Digital camera picture taking delay

Gauvain

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to get a digital camera for my sister. The problem being, every low-end digicam that I've played with has a fairly substantial delay before snapping the shot. Since she is dealing with small, rapidly moving objects (preschoolers) this doesn't work very well.

Any suggestions for a cheap camera that doesn't have that problem?

If you don't want shutter lag, a digital SLR is the way to go, but it's not cheap. For something a little slower and cheaper, check out some of the Panasonic cameras (FX9, FZ30), they have a high speed focus mode

That is one reason why I went DSLR. Because no matter what Point&Shoot camera I tried or owned there was a delay. I have missed some great shots because of that delay. One problem is that the pic/scene has to be displayed which equals milliseconds. Now with my DSLR, I can point and click away without delay. I am a happy man...

I will agree with the others all P&Ss' have a good amount of delay. I have a Nikon Coolpix 4600. I has a sports mode on it but, this only increases the shutter and, ISO equivalent, to stop action. I have a D50 and, the 4600 feels and, is way slow compared to it.

My old Mavica FD-71 does not have a lag. All though it is old now, and the picture quality pales in comparison to the cameras today.

If you pre-focus, i.e. hold the shutter halfway, then press it fully, it has reduced lag.

Most of the delay is taken with focusing. If you go ahead and hold it for a sec, then when you snap, it's much faster. While not as fast as DSLR of film... it can help.

Also, if you can choose a fixed focus, you shouldn't have any lag at all.

Back