Dimensions of 6970 - will they fit in ASUS P6T motherboard

addictedto60fps

[H]ard|Gawd
Until AMD announces a date for their 7xxx line or Nvidia announces a date for their 6xxxx series, it's getting harder and harder for me to resist upgrading my cards. In the meantime, if I were to upgrade to two 6970's, does anyone know if these will fit in my ASUS P6T motherboard? I'm looking at the PCI slots on this board and they're a bit closer to each other than I'd like. Anyone know what the depth is of these cards in inches?

you have a 5970, i would advise again't upgrading as the increase in performance is not worth the cost.

True, it probably isn't worth it. I just wish AMD/Nvidia would announce some kind of date for the successor cards, so I know what time frame to expect. ;)

Until AMD announces a date for their 7xxx line or Nvidia announces a date for their 6xxxx series, it's getting harder and harder for me to resist upgrading my cards. In the meantime, if I were to upgrade to two 6970's, does anyone know if these will fit in my ASUS P6T motherboard? I'm looking at the PCI slots on this board and they're a bit closer to each other than I'd like. Anyone know what the depth is of these cards in inches?

You'd have to be a bit more specific on model....ive seen them as short as 10.3 inches and as long as 11.5 inches.

You'd have to be a bit more specific on model....ive seen them as short as 10.3 inches and as long as 11.5 inches.

Ok, didn't know they would vary so much in dimensions. I guess the Sapphire one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2915&cm_re=radeon_6970-_-14-102-915-_-Product

and the MSI Lightning one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7581&cm_re=radeon_6970-_-14-127-581-_-Product

Length and width aren't a problem for me. It's the depth that I'm curious about.

You can run 2 cards right next to each other, but the card on the bottom will run significantly hotter due to poor airflow. Taping a bit of folded paper to its shroud to act as a spacer and push them appart slightly will help with cooling. Card length is a case issue, and isn't mobo specific.

Airflow might be an issue with two cards stacked on each other. Folded piece of material such as a ziptie will help but the top card will run significantly hotter due to poor airflow.

I had a motherboard with two 16x pci slots stacked on each other. Top card 80C idle, Bottom card 56C idle. I moved to another motherboard/cpu and now idle around 60C for the top card. I keep the idle fan speeds very low so I don't hear them - Cards never break 84C under 100% load now.

Most cards are 2 pci slots wide. A few cards are 2 1/2 wide but its very rare.

Also keep in mind though that GPUs have much much higher thermal tolerances then CPUs, so 100C is still within thermal limits...though I still wouldnt like to see mine running that hot.

They fit, I've got 3 in mine right now. Temps are fine with custom fan profiles but doesn't look like I'll be able to OC a ton, definitely no overvolt. The cards are pretty close together.

The main issue on the third one is having enough space between the card and the bottom of the case, or in my case the top since I have a reverse tower.

They fit, I've got 3 in mine right now. Temps are fine with custom fan profiles but doesn't look like I'll be able to OC a ton, definitely no overvolt. The cards are pretty close together.

The main issue on the third one is having enough space between the card and the bottom of the case, or in my case the top since I have a reverse tower.

Awesome, good to hear, thanks! I think I'll wait it out until the successor cards come out first, but if those don't show up until mid next year or something, it's nice to know that I can upgrade if I really need to.

Back