Direct2Drive Red Faction: Guerrilla $4.95

Pretty fun game. Held my interest for a blowin' stuff up and watching stuff fall down. Well worth 5 duckets. Works great with Eyefinity.

It's a fun game bought it for $10 on steam during their holiday sale. I wish I had bought it from D2D instead, $5 less and doesn't need the steam client running to play.

Man...I'm loving this trend of good, recent games for great prices...but the money adds up!!

Been wanting this game since I rented it on 360; thanks OP!

Good game, entertained me for many days. Wish they didn't condense the latter part of the game so much, just when it was getting real good. Don't forget to play the extra content after the game, difficulty increases as well.

dont buy if you run windows 7...game runs at 1.5 speed and there is no fix as they "do not officially support that OS"

I got it on windows 7 also, it runs pretty slow. :( Turned down some settings but still get the same fps. :( Really fun game! Love the destruction. Does phsyx make this game look better?!

Your transaction will require review by a Customer Service Agent. Please contact Customer Service for further information. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Did anyone else get this after paying? This is ridiculous.

I dont think so because I dont think the paypal one went through, plus if it does, no biggie. 5 bucks isnt something to kill over and im sure they will refund you.

Yeah, it didn't go through, CC worked fine.

Long download, though. Oh well, 5 bucks, I can wait.

I got it on windows 7 also, it runs pretty slow. :( Turned down some settings but still get the same fps. :( Really fun game! Love the destruction. Does phsyx make this game look better?!

It doesnt use Physx (GPU physics). It uses multicore CPUs for the physics. You want a quad core for this game :) This game is more CPU limited than anything.

Shit I got an i5 and the game runs a 30 or lower at 1680x1050, idk whats wrong, even if I change some setting lower it stays the same.

Awesome find. I couldn't peel my eyes off the screen from the last $5 download, Frontlines:Fuel of War. I can't wait until this download finishes... thanks OP!

Did you turn off ambient occlusion? I got a very large boost in frames just by doing that.

The game initially played like complete dog crap for me. I was very disappointed. There were a TON of people complaining about poor performance in the RF:G forums. Apparently running the game in windowed mode fixed the issue for a lot of people, but some (including me) weren't willing to put up with that. I tried backing down from 2560x1600 to 1920x1200 and it helped a bit, but I felt the game was still running like a POS. After reading for a bit I found out that it apparently doesn't like SLI so I disabled one of my cards and the game ran better, but still poorly. After more research I figured out how to get the game working in SLI via nHancer and it ran even better, but still a bit choppy. I saw several people mention that ambient occlusion caused a big performance penalty so I disabled that tonight and the game FINALLY runs smooth as butter at 2560x1600 even during the destruction sequences. I'm extremely pleased with the performance now, but I must say it was a PITA to get to this point. I bought the game through Steam but apparently these issues plagued many people no matter which version of the game they had.

Shit I got an i5 and the game runs a 30 or lower at 1680x1050, idk whats wrong, even if I change some setting lower it stays the same.

Disable ambient occlusion, its nothing more than a performance hog.

Thanks I snagged it for a quarter due to my $5 off coupon from the Xmas sale. Is it me or do the shadows look like ass? Why does it "erase" the shadows in an outline around the characters?

If you're all about standing around nitpicking at that stuff, this game is definitely not for you... Just wait til' the purple dots show up and you're still trying to make out the details of the graphics.

9800GTX runs it great with everything but AO on. It feels faster than the 360 version.

Runs great on my GTX 260 and Q6600 @ 3.6ghz (1680x1050). I dropped AA to 4x before running the game (haven't tried anything higher), but set all the other settings to whatever it gives you at "Very High".

Sorry, no suggestions, but just wanted to post a setup that does work in case anybody was on the fence about buying this game and had similar specs.

What kind of Fps do you get Riles? I have a 5770 and an i5 with the same res and mines poopy.

What kind of Fps do you get Riles? I have a 5770 and an i5 with the same res and mines poopy.

I haven't used an FPS counter, but its definitely enough that I can't notice any choppy or interrupted frames (so at least 30 FPS I would assume). The important thing is that even during intense scenes with lots of destruction, it never gets choppy, so that must mean my minimum framerate is at least 30ish, or whatever the human eye sees as fluid.

I just checked my in game settings- I was wrong before, I am using 2x rather than 4x AA, but here is the list of settings I use which seem to be very smooth:
-1680x1050 Res
-2x AA
-High Shadow
-Soft Shadow = True
-Depth of Field = True
-Motion Blur = True
-Particle Detail = Very High
-Ambient Occlusion = True
Sun Shafts = True

What speed does your proc run at? I have a big overclock on mine, so I'm not sure if that's the x factor here, but maybe. I checked the task manager while playing and it does seem to hit the proc pretty hard. Maybe a bigger OC on your proc would help? I'm not that up to speed on the new 5 series from ATI, but I gotta think your 5770 + i5 are pretty similar (probably better actually) to my gtx 260 + q6600.

Mines stock right now cus I dont have a case right now and havent put my H50 on. But Im pretty sure my i5 is close to your q6600 oced. And my 5770 is slower than the gtx260 but the game still shouldnt run like it does. Mine lags when I breakdown a building and stuff. :(

Mines stock right now cus I dont have a case right now and havent put my H50 on. But Im pretty sure my i5 is close to your q6600 oced. And my 5770 is slower than the gtx260 but the game still shouldnt run like it does. Mine lags when I breakdown a building and stuff. :(

From what I've read in this thread and in other places on the internet, the physics engine is CPU based, so if destruction is causing a drop in framerate, its gotta be the proc. Try a mild overclock and see if that helps.

Did you turn off ambient occlusion? I got a very large boost in frames just by doing that.

The game initially played like complete dog crap for me. I was very disappointed. There were a TON of people complaining about poor performance in the RF:G forums. Apparently running the game in windowed mode fixed the issue for a lot of people, but some (including me) weren't willing to put up with that. I tried backing down from 2560x1600 to 1920x1200 and it helped a bit, but I felt the game was still running like a POS. After reading for a bit I found out that it apparently doesn't like SLI so I disabled one of my cards and the game ran better, but still poorly. After more research I figured out how to get the game working in SLI via nHancer and it ran even better, but still a bit choppy. I saw several people mention that ambient occlusion caused a big performance penalty so I disabled that tonight and the game FINALLY runs smooth as butter at 2560x1600 even during the destruction sequences. I'm extremely pleased with the performance now, but I must say it was a PITA to get to this point. I bought the game through Steam but apparently these issues plagued many people no matter which version of the game they had.

Good information here. I have a similar system and was worried about SLI support and performance at 2560.

I'm loving all these $5 or less game deals. I'll have to pick this one up now if for no other reason than to see if blowing holes in walls is still as fun as it was in the first Red Faction. :D

From what I've read in this thread and in other places on the internet, the physics engine is CPU based, so if destruction is causing a drop in framerate, its gotta be the proc. Try a mild overclock and see if that helps.
Yeah I will when the new case comes in and when Im moved into my new house.
Good information here. I have a similar system and was worried about SLI support and performance at 2560.

I'm loving all these $5 or less game deals. I'll have to pick this one up now if for no other reason than to see if blowing holes in walls is still as fun as it was in the first Red Faction. :D
Oh its tons of fun.

It doesnt use Physx (GPU physics). It uses multicore CPUs for the physics. You want a quad core for this game :) This game is more CPU limited than anything.
Yeah its cpu limited for me on my dual core, but the physics seem pretty cool especially compared to any phsyx title which always seem slow and unimpressive.

I'll have to pick this one up now if for no other reason than to see if blowing holes in walls is still as fun as it was in the first Red Faction. :D

More so! Bringing down entire structures is a lot more satisfying than blowing a random hole in a wall or bridge. I liked the first RF and recently played through it again, but the destruction in RF:G is definitely on another level. :)

Back