DirectX 12 won't require a new graphics card

The confusion seems to lie in the difference between full support of DX12 features and support of some DX12 features.

well on my 980 box it says "full DX12 support", so yeah not impressed with all the bullshit

well on my 980 box it says "full DX12 support", so yeah not impressed with all the bullshit

From how it is currently being presented going forward there will be both DirectX 11 and DirectX 12.

DirectX 12 will be the low more optimized lower level API. Better performance but more complex to work with.

DirectX 11 will stay as an alternative for developers and wider support. Not all developers will want to (or will need to) work with a lower level API.

Newer features however will be shared across both APIs and supposedly DX12s base feature set will parallel DX11.3 (which is why presumably Maxwell 2.0 is stated as full support).

What may have been less or more confusing (depending on perspective) might be if they just launched as DX 12.3 along with 12.2, 12.1, 12.0.

MS can make an API and throw all kinds of magic unicorn dust in it. That doesn't mean GPU engineers are going to even care one wit about that when designing the best GPU.
It does, hence why after every major DX API Level release, the next crop of cards with a new architecture (or architecture refresh) will implement the new features, notable exceptions being rebadges of existing cores.

They said dx11 would be backwards compatible with dx10 but there are games that run on dx11 only like Watchdogs and Crysis 3.
The way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if Ubisoft or EA are working on dx12 only games now. Especially after the ridiculous requirements on assassin's creed unity. You could have a brand new $1000 + gaming computer that doesn't meet requirements for that game. I am not saying any $1000 rig can't play it. Just saying I wouldn't underestimate what developers will do as far as locking you out of a game with hardware requirements and DX requirement will make the game not work at all,like in crysis 3.

And then you discover the magic of settings sliders ;).

And then you discover the magic of settings sliders ;).

Not sure what you mean by setting sliders?
The point I was trying to make is you may need a DX12 card to run future games and no telling how soon that could be. I don't have much faith in companies like EA or Ubisoft to have future dx11 support judging by what they have done with requirements in the past.

Not sure what you mean by setting sliders?
The point I was trying to make is you may need a DX12 card to run future games and no telling how soon that could be. I don't have much faith in companies like EA or Ubisoft to have future dx11 support judging by what they have done with requirements in the past.

Considering the first directx 11 hardware from, for example, nvidia, launched around 5 years ago and there's only starting to be a handful of games requiring a DX11 card even... that's hardly a concern whatsoever. Your complaint about performance is what I assumed was your real concern, as DX11 still isn't a requirement for most any game to run still and it's been half a decade :p.

Considering the first directx 11 hardware from, for example, nvidia, launched around 5 years ago and there's only starting to be a handful of games requiring a DX11 card even... that's hardly a concern whatsoever. Your complaint about performance is what I assumed was your real concern, as DX11 still isn't a requirement for most any game to run still and it's been half a decade :p.

Crysis 3 came out less than 3 years after Nvidia first dx11 card. If I buy a high end video card I would like to to play anything for more than 3 years. I think I made a good choice getting a dx11 card at launch instead of getting a dx10 card. My 5870 will still play anything.
You are missing my point. I can deal with a 3 year old card not being able to max out games but not being able to launch due to dx requirement is a waste.

come on.

Its silly to think a 3 year old card can run the newest tech.

That just not the way the industry works.

come on.

Its silly to think a 3 year old card can run the newest tech.

That just not the way the industry works.

Why not? 7970 Is three years old and still a good card. I would consider that a good buy for anyone who got it at launch. If I was going to buy a new high end card today I would only consider a DX12 card.
If I buy a graphics card that cost close to a console I would like it to last more than 3 years.
Aside from my opinion on this the thread title says "DirectX 12 won't require a new graphics card" They said the same thing about DX11 was going to be backward compatible and it is not. You cant play all games all DX11 games on a DX10 card.
It should be considered by anyone who is buying a card today and wants it to last. If you think its silly to keep a card for more than 3 years get a dx11 card.

dx12 as any version came before, get us games utilizing the tech first.
the 290 atm is just a value performance superb.

Back