difference between dvd-r and dvd+r?

Corson

Limp Gawd
im planning on purchasing a Lite-On 8X DVD+/-RW Drive (Model SOHW-812S) and i was wondering if i should buy dvd-r or dvd+r discs? i dont know the real differences between the two or if one is better that the other for different things or whatever. im planning on backing up files and burning movies.

There's little difference between DVD-R and DVD+R as far as you care. The real difference is in dual layer and RW discs. Check out compatibility for them at www.dvdrhelp.com

Btw, this should be in the disks -> optical section.

Well, here's the long answer (according to Maximum PC).

Pioneer developed the first DVD-R drive and later a DVD-RW.

However, some manufacturers didn't like the idea of having to pay a fee to Pioneer for ever drive they produced and sold. So a group of companies including Sony, Philips, and HP went off and developed theor own format, DVD+RW. It had some technological improvements over -RW (like lossless linking and defect management, whatever the heck they mean). Later came the +R standard to compete with -R.

Here's the deal. Since -R is the older format, it means that it is the most compatible with most DVD players. However, +RW is newer than -RW, and is there for better for data. However, there is a high chance that +RW and +R won't work with older DVD drives.

So if you're backing up data, use +RW because of the new tech features. If you're making a DVD movie for playing on a stand alone DVD player, use -R for the sake of compatibility.

There are a few minor technical details, but seems to make a big difference. My work learned this the hard way when we needed to get a DVD replicated 1500 times. Since our customer was not providing us a DLT to use for a master (this is apparently the recommened media to send to a replication shop... even more so with DVD Video, due to the higher quality of the data). So we provided a DVD+R, and ever single replicated disc failed. Several large shops around us refused a +R master for some reason. Sounds like in the DVD industry it is a pretty big debate going on which standard is better.

Personally for archiving and duplication of discs I use DVD+R, and since I only like keeping one media type in stock I am starting to only work with replicators that accept DVD+R. Spend a few hours google searching and you could write several books off the stuff you find.

From what I can tell the problem is going to get worse before it gets better as we move beyond DVD-5 and DVD-9.

If you want even more information, DVD-R is indeed more compatible than DVD+R. DVD+R is not really better. But if you look at DVD+RW, lossless linking is key.

one more question, ive been searching around looking for info about dual layer burning, and im wondering whether or not you can burn dual layer on regular 4.7 dvd r's. it doesnt seem like you can but i dont see any dual layer discs for sale anywhere, sorry this is such a dumb question i know.

Back