Disk boot failure?

holinger

Limp Gawd
I put my new build together today and put in a previous used hdd with xp and everything on it. When turned on it checks all the hardware then says disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter. I installed a blank hdd and had the same failure. In the bios I found my hdd under ide 04 master so it does recognize it's there. My mother board is a gigabyte ga ep45 ud3r . Is my problem as simple as reinstalling windows? Sorry for the bad typing and undetailed post but I'm currently computerless and am stuck using my iPod to post this thread. Thanks in advance

Are you going to re-install WinXP?

If yes, then boot from the WinXP install CD and do a fresh install. If not, you may want to try to boot using the WinXP install CD and see if you can do a recovery.

Given that you have changed hardware, recovery probably isn't an option. A fresh install would probably be a better idea.

Ok well it's late now but if nothing else is suggested before I get time tommorow I'll try a fresh copy.

Sometimes Windows OS's don't like to work properly if hardware is changed, it'd be best to do a clean install on your new hardware and let us know the results.

A couple of things I would try:

Make sure all your BIOS settings are in legacy support (SATA is in IDE mode, etc.)
Press F8 during boot and try to boot into safe mode for XP, a driver might be screwing you up (I'm assuming the drive worked before the rebuild)

A couple of things I would try:

Make sure all your BIOS settings are in legacy support (SATA is in IDE mode, etc.)
Press F8 during boot and try to boot into safe mode for XP, a driver might be screwing you up (I'm assuming the drive worked before the rebuild)

If those don't work, try a repair install. Proceed booting with the XP setup CD as if you were installing for the first time. After hitting F8 to agree to the T&C, setup should detect your old installation and offer to repair it by pressing "R".

My brother has my win xp disc at college so I tried installing ubunto but when I gotto the partition stage I couldn't get it .... I don't know what could be wrong I've never installed ubunto before so I could have done it wrong but I dunno

My brother has my win xp disc at college so I tried installing ubunto but when I gotto the partition stage I couldn't get it .... I don't know what could be wrong I've never installed ubunto before so I could have done it wrong but I dunno

And f8 doesn't work obviously I'm pressing before windows boots because windows won't boot

I put in my other hard drive from yet another computer I have and it's working so problem solved. If I were to reinstall xp on the other one it would work too. Thanks everybody.

{[( close thread )]}

Back