DishTV & can this be done?

Budman

I put the Bad in Bad Grandpa!
I'm not sure where to post this so if this is in the wrong forum then mods please move it to the correct one.

The wife & I just subscribed to DishTV. We have 3 HD TV's in the house. I have a 32" Toshiba in my PC room/workshop & she has a 32" Philips in her room. we also have an older 55" Mitsubishi projection TV in the living room. Here is what I want to do & you guys let me know if this is even possible or not. We have 2 HD receivers. The DishTV ViP612

http://www.dishnetwork.com/receivers/hd/images/vip612-lrg.jpg

She has one in her room (she pays the Dish bill so I don't argue) & the other receiver is in the living room. Is there anyway to get HD programming to my TV? Right now I have a splitter on RG6/coax that runs from the standard output on the receiver & it goes into my room so all I get is standard def & also a small 13" cheapo TV we have on the front porch that we watch when we are on the treadmill. How can I & if so what do I need to get be able to split the HD signal & send it to both the 55" in the living room & the 32" in my room. The distance from the 55" TV in the living room to my 32" is approx 55 ft & this is running under everything down in the crawl space. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

the only way i could see you doing it and i believe dishTV has this is using 4 receivers on the dish and then 4 receivers in your house.. that or use 2 different dishes dedicated to 2 of each of the receivers.. but thats the only way id do it.. i mean sure you can get a switch that you connect the box to then both tv's and then just change it on the box to change the signal to what ever tv you want.. but then again thats more wiring..

There are wireless HDTV transmitters which can feed more than one TV.
You will need to find what is available where you live (I am in the UK).

You could run a PC with SageTV and an Hauppage HD PVR, then connect the receiver to the HD PVR using component cables. Then have a PC in your room running SageTV Client or get a Sage extender and connect it to the TV. You'd have to a network and a good wireless connection (if you don't want to run wires). The only thing is you'll be limited to watch what is on the other TV. But in a case like mine, with 2 receivers it's not often that there's conflicts. You'd have to figure out which TV you want your room "linked" to. If she spends the majority of the time in her room, get your signal from the other room. If the receiver in her room is used sparingly and the 2 of you are rarely in your own rooms at the same time, then you could get the signal from her room.

Maybe I'm not making myself clear here. What I want to do is be able to watch the same programing that is on the TV in the living room. The HD DishTV receiver we have already does IR as I can sit in my room & change channels. I just want to be able to somehow split the HD siginal comming out of the DishTV receiver & send that siginal to both tv's.

I was looking around today & came across this. Has anybody ever seen or better yet used a device like this? It looks pretty simple as I can run CAT5 no problem between the two TV's. I'm just skepitical as to how good this actually works.

http://www.newtechindustries.com/newtech/celabs/hdtv_cat5_balun.html

It seems like it would work. How do you have the receiver connected to your 55"? I'm hoping by HDMI. You said it was older, so I was just wondering if you currently use the components from the receiver to the 55"? If so, that would conflict with plugging it into the device you linked to.

The 55" is older & is hooked up via Componet cables. It's to old to have HDMI ports so the one on the back of the receiver sits unused. I see what you mean as yes the two Hi Def outputs are the HDMI (unused) & the component which are used on the 55".
Well poop I guess it was a thought.

You could get component splitters. It's just an analog signal after all. I'm not sure if you'd notice a difference. Only other alternative would be to use a switcher or an audio receiver with component inputs. Then just switch according to where you're going to be watching at.

does the reciever output signal to both the HDMI and component outputs at the same time? If so, a good HDMI cable may be able to reach that far while the component is still plugged into the 55".

Back