Did my monitor (Acer XB270HU) just die?

supastar1568

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

Long time member here but I don't post as often as I should. I was playing my usual gaming session last night when all of a sudden my Acer XB270HU made a grinding sound for a split second and then cut out. The sound could have come from my PC as it happened so fast.

Since my video card also may be cooked, I plugged in my laptop to the monitor, which picks up the signal, but displays just a black screen with a blue/green/purple bar at the top and a red bar on the left side. I swapped out the DisplayPort cable to make sure it wasn't that and got the same results. I also plugged in the laptop to a different monitor to make sure it wasn't the laptop's video out.

See attached image of the issue.

Happy 4th everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_20160703_171912528_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20160703_171912528_TOP.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 21
Given your troubleshooting....IIt seems fairly certain you're out a monitor. GPU may have bit it as well, but no way of knowing without a known good monitor.

Damn dude, good luck and please keep us updated on how things work out. Hope it works out for you.

OK gang, I narrowed it down to the video card. Here's my troubleshooting:

- I plugged in a different laptop to the monitor and the monitor displayed that image just fine. Perhaps the other monitor I used was older and not necessarily compatible with my XB270HU (maybe that makes sense, maybe it doesn't, but one laptop gave me the image in the OP, and another gave me a working image).
- I bought a new PSU and still didn't get an image from my GPU.
- I plugged in a different GPU and I was able to get an image from it.

Got my GTX 1070 on the way and hopefully I'll be good to go....

My GTX 1070 came yesterday and everything is good to go. My GTX 970 must have died (first time a GPU has died on me) so it went back to MSI for an RMA.

A lesson learned here though... When troubleshooting a display (especially one with G-Sync) try multiple video sources. My first laptop gave me the dead image in the OP (even though the video out worked perfect on another monitor), but a second laptop worked fine.

Back