
I just got a Vantec Nexstar MX 2-bay enclosure and a Western Digital 500GB Caviar Green that will be used for system backup.

My main system hard drive(also a WD 500GB Caviar Green) is divided into 3 partitions. My plan is to clone/backup the whole system drive to the new backup drive and be able to occasionally update it when I need to. Basically, I want an exact duplicate that I can swap right into the system in the event that the main drive fails.

So my question is, will I have to partition the new backup drive the same way I did the main system drive? Or will the cloning software configure that automatically if I were to just format the backup drive with a full single partition?

Also, can anyone recommend some good cloning software? I've been researching a few freeware ones and so far I'm considering either EASEUS Todo Backup or XXCLONE. Any opinions on these?

Any halfway decent cloning software will automatically dump the partitions over to the new drive just fine.

I have no experience with either of those two products, but I have used Acronis True Image for several years.

Although it usually costs money, Western Digital does offer a basic, free version for their drives:

http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp

If you are copying from and to WD drives, that would be a great choice.

Back