Did i hinder my 3dmark peformance?

Mikey20

Gawd
1. Did i hinder my system by adding another PC2700ram 256mb ram stick to add to 512mb i had? 1x512, 1x256= 768mb VS 1 stick 512mb = 512mb?

2. How big of a difference is lets say 1 stick of PC2700 to a 1 stick PC3200 stick? 333mhz - 400mhz will it really boost performance THAT MUCH?

3. Can someone here elaborate on how to run dual channel ram..my mobo has 4 slots 2 blacks 2 whites. if i want to run dual channel i believe i need 2 sticks with same mb for example 2x 512. but can i just stick them in any slot on my mobo or it has to be set specifically?

4. Ati Radeon 9700 Pro VS nVidia GeForce FX5900nu

5. How do i get 75Hz refresh rate on my 9700pro at 1152x864. It won't accept it goes back to 60Hz. Now in any other res it works fine at 75Hz like 1024x768. Yes, i have installed my specific monitor drivers and Yes, i have done the registry tweak where windows xp sees only 75hz instead of the default lock on 60hz. I use to get this fine on my old FX5600 card why not my 9700pro?

6. Which would give me a BIGGER performance boost? going from a 5400rpm hardrive to a 7200rpm? Or going from DDR333 to DDR400?

Thanks in advance guys!
;)

Not a pro on intel stuff, but I believe that you can run either of the same colored slots in dual channel..so you could essentially have two dual channel setups..you need to have equal memory amounts of memory, but I'd guess they just go in the same colored slots.

1) No

2) A little.

3) If your MB supports dual channel it usually places it on the box or IN THE MANUAL because they throw it around like it makes that much more of a difference when the gains are minimal. We would also need more info such as which MB this is.......in general......give more info.

4) Depends on the games u will be playing.

5) Errr......couldn't tell ya........but i'm gonna go with the RAM.

Sometimes your have to wait more than 15 MINUTES to get a response on the [H]. People have lives.......i myself just got back from shooting pool...... give it a day or so and you'll see more posts.....

To get Dual channel to work on Intel boards you have to have the same size/kind of ram in Slots A1 and B1 or A2 and B2 or A1and2 B1and2.... But you won't be able to take advantage of Dual Channel because though they are both PC2700, they are not both the same size. If you added another 512 stick instead of a 256 of PC2700 you'de see a Big Boost in performance because you would be running dual channel. You probably wont notice much a Difference in adding the 256, but it did'nt hurt you either.

Games i will be playing is counter-strike, ut2k3, BF1942, and Half-life2 now.... 9700pro VS FX5900nu

my mobo is : Biostar P4TSV Micro-ATX Motherboard (1AGP(8x/4x)/3 PCI/1 CNR/4 Dimm slots)(1 PCI/ 2 DIMM Open) with Intel 865 Chipset.

soo basically what im going to do is buy another stick of 512mb PC2700...and sell my 256mb on ebay. but anyone have some inside on how to make it dual channel 512x2 on this mobo...like i said it has 2whites 2 blacks slots.

i guess i will run dual channel PC2700

Ok i know in order to run dual channel my mobo has to support it and also has to be same mb size and same speed PC2700. BUT what about different BRANDS? like a kingston and a samsung mem together?

ahh thank you thats what i needed to know...it must be in the same grouping!

soo running dual 512mb channel i will notice a difference than running single channel?

i mean running dual channel ram instead of single channel like 1x512 + 1x256 VS 2x512

will i really see a BIG performance boost going from a 5400rpm to a 7200rpm sATA harddrive?

Just a posting hint for you.

Use the edit button.

If no one has replied since your last post, and you have something to add, edit into your last post. When you keep posting again and again and again after yourself, you appear to have A.D.D.

And, I'm not ripping on you, just trying to help you out.

According to BioStar

Dual Channel Guidelines
Matched DIMM configuration in each channel
¢w Same Density (128MB, 256MB, 512MB, 1GB, etc.)
¢w Same DRAM technology(128M-bit, 256M-bit, or 512M-bit)
¢w Same DRAM bus width (x8 or x16)
¢w Both either single-sided or dual-sided
Matched in both Channel A and Channel B memory channels
¢w Populate symmetrical memory slots
Optimal platform performance with Dual Channel, DDR400, matched DIMMs
¢w Fully loaded configurations can be single or double sided DIMMs
¢w Lightly loaded configurations need to be double sided DIMMs
When not using DDR400, best performance obtained with
¢w Symmetrical DIMM population and matched double-sided DIMMs
¢w Lightly loaded configuration

Dual Channel Configuration Table DIMM Slot
DDRA1
DDRA2
DDRB1
DDRB2
System Density

Lightly Loaded Config
128MB -- 1GB

128MB -- 1GB

256MB -- 2GB

Lightly Loaded Config

128MB -- 1GB

128MB -- 1GB
256MB -- 2GB

Fully Loaded Config
128MB -- 1GB
128MB -- 1GB
128MB -- 1GB
128MB -- 1GB
512MB -- 4GB

So your memory should go in black slot & black slot or
white slot & white slot.

ahh so in order to run dual channel it CAN"T be in the same grouping as someone told me earlier....it has to be in different....white with white black with black ...not white and black.

http://www.biostar.com.tw/products/mainboard/board.php3?name=P4TSV

im sorry but the table makes no sense to me on how to run dual channel on this motherboard.....white black.....white black how do i setup the 2x512 ram sticks...someone said same grouping other said not in same grouping but same color.... can someone clear it up for me please....from how i understand it is that it has to be in the same color slot for example WHITE-BLUE---WHITE-BLUE i need to put them in same color WHITE------WHITE or BLUE------BLUE not in the same grouping WHITE-BLUE.

I'm not sure of the answer, cause my board has colour coded slots for dual channel. You try just diff slot combinations? The bios should tell you at bootup that you are running dual channel. At least mine does.

The chart is very clear, for dual channel use the DDRA1,DDRB1 or DDRA2,DDRB2. To put it in a way you'll understand, use the same colored slots.

yeah thats what i understood from the chart but wasn't sure because someone here told me they were sure it should be in the same "grouping" but thanks clearing it up.

Back