did i kill my motherboard and cpu?

wooj

Limp Gawd
Long story short, water leaked from my video nozzle fitting on to the motherboard. power was not on at the time. i was testing the loop for leaks. so i tightened the fitting and used a blow drier on the motherboard to dry it.

computer would post then freeze then after awhile computer would reboot but nothing, no post.

so i took the cpu out and found water on the cpu and in the socket.

dried again with blow dryer, reseated cpu... computer keeps rebooting with no bios post.

tried throwing in a different cpu, same thing.

so is it the motherboard thats bad? anyway to fix it :)

thanks

all hope may not be lost. this same thing happened to me. thinking it was over, i threw the board in the closet and bought a new one. then one day i came across it thought i would try it out again. to my surprise it booted up just fine. don't give up hope just yet. make sure it is really dry and try again.

thanks shoota ill give it a try. ill try runnin everything over with swab and alchohol too

let it sit out in the hot sun for a few hours....worked for me.....i live in fla so it was like 85f that day...

also could try some electrical spray cleaner. dries in seconds and works good for me.

ill try the rice and outside sun. if that doesnt work the bake. then trash.

if you put it out on a table for 8 hours of sun,direct hot sun there wont be any moisture on the board...my board was very hot after the sun tan and it worked flawlessly for 3 more years before i gave it to my dad for his internet email computer....i truly believe the rice deal wont work if water is in crevases deep in the board...its kinda like oven baking it but in the sun where temps wont hurt anything..let us know how it works out...what area of the country do you live?

pennsylvania, its humid and hasnt been sunny lately. i did run a fan over the socket for 8 hours and still no life in the socket, the motherboard powers up but cpu doesnt get recognized.

i have two e8400 and a q9550

with no cpu in the socket the motherboard powers on, fans go on etc and stays on
but if i put a cpu in the socket, either one, fans kick on for a couple seconds, then turn off, turn on 2sec, turn off, repeat.

pennsylvania, its humid and hasnt been sunny lately. i did run a fan over the socket for 8 hours and still no life in the socket, the motherboard powers up but cpu doesnt get recognized.

i have two e8400 and a q9550

with no cpu in the socket the motherboard powers on, fans go on etc and stays on
but if i put a cpu in the socket, either one, fans kick on for a couple seconds, then turn off, turn on 2sec, turn off, repeat.

I live in PA as well..its been hot as balls here. 80 degrees last week I think, 70-75 all this week except when it rained.

Maybe you need to let the pins dry/contacts?

ouch this happened to me before but I was using distilled water and let dry out for a full day and all was fine.

if its cold outside park the thing on a heat register and crank up the thermostat

good luck

Reasons like this is why i am scared to try liquid cooling lol

No need for liquid cooling...space, expense, maintenance..not worth it unless you're trying to break some OC record or something. I guess you might need it for triple SLI or Quad-fire...if you've got a mid-range/high computer with a single video card, you probably don't need it. It's just something to make ur comp look cool and brag to your friends about it.

Just wondering, were you able to try the CPU in a diffent mb to see if that still worked properly?

I live in PA as well..its been hot as balls here. 80 degrees last week I think, 70-75 all this week except when it rained.

BTW, Also in PA.. In Pittsburgh it has rained I believe 17 out of the last 20 days. It did not rain yesterday. Although I did have my AC on in the car probably 3 times in the 20 days.

Back