Didnt want to hijack posts, so a few quest.

I was wondering if I got a locked 2500 barton, many people were talking about "fsb overclocking", if this is possible then why would be a barton be locked initailly? I mean if O/Cers can get past it so easily why is it even bothered?

also in a fsb overclock and a normal overclock for a barton is there a difference performancewise? thanks.

I was wondering if I got a locked 2500 barton, many people were talking about "fsb overclocking", if this is possible then why would be a barton be locked initailly?

You can still overclock the Barton by the FSB. AMD has just recently decided to put multiplier locks on their chips to stop people from buying a lower priced chip and overclocking it to a higher speed one. Basically they want to make some money.

also in a fsb overclock and a normal overclock for a barton is there a difference performancewise?

Yes and No. Say for example, you get your 2500 up to a 3200 (2.2ghz). 2.2ghz is still 2.2ghz. Granted there's two different ways to go about it. One is to use the stock multiplier (11) and raise the FSB to 200, giving you a 3200 (2.2ghz). If you were able to lower the multiplier to 10, then go for 10x220 (2.2ghz), this type of overclock would be faster then the former one because of the faster bus speed. Not all applications would benefit from the faster bus speed though. Games and multimedia benefit from a faster bus speed, while programs such as distributed computing benefit more from clock speed.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Just asking though; since I'm still a bit lost.

If I get a locked Barton 2500 today, and fsb overclocked it, compared to someone who bought a 2500 barton week 1 and overclocked it. would the performance still be the same? or would he have better?

again, depending on how he overclocked it
if you two overclock ur 2500+'s the same exact way (200x11) then the performance of the two CPU's should be identical
unless he decides to lower his multiplier and up his fsb to over your's , he would achieve greater performance than you would

lower his multiplier and up his fsb to over your's

Is this possible with the locked Bartons? I plan to purchase in a couple of months, so I'm trying to learn up on O/Cing and Hardware. Thanks!

Originally posted by CutandWaste
Is this possible with the locked Bartons? I plan to purchase in a couple of months, so I'm trying to learn up on O/Cing and Hardware. Thanks!

No it wouldn't be possible. When you get a locked CPU, that means you cannot raise or lower the multiplyer although you can still change the FSB. I think thats pretty much standard for all processors.

If I was to overclock my 2500+ barton then to 3200 speeds, having a locked barton, and he was he up his to 3200 speeds using his unlcoked way, what performance difference would there be?

under 10% or over?

what is up with all of these redundant questions?

lets make it clear!!: the higher the FSB, the greater the performance, go it?!?!:eek: :eek: :confused: :mad:

Back