Disable GPU throttling while gaming on AMD 480?

Ycarcomed

n00b
My gpu downclocks for energy savings, which is fine until i game on it. I download the Crimson drivers with the UI and took off AMD Chill and everything that seemed like it would do that, but to no avail. I also put the computer in 'high performance' for the Windows energy plan and nothing yet. It will sit at 99% load only using 70% of the gpu, instead of just using 80% of the gpu at 90% load, which really messes with games.

Can you give us some specifics? What is the rest of the machine, what game/resolution etc.

480 is an old GPU. Is this a used model or did you buy it new? Could be that the paste is drying out and it is overheating.

It's quite a few games but not necessarily the most demanding. It will stutter in games like CS:GO but not in higher demand games. The 480 was bought new awhile ago, and the temps never stress the curve, they don't get about 70c even on load.
The gpu load graph ends up looking like /\_/\_/\_/\_... Where the high points are more demand. And it seems to be because it's being throttled from the ~1200mhz stock clock down to like 800mhz, and then struggling with games (instead of just maintaining higher clocks.)
I tried to use gpuup.exe in the AMD folder, but it doesn't seem to work anymore? I can't see why I can't just disable the energy scaling when I know I'll be playing a game and want consistent and full power.

It may still be a heat issue. The down clocking might be a result of a spiking temp. Is this new?
When is the last FULL de-dusting of your system?
I mean case/power supply/GPU? (and keep a finger on those fans so you don't wreak them with that blasting air)
What DooKey said. If after what I said above it may be a GPU paste issue. But to me that would be a late check. Are all case fans working well for proper airflow?
How old is your PS? Maybe it is the failing component here possibly.
Maybe just start with a complete driver uninstall, DDU, then a single fresh driver install of the last main release (not the latest and greatest ya?) and see how it goes.

It's quite a few games but not necessarily the most demanding. It will stutter in games like CS:GO but not in higher demand games. The 480 was bought new awhile ago, and the temps never stress the curve, they don't get about 70c even on load.
The gpu load graph ends up looking like /\_/\_/\_/\_... Where the high points are more demand. And it seems to be because it's being throttled from the ~1200mhz stock clock down to like 800mhz, and then struggling with games (instead of just maintaining higher clocks.)
I tried to use gpuup.exe in the AMD folder, but it doesn't seem to work anymore? I can't see why I can't just disable the energy scaling when I know I'll be playing a game and want consistent and full power.

In CS you're almost certainly CPU limited, so again, what is the rest of the system?

I have an AMD 3600+ cpu under water cooling. as i said all my temps are good, it is not a thermal throttle - the absolute hottest it gets on load is like 72c and that's full load (on the graphics card not the cpu, which is much lower.) good case flow, regular cleans. i was just playing sea of thieves for a couple hours with friends and cpu stayed under 48c and the gpu under 60c. but i don't think i've ever had the problem in sea of thieves anyway.

anyway back to the initial question, is there a way to just have normal stock clocks, but it constantly and sometimes poorly switching between like 4 or 5 clock/power states?

I have an AMD 3600+ cpu under water cooling. as i said all my temps are good, it is not a thermal throttle - the absolute hottest it gets on load is like 72c and that's full load (on the graphics card not the cpu, which is much lower.) good case flow, regular cleans. i was just playing sea of thieves for a couple hours with friends and cpu stayed under 48c and the gpu under 60c. but i don't think i've ever had the problem in sea of thieves anyway.

anyway back to the initial question, is there a way to just have normal stock clocks, but it constantly and sometimes poorly switching between like 4 or 5 clock/power states?
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ ?

Alright, I went and tested this myself to see whats up. You have something else going on brother. I slapped my RX570 4GB into my spare machine which has an 1800X and RAM that only runs at 2133mhz or it blue screens, AMD latest drivers. I was EASILY maintaining 110-150fps smooth as butter at the recommended settings for 1080p. Playing on an AW2523HF which is a 360hz screen, this game was so smooth it actually makes me jealous because the games I normally play are nowhere near as good.

Do you have any other games that have issues? Seems like there is a problem somewhere else. I couldn't figure out how to get a screenshot of the Radeon overlay so heres a cell phone pic after playing for like 25 minutes.

Note that the GPU clock is rock steady at 1300mhz except when I was in the menu.

IMG_0935.jpeg

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ ?
lol no the 6 core 3.2ghz. except i think the amd overclock thing has it 3.4ghz on low volts.

Alright, I went and tested this myself to see whats up. You have something else going on brother. I slapped my RX570 4GB into my spare machine which has an 1800X and RAM that only runs at 2133mhz or it blue screens, AMD latest drivers. I was EASILY maintaining 110-150fps smooth as butter at the recommended settings for 1080p. Playing on an AW2523HF which is a 360hz screen, this game was so smooth it actually makes me jealous because the games I normally play are nowhere near as good.

Do you have any other games that have issues? Seems like there is a problem somewhere else. I couldn't figure out how to get a screenshot of the Radeon overlay so heres a cell phone pic after playing for like 25 minutes.

Note that the GPU clock is rock steady at 1300mhz except when I was in the menu.
that's why i am so confused. i've built computers for 20 years and there is something i am completely unfamiliar with causing problems. it could just be the card is dying, i bought it on release and it's been awhile now. it just doesn't have the normal signs of old age. valve games seem to have the most issues, but it's happened in the most recent path of exile league as well, and bannerlord but very rarely. i am definitely updating/replacing soon, but was curious in the meantime.

lol no the 6 core 3.2ghz. except i think the amd overclock thing has it 3.4ghz on low volts.

that's why i am so confused. i've built computers for 20 years and there is something i am completely unfamiliar with causing problems. it could just be the card is dying, i bought it on release and it's been awhile now. it just doesn't have the normal signs of old age. valve games seem to have the most issues, but it's happened in the most recent path of exile league as well, and bannerlord but very rarely. i am definitely updating/replacing soon, but was curious in the meantime.

Have you tried running DDU and removing the drivers entirely and doing a fresh install? What version of Windows? I know Windows 11 had a bug recently where it would download the default AMD driver instead of the current one.

Have you tried running DDU and removing the drivers entirely and doing a fresh install? What version of Windows? I know Windows 11 had a bug recently where it would download the default AMD driver instead of the current one.
Yes I used DDU in safe mode, and reinstalled Windows 10 for a separate reason about two months ago. I had that problem as well with Windows 10 where windows would install drivers over my latest crimson drivers.

Yes I used DDU in safe mode, and reinstalled Windows 10 for a separate reason about two months ago. I had that problem as well with Windows 10 where windows would install drivers over my latest crimson drivers.

You've got quite a stumper. Can you borrow a card from someone to test? Trying to think of what else you can do to figure it out.

You've got quite a stumper. Can you borrow a card from someone to test? Trying to think of what else you can do to figure it out.
That is the only thing I'm unable to do, my back up cards are now in young family's roblox computers lol. Nothing is 'out of place' in terms of ram use or cpu scaling and heat, etc. My games and OS are on SSD, etc. Like I said I have no qualms about just buying a new one this one has given its money's worth for sure, but it is just perplexing to me.

That is the only thing I'm unable to do, my back up cards are now in young family's roblox computers lol. Nothing is 'out of place' in terms of ram use or cpu scaling and heat, etc. My games and OS are on SSD, etc. Like I said I have no qualms about just buying a new one this one has given its money's worth for sure, but it is just perplexing to me.

I chase problems like this, sometimes to the detriment of my wallet. I get too invested in what it was, just can't help it :D

Back