Did I mess up my video card?

squall78

Limp Gawd
I was running auto-tune on Catalyst and it froze up on me. After this test my FPS in games have gone down considerably, and feel like I'm not getting the max potential out of my video card. I suspect the test screwed it up.... is there any way to test this? Should I run a benchmark to see how bad it's running?

It is a ATI HD4870.

The first thing I would do is uninstall the driver, if you are using Windows other than Win7 use a scrubber then reinstall the driver. I really doubt catalyst is able to damage the card.

Damage to a card will cause crashes or graphical corruption, but it's not going to cause a performance drop.

Did you at least make sure your clocks are back at the defaults?

Ok so I uninstalled my drivers, and installed them again. My speeds are default, but I am failing my tests. I had to dial it back a bit (stock is 750mhz clock, and 900mhz memory) at 725/900.

I'm getting 3dmark to benchmark, are there any demos you guys recommend to run benchmarks?

Last edited:
Does catalyst's auto tune adjust the voltage at all? If it does a lowered voltage could cause you to fail at stock speeds.

I have no idea how to check the voltage, but I haven't used auto-tune since the last time it failed. Since then I reformatted, and only have been underclocking it to get it to pass. Is there a way to check what voltage I have now, and what I'm supposed to be getting?

yes, you messed up so bad you're going to ship me the card in one piece AND pay for the shipping :D

EDIT: bad joke ;\

Back