Disable Integrity Checks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to disable Integrity Checks in Vista SP1 or SP2? I know it's not possible in SP1. What about the leaked RTM of SP2?

I find it shocking that Vista won't let us disable the integrity checks without having to boot into test mode.

Any hacks, cracks, or patches out there to just disable them forever and for good?

I don't give a damn what Microsoft thinks is security and isn't.

I want full control over my operating system, and I don't support the fact that developers are bullied into submission in having to pay $500 per year for digitally signed drivers and devices. Who the hell cares? I just want my Peerguardian to work.

Come on, there's got to be a way. Can't a hacker hack the kernel allowing us to disable these stupid integrity checks?

Microsoft can't win. If they let people have control of their computers, Windows is insecure. If they don't, people just want Peerguardian to work. Security sells better than PeerGuardian.

Come on, there's got to be a way. Can't a hacker hack the kernel allowing us to disable these stupid integrity checks?

Go for it. If you can figure it out, you deserve to install unsigned drivers.

I don't support the fact that developers are bullied into submission in having to pay $500 per year for digitally signed drivers and devices.

Hi. I'm a developer. I haven't been bullied into anything. Perhaps you should look for a "Donate" button on the developer's site...

This looks like it would work.

You should be more specific with your question, and reason why (in this case Peerguardian).

1st. This really only affects x64 versions of Vista and Windows7, the 32bit versions can turn off driversigning easily.

2nd. There is a post in the Peerguardian Forums, that points to a program (hack) that will disable driver signing and works for both Vista x64 and Windows7 x64. You will have to dig through the forum post on getting Peerguardian to work with Vista, the Hack is listed in there (sorry for no link, can't get to the site from work ;))

2nd. There is a post in the Peerguardian Forums, that points to a program (hack) that will disable driver signing and works for both Vista x64 and Windows7 x64. You will have to dig through the forum post on getting Peerguardian to work with Vista, the Hack is listed in there (sorry for no link, can't get to the site from work ;))

If you could link me at some point, that would be great.

Integrity checks do not add any security benefits; instead, they add annoyance. I'll take my own chances, which is what an operating system should have been designed to do in the first place.

Any hacks out there?

I want full control over my operating system

You cannot use Vista, Win2K8 server nor Win7 if you want full control over your operating system. Microsoft has turned your PC into a media player with all of the DRM to protect the media industry. :(

You cannot use Vista, Win2K8 server nor Win7 if you want full control over your operating system. Microsoft has turned your PC into a media player with all of the DRM to protect the media industry. :(

That's why I want a hack ;).

I think there'd be one out there by now...

Shitty drivers are the #1 cause of System crashes in XP and earlier. And who gets blamed when the System crashes? Microsoft. Only makes sense that they'd force QC into the process. Remeber: If you have full control over your system, so do malicious programs.

Again, I feel adequately protected, and I do not need the advice of Microsoft.

XP x64 works great. I just want true DX 10, so that's why I'm even using this POS OS.

Hack anyone?

Again, I feel adequately protected, and I do not need the advice of Microsoft.

XP x64 works great. I just want true DX 10, so that's why I'm even using this POS OS.

Hack anyone?

Go buy a Mac and leave us alone, you ignorant imbecile.

I don't want a Mac. Hate em. I just want to use my damn computer, and I'm always having to fight my way through Vista's BS.

If you could link me at some point, that would be great.

Any hacks out there?

Why can't you just dig through that forum if you want it so bad? He at least pointed you in the right direction.

Seems to me from reading only your posts in this thread that you want everything your way without having to do any of the work yourself. I hope you don't find a solution to your problem. And I mean that in the nicest way possible.

Shitty drivers are the #1 cause of System crashes in XP and earlier. And who gets blamed when the System crashes? Microsoft. Only makes sense that they'd force QC into the process. Remeber: If you have full control over your system, so do malicious programs.

Didn't MS blame shitty drivers for all of the Vista BSOD's? I don't think the DRM prevents system crashes, just causes problems.

Why can't you just dig through that forum if you want it so bad? He at least pointed you in the right direction.

Seems to me from reading only your posts in this thread that you want everything your way without having to do any of the work yourself. I hope you don't find a solution to your problem. And I mean that in the nicest way possible.

I shouldn't have to do any damn work. Microsoft should have given its users and customers options. I don't know how to hack, so I hope there are some Chinese crackers out there that will fix my issue. I've used ReadyDriverPlus before, and I hate it!

Unless one already exists....

I looked through the Peerguardian forums, and I could not find it. I have to make a living; not search Peerguardian's forums.

whine whine whine... it's Microsoft's fault I can't be a little pirate whine.. whine whine

Driver signing is not a DRM feature and if you don't like it, use a different OS. MS isn't making you use Windows 64

Another option is to press F8 on every boot to manually select "Disable Integrity Checks", but only reboot whenever necessary; just put the computer in Standby/Hibernate when not using it.

I'm afraid there's no true way to permanently disable the integrity checks unless you want to run Vista without any service packs or any patches. It pisses me off too as I use the XBCD drivers for my Xbox controller, which are unsigned.

Wow. I have never heard a user complain about Patchguard. Guess I need to pay more attention...

I don't know what PeerGuardian is, but if you really want unsecured access, I suggest using Virtual PC, with a 32 bit version of whatever program you want to load.

Patchguard is absolutely wonderful from a security stand point. Driver's shouldn't be messing with the kernel internals.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Unfortunately, common sense and logic are lost on persons such as the OP. And Windows doesn't belong to any of us, it belongs to Microsoft. It's not YOUR OS so... my god, I thought after 20+ years people would understand software licensing by now.

So much for that.

And as is usually stated, if you want that much control over an OS, write your own or run some Linux distro.

NEXT!!!

Unfortunately, common sense and logic are lost on persons such as the OP. And Windows doesn't belong to any of us, it belongs to Microsoft. It's not YOUR OS so... my god, I thought after 20+ years people would understand software licensing by now.

So much for that.

And as is usually stated, if you want that much control over an OS, write your own or run some Linux distro.

NEXT!!!

People like you lack common sense and logic. We are bullied into submission, and we no longer have any rights. I cannot do what I want to do with my operating system. My computer has never suffered a massive virus infection where the damage was irreparable. I use ZoneAlarm Extreme Security, check active processes manually, notice strange application behavior, and I eliminate everything that threatens me immediately. It's really not a hard thing to do.

Unlike the average PC user, I don't need security from Microsoft who has supposedly done you a favor by blocking off access to the operating system. What a strange world we live in today. The fear of security brainwashes the populace into believing everything Microsoft (and other companies too) wants you to believe.

It's not just Peerguardian though; I want to be able to control all aspects of my operating system. The fact they removed the disable integrity checks command is revolting. It was there, and now they decided to take away any access we once had over the operating system.

And yet you people idolize this security feature which adds no security what-so-ever.

I'm still more impressed with the 2001 OS of XP than some BS uncontrollable Vista. Windows 7 x64 - HA! - Not a chance in hell unless I can disable integrity checks.

whine whine whine... it's Microsoft's fault I can't be a little pirate whine.. whine whine

Driver signing is not a DRM feature and if you don't like it, use a different OS. MS isn't making you use Windows 64

This has nothing to do with piracy. It has everything to do with protecting your privacy and rights. Peerguardian helps you fight to regain your rights.

I will not voluntarily submit myself to government spying, forced DRM (MOST EVIL THING EVER INVENTED), and the loss of my rights.

Hell no, I'll fight.

Your response was so predictable based on all your previous posts in this thread that I or probably anyone else could have typed it up beforehand and posted it for you.

Common sense and logic, eh? Submission, eh? EH? No rights, eh? Funny... I run a wide variety of OSes on my own personal hardware... but you're too ignorant to know this, and that's ok, I understand, I do.

It's not Microsoft's job to protect me, it's mine. It's not Microsoft's fault that people have no lives and sit around doing nothing better with the small modicum of knowledge some of them have and go after Microsoft's products with nothing but malicious intent.

I'd provide an analogy to make the point but, alas, it would be way way over your head anyway so I won't bother.

Bleh... it's people like you that continue to make life hard on the rest of us. Your ignorance isn't bliss, it's stupidity, plain and simple.

You've made your position quite clear, now it's time for you to move on.

People like you lack common sense and logic. We are bullied into submission, and we no longer have any rights. I cannot do what I want to do with my operating system. My computer has never suffered a massive virus infection where the damage was irreparable. I use ZoneAlarm Extreme Security, check active processes manually, notice strange application behavior, and I eliminate everything that threatens me immediately. It's really not a hard thing to do.

Unlike the average PC user, I don't need security from Microsoft who has supposedly done you a favor by blocking off access to the operating system. What a strange world we live in today. The fear of security brainwashes the populace into believing everything Microsoft (and other companies too) wants you to believe.

It's not just Peerguardian though; I want to be able to control all aspects of my operating system. The fact they removed the disable integrity checks command is revolting. It was there, and now they decided to take away any access we once had over the operating system.

And yet you people idolize this security feature which adds no security what-so-ever.

I'm still more impressed with the 2001 OS of XP than some BS uncontrollable Vista. Windows 7 x64 - HA! - Not a chance in hell unless I can disable integrity checks.

If Microsoft is forcing you to do something you do not want to do then do not do it. Do something else. OS X or Linux off the top of my head. I don't know much about Linux but people rave about how they control the OS, not MS. So go for it. And what better way to fight the fight but to not support a company you do not like?

Also, figuring out a work around to disable security checks is not fighting MS because you are still supporting them by using their product. They will not change if you do not change.

If Microsoft is forcing you to do something you do not want to do then do not do it. Do something else. OS X or Linux off the top of my head. I don't know much about Linux but people rave about how they control the OS, not MS. So go for it. And what better way to fight the fight but to not support a company you do not like?

Also, figuring out a work around to disable security checks is not fighting MS because you are still supporting them by using their product. They will not change if you do not change.

XP + Vista are great products. I never said they were not, but integrity checks is driving me over the edge. I also don't want to use Linux, as I've tried that before, and it was terrible.

If someone were to hack the integrity checks in Vista and Windows 7, they'd be the best operating systems ever.

Your response was so predictable based on all your previous posts in this thread that I or probably anyone else could have typed it up beforehand and posted it for you.

Common sense and logic, eh? Submission, eh? EH? No rights, eh? Funny... I run a wide variety of OSes on my own personal hardware... but you're too ignorant to know this, and that's ok, I understand, I do.

It's not Microsoft's job to protect me, it's mine. It's not Microsoft's fault that people have no lives and sit around doing nothing better with the small modicum of knowledge some of them have and go after Microsoft's products with nothing but malicious intent.

I'd provide an analogy to make the point but, alas, it would be way way over your head anyway so I won't bother.

Bleh... it's people like you that continue to make life hard on the rest of us. Your ignorance isn't bliss, it's stupidity, plain and simple.

You've made your position quite clear, now it's time for you to move on.

I'm with him Joe, I'm pissed off at Ford because my Ford Focus wont do 150mph. I dont know how to work on cars so I cant fix it myself but that damned Ford should at least give me the ability to do 150mph. Ford is holding me back and trying to control my life!!! LOL

This has nothing to do with piracy. It has everything to do with protecting your privacy and rights. Peerguardian helps you fight to regain your rights.

I will not voluntarily submit myself to government spying, forced DRM (MOST EVIL THING EVER INVENTED), and the loss of my rights.

Hell no, I'll fight.

Dude, you seriously need to loosen your tinfoil hat because it's constricting blood flow to the brain.

Instead of all your bitching a simple Google search would have found you this:

http://phrosty.phoenixlabs.org/pg2-rc1/

On their OWN f'n webpage they tell you how to bypass the integrity check.

I love how they piss and moan about paying for a digital certificate to sign their software but yet they ask for donations on multiple pages. This is the first time I've seen anybody complain about the Digitally Signed drivers piece of Vista.

PhoenixLabs said:
They call this a security feature, but we believe this is basically snake-oil: although code signatures let you verify where the driver came from, it does not protect at all against a malicious driver (such as a virus).

They conveniently leave out the fact that combined with UAC a digitally signed driver shows exactly who the driver is from so the user can verify. If it is unsigned driver that you know nothing about it comes up as Unknown and you have the option to NOT install preventing you from installing the driver which could be malicious as they claim. Meaning in the end if the user allows an unsigned malicious driver to be installed then that is the USER's fault, not Microsofts.

This whole thread is interesting. I have never heard anybody complain about patchguard. And I assure you from someone who was there, XP was not secure. XPSP2 was a rediculous amount of work.

You tell me that patchguard doesn't add security to your operating system, I'm curious about how you decided that. Patchguard is one of the coolest features that came out in XP X64, and updated in Vista. You are almost immune to rootkits, and if you were rooted, you can revoke the certificate. Yes, developers have an additional cost, but unfortunately, that's the downside to this security feature. (Security is always about tradeoffs)

I'm sorry you feel Microsoft is denying you, and targetting you.

I for one appreciate the extra security, and run Peerguardian (and related programs) in a XP 32-bit VM instead of hacking my drivers.

Dude, you seriously need to loosen your tinfoil hat because it's constricting blood flow to the brain.

Instead of all your bitching a simple Google search would have found you this:

http://phrosty.phoenixlabs.org/pg2-rc1/

On their OWN f'n webpage they tell you how to bypass the integrity check.

I love how they piss and moan about paying for a digital certificate to sign their software but yet they ask for donations on multiple pages. This is the first time I've seen anybody complain about the Digitally Signed drivers piece of Vista.

They conveniently leave out the fact that combined with UAC a digitally signed driver shows exactly who the driver is from so the user can verify. If it is unsigned driver that you know nothing about it comes up as Unknown and you have the option to NOT install preventing you from installing the driver which could be malicious as they claim. Meaning in the end if the user allows an unsigned malicious driver to be installed then that is the USER's fault, not Microsofts.

Sorry, but SP1 disables those commands. There is currently no way to load an unsigned driver in Vista. I would use ReadyDriverPlus, but for some reason, the last time I installed it and tried to boot it, it said it was corrupt. So I uninstalled it.

I just wish there was patch or a way users could disable it.

Oh, and by the way, it should always be the user's fault for a messed up computer, not Microsoft.

This whole thread is interesting. I have never heard anybody complain about patchguard. And I assure you from someone who was there, XP was not secure. XPSP2 was a rediculous amount of work.

You tell me that patchguard doesn't add security to your operating system, I'm curious about how you decided that. Patchguard is one of the coolest features that came out in XP X64, and updated in Vista. You are almost immune to rootkits, and if you were rooted, you can revoke the certificate. Yes, developers have an additional cost, but unfortunately, that's the downside to this security feature. (Security is always about tradeoffs)

I'm sorry you feel Microsoft is denying you, and targetting you.

What is patchguard? Is that the start of this BS integrity checks? XP x64 doesn't have any integrity checks.... does it? I'm using XP x64 right now, and I'm not having any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back