DISK BOOT ERROR...hard drive shows as unallocated space?!

gaeko

Weaksauce
Ok I installed Windows on an old 80 gig HD I had laying around, and everything was successful. The system was working great until recently when I try to boot up the machine I would get DISK BOOT ERROR please insert bootable disk. I would then restart the machine, and then it would boot into Windows fine. I found it very odd, but thought it was because the MBR may be confused since on another HD there used to be a windows installation and I had to remove it manually. (Not sure if that was the case)

Ok, so today I tried to fix the error cause Windows would refuse to boot. I ran Windows setup to check the partitions, and initially it showed that my 80 gig HD was unpartitioned space. I reset the machine, went into Windows setup again and then it showed the partitions.

At the current moment I can't get my machine to detect the partitions for the life of me. I currently have it removed from the computer, plugged it into an external HD case and plugged into my laptop. I ran Norton Partition Magic and it's detecting the HD as unallocated space.

Is there a good program I can use to recover my lost partition table? Is it a lost cause? What the heck is going on?!

Please feel free to ask questions, and I will respond promptly. Thank you for reading.

Back