Did EA Lie About Battlefield 4?

Completely absurd. Bf4 has been virtually fine for virtually all as a percentage of the userbase. Whiners blowing up as usual in a nuclear fashion.... yes, a small amount have crash issues, and yes the occasional minor gameplay bug that annoys for 3 seconds occurs. Welcome to videogames.

EA is the HP of the video game industry.

I suffered through BF4 for a few days, trying to convince myself I was having fun or that "a patch should be released soon to fix this.." but after 2 patches, I uninstalled it.

Investors arent wrong, at least. There's absolutely no way in hell I'll buy another EA game without giving it weeks of release time and checking the respective forums for complaints.

In all seriousness, if it took you this many EA games to conclude that. Well ...

As I have played some BF4 some (and had 2 particular rounds crash on me after the previous round was over and the scores tabulated and recorded so I didn't lose anything progress-wise) I too thought of the situation involving EA/DICE and what could have caused these obviously very public issues between the community and BF4.

When you look through the history of DICE as a company even before EA acquired them and beyond the time EA acquired them you see that DICE has been infamous and notorious for doing 2 things

Excellent post. I can't say I disagree with anything here.

I'm having a great time. Game works fine. Maybe you all should take a better look at your setups.

Some of you declare BF4 runs just fine but you are forgetting the bigger issues in latency and the stupid network slider which is abused in multiplayer.

AKA netcode "sucks" for a multiplayer game. Getting shot through cover or 2 seconds of holding a button and emptying a magazine on your opponent and he kills you with 50+ health (point blank).

In general it is not just EA which has games which are hardly past the beta stage. I can recall Diablo 3 as being somewhat of a beta as well.

The list goes on and on, I blame Bill (W95). ...

Sim city was even more of botched launch. EA is falling apart...

I wouldn't say that Sim City was more screwed up. At least people could play that game after a little bit of time.

Completely absurd. Bf4 has been virtually fine for virtually all as a percentage of the userbase. Whiners blowing up as usual in a nuclear fashion.... yes, a small amount have crash issues, and yes the occasional minor gameplay bug that annoys for 3 seconds occurs. Welcome to videogames.

Just because it works fine for you does NOT mean it works fine for everyone. Game started off screwed up on all platforms and has slowly been getting to be back in a playable. EA has stopped all work on all DLC to get these problems solved. Wouldn't be a need for that if there was zero issues as you claim.

I boycotted EA for the longest time. I feel perfectly justified in not giving two shits about any of their titles.

Some of you declare BF4 runs just fine but you are forgetting the bigger issues in latency and the stupid network slider which is abused in multiplayer.

AKA netcode "sucks" for a multiplayer game. Getting shot through cover or 2 seconds of holding a button and emptying a magazine on your opponent and he kills you with 50+ health (point blank).

In general it is not just EA which has games which are hardly past the beta stage. I can recall Diablo 3 as being somewhat of a beta as well.

True it's annoying. Adds a layer of strategy ;). I assume the shitty net code works both ways. I do hate rounding a corner and dying seconds later.....

This is why you don't buy a game UNTIL it is fixed, not before. As long as people keep rushing to buy this crap on day 1 nothing will change. Has nothing to do with EA, you apply the rule to all companies and all games, no exceptions.

This is why you don't buy a game UNTIL it is fixed,

Then when would we buy a game? As far as I'm concerned, I'm still receiving patches for games that have been released for a couple years already. I guess when the game is $5 bucks buy it? By that time, majority of the competitive community has moved on to the next big unfixed fps. :p

This is why you don't buy a game UNTIL it is fixed, not before. As long as people keep rushing to buy this crap on day 1 nothing will change. Has nothing to do with EA, you apply the rule to all companies and all games, no exceptions.

The problem with this logic is that companies view not buying a game as it being a flop. Good you say, as they deserve it? Not quite. There's a chance it will kill the game series, but the bigger issue is if they view it as a flop, there's no reason to spend time putting out patches for the game.

Like it or not, day one buyers are very important for everyone receiving a quality game in the end. But I agree, it's not just EA who is at fault for putting out bad games. Just look at the PC game forums any time any triple A game is released and you'll see complaints about a horrible game. It's just that EA tends to stick in peoples minds as the all evil company who can never do anything even remotely neutral let alone good while other games eventually get fixed and people forget that they ever had bugs to begin with.

I have the pc version and have not very many problems, once or twice I was dropped mid game and I get disconnected sometimes when trying to join a game, not a big deal, BUT my co-worker who bought a PS4 on launch decided to get bf4 on the ps4, and his story is entirely different. The game would work fine, but every day when he went to fire up bf4 all of his saves were corrupted. And when I did a quick google search, I found out that people are still having the issue. My buddy returned the game and got something else after a week of losing his saves everyday. If I had to put up with that I would be flipping out too.

I have the pc version and have not very many problems, once or twice I was dropped mid game and I get disconnected sometimes when trying to join a game, not a big deal, BUT my co-worker who bought a PS4 on launch decided to get bf4 on the ps4, and his story is entirely different. The game would work fine, but every day when he went to fire up bf4 all of his saves were corrupted. And when I did a quick google search, I found out that people are still having the issue. My buddy returned the game and got something else after a week of losing his saves everyday. If I had to put up with that I would be flipping out too.

Forgetting the BF4 had major issues with the PS4, one thing that's bugged me lately is all the save game corruption. It's not just BF4, and I've seen it be a major issue with the Xbox 360 as well as PS3. Is it something about being lower level that's causing major file IO problems? I don't understand how saving a game could be so problematic on consoles.

As I have played some BF4 some (and had 2 particular rounds crash on me after the previous round was over and the scores tabulated and recorded so I didn't lose anything progress-wise) I too thought of the situation involving EA/DICE and what could have caused these obviously very public issues between the community and BF4.

When you look through the history of DICE as a company even before EA acquired them and beyond the time EA acquired them you see that DICE has been infamous and notorious for doing 2 things with the Battlefield franchise that in my mind leaves them being not as good a development house as some would be lead to believe. You heard me. Here we go:

1. DICE in their history has never, ever, ever released a Battlefield title in a good developmentally stable condition. Ever. Each one has been filled with showstopping bugs, glitches and problems at launch that took about 60 days to fix and get the title stable.

2. DICE with all games has had the same problem upon patching any of their games (including the Mirror's Edge series). They fix everything they want to fix with their patch at that moment but...(and a Costco sized product but here) they tend to break at least 2-3 dozen different things they didn't mean to break while fixing the problem they promised to fix.

So let's break all that down in a John Madden style short summary: So see here first POW! They can't release a developmentally stable game at launch and BOOM! They can't properly patch the game after later.

And all this time, we knew they had these 2 problems with their games throughout their history (or you do now if you read this) and it made us wonder, "when is this finally going to catch up with them and really blow up in their grilles?" Now, it finally has caught up to them and we all can agree on that here.

Some people have said over this situation, gaming industry insiders really but community too, that EA rushed this game to market. In the words of Max Kellerman, "Wrong wrong wrong!" EA/DICE had a release date for BF4 for 7.5 months (mid February 2013 is when we all knew) set in stone. 7.5 months to get this game developmentally stable and they blew it because of various reasons that we are only beginning to discover thanks to the insiders of the industry right now. None of them had to do with the words, "rushing it" when you break it down to the basics of how the game industry really works.

Some people have also said, "If they had 3-9 months more with this game they would've sorted it out." History tells us that's untrue too. Let's go back to Battlefield 3 as the example here. EA/DICE made the claim with BF3 for PC that it was finished about 5-6 months ahead of schedule. Yep, they sure did. Okay then, if it was finished and polished 5-6 months ahead of schedule then what reason did EA/DICE have to 1. release a day one patch at launch that you had to load before you could even be allowed to play the game? And then 2. release 2 more patches on top of that within 2 weeks of launch eh? Again, that's called slacking off development-wise because if the game was truly "completely finished" 5-6 months ahead of time do you really think BF3 would need 3 patches in its first 2 weeks of existence? I think not!

So in closing it's a situation here with BF4 where you'd think with all I typed here that I am very angry, disgruntled and non-plussed about EA/DICE when in all reality I am as calm as a summer's breeze emotionally over this. This is just a poster giving you the facts of the situation so that no longer is anyone possibly confused over this. In turn if you want to be angry fine. If you want to vote EA Worst Company in America again for a 3rd consecutive year do it over the facts like the ones posted here not over an emotional response towards them. As for my vote in that contest, I just ignore such things. That is all. Thanks.
Awesome synopsis, and one that amazes me that so many forget. I say this again and again, but BF games are just awesome experiences when it aren't being a buggy pile of shit. It's hilarious how people point fingers at EA when DICE been doing this shit for YEARS. Now baack to my BF4....

Because it wasn't. Only a minority of gamers hate EA which is evident by the amount of units they sell of every game they make.

Believe it or not folks, the opinions of people here at the [H] are in the minority, and companies could give a fuck what people here think. The sooner the user base here learns that the sooner there will be less people who are disappointed.
agreed...

Sucks to be a consoler. With the PC version, the first week was a bit crazy with crashes every other game, but been great since. It has been perfect for me and crash-free since the last patch, and honestly was never all that bad for me. #lolnextgen

I have not really experienced any issues where my game is unplayable. I am playing the PC version and feel I got my monies worth pre-ordering it. The next sale on Premium and I am going to snag it. The game is still much better than COD Ghost. BF4 may be the most fun game I have played to date. Remember, these are just my opinions.

This^

I've had almost no issues on PC and play often. A few crashes and a few random bugs in many hours of play. Less than I had with BF3.

Sounds like a release game on next gen console having issues. And we are surprised why?

I bought BF4 during the black Friday special, no regrets so far after 20-some hours.

Crashes? yeah a few, but nothing terrible. I can play several rounds on a good server without issue - I manually disconnect to take a break *far* more often than it crashes.

The only thing bugging me is the slow load times, but I have my game running from the slowest partition of my storage drive so that is probably the cause. Once I've played a few rounds and things are cached it loads much faster.

Also, my 7850 lacks the muscle this game really needs for the native res of my monitor (1920x1200) - so I am running with mostly medium settings to maintain a good framerate.

There are a few graphical glitches with distant geometry/shadow flicker, but nothing show stopping.

I've wanted my money back from crap games before so I can understand, but at least this game has a large community to drive the long term support. The bigger the game, the more combinations of hardware it will get to run on - and even more people to shake out the bugs in the code (and more people to complain about them).

Overall? Worth the 25 bucks when I spent it? Yes. It seems like I'm having a better experience than BF2 offered at this phase.

So let me get this straight...

...after EA consumed and destroyed numerous development studios, failed to pay overtime, and overall created a hellish atmosphere for developers to work in, resulting in a whistleblower letter that sent shockwaves through the industry...

...after they pulled their library from Steam because they didn't want to play ball on the pricing and distribution of DLC, when every other major publisher has worked with Valve and has their content on Steam, resulting in the creation of a platform many feel "forced" into using if they want EA games on the PC...

...after they frequently released mediocre game after mediocre game which drew the ire of reviewers and gamers alike for their abuse of franchise names...

...after their CEO made an inflammatory remark regarding the planned abuse of DLC and monetization of simple things such as weapon reloads, as well as the creation of "Project $10" and Day 1 DLC...

...after they attempted massive damage control over the ME3 ending fiasco by using the LGBT community as a shield, as well as taking the negative press and actually using it to sell the game as "the most controversial game this year"...

...after repeatedly using acts of charity and "support" of the LGBT community to deflect actual criticism at times when it reaches it's peak...

...after they botched the release of what might have been potentially the biggest franchise rebirth for the company, Sim City, by using an archaic always-on DRM system and allowing poor design to move forward...

...after they won The Consumerist's "Golden Poo" two years running, many of whom voted on because of the above mentioned items...

...after they were sued for not properly paying royalties to the NCAA...

...the investors are now losing their mind over the sad post-release state of BF4, of which I have heard very little outside the BF community itself complain?

Are you kidding me :confused:

How much damage can you really do to a company's image when it's won Worst Company In America the last two years and released Sim City.

Was this damage supposedly done in terms of proportion of customers that have a negative opinion of EA (because I was under the impression this was near 100% already) or in terms of the degree of negativity of those opinions (of course being the two-time running WCIA, I don't see how further damage would be calculated)?

lol yep EA is one of those companies like Comcast, they simply have a product people want / need but people cannot stand the company, unfortunately they have no other options which is the case for many sports games etc...

EA sells because of their sports franchises.
All too often they're the only game in town.
No one else makes licensed NFL, NCAA, MBL or soccer (I know, football everywhere else in the world and its the biggest sport in the world, just not the US).
Sports fans keep EA afloat.
I got so tired of buying buggy and unplayable EA games a while ago. I now refuse to buy ANY of their games out of principle. I even refuse to buy older EA games when they're on sale on STEAM.
But hey, if people want to keep shelling out $60 a pop to be beta testers for those @ssholes, more power to them.

This is why I became a CQ sniping pro. If I can't manage to kill them with 1 hit (on hardcore) there's no way I can win the fight as the enemy will just kill me in split second unless I kill him on first trigger press. When that works that is.

Non-hardcore servers are totally unplayable as it makes my shots feel even more powerless but the enemy kills me just as easy as in hardcore.

The smartest scenario is to wait a year or more after release and then when the game is finally patched to semi working status, buy it from the bargain discount bucket.

Here's the solution. Don't release BF5 this early instead wait until its closer to Christmas so the game's reputation won't interfere with sales.

This^

I've had almost no issues on PC and play often. A few crashes and a few random bugs in many hours of play. Less than I had with BF3.

Sounds like a release game on next gen console having issues. And we are surprised why?

This isn't a next gen console only issue. All platforms were buggy to start, they just got the PC version fixed faster than the rest.

Sim city was even more of botched launch. EA is falling apart...

I think EA is pushing capable developers to do things that they really don't want to do, and to launch the game before it's ready...

Their reputation was damaged long ago...

Honestly, if you want to stop these horrible beta releases though, it involves those dirty words: government regulation.

This is one of the most warped posts I've seen on this forum. Releasing quality software requires regulation? Really?

Instant reload glitch for UCAV. I'm not going to explain how to do this, but it does work, and turns 1-2 players into a constant swarm of UCAVs making the rush game mode a disaster. This is supposed to take around 20 seconds to reload, not be reloaded by the time your first UCAV hits.
[UCAV]GotToBeKiddingMe, I went 125/43 on a Silk Road / Obliteration last night and it was awesome.

EA destroyed it's own reputation a long time ago. EA's Battlefield BS isn't surprising and just the latest in a long line of cluster fucks that EA's been involved with. I'm normally a day one Battlefield buyer but I wisely skipped this one until it was sorted out. I'm glad I did.

This is one of the pitfalls of a publicly traded company. Investors/shareholders have a very narrow mindset. They want to see a product. It is difficult to be patient with creativity and innovation when money keeps going out and nothing comes in. Most of the time they simply can't wrap their head around the development process/cycle and want very hard set deadlines. Deadlines are great, but in this industry they have to be more broad. This was a clear instance of needing a few more months of polish/testing to fix these launch issues. This remains the only Battlefield game I haven't purchased.

I haven't purchase a new EA title in years, but i did pick up BF 3 on humble bundle for around $1. It was fun, short but fun and it ran without issue. Looks like i will wait for another sale on BF 4, im sure they will have all the bugs fixed by then. :p
Sad state of affairs though, once great games falling to corporate investor pressures and becoming a mere shell of what they used to be.
I fear that Elder Scrolls has fallen victim to the corporate monster as well.
Fricken MMO, can die a horrible death for all i care.

I've had problems with the game, but nothing that has overshadowed my enjoyment of playing. Maybe I'm just older now and so I don't rage as hard as I did when I was younger over bullshit like lag, netcode problems, my ideal K/D ratio being ruined, etc, but the game itself is very fun and engaging.

That said, they absolutely did rush this title to market and EA had to have known it. The sheer volume of game client crashes, server instability problems, balance problems, etc is not possible to have missed in QA especially across five platforms. It's pretty simple. They wanted to beat COD to market, and they did, but at what price? If I was the investors I would be pissed too. No one is going to really care if the game was delayed from October to December, but people absolutely do care if they spend $100 on a game and it's broken for two months. No one wants to pay for beta.

EA sells because of their sports franchises. All too often they're the only game in town. No one else makes licensed NFL, NCAA, MBL or soccer (I know, football everywhere else in the world and its the biggest sport in the world, just not the US). Sports fans keep EA afloat.

Actually there are other companies that make licensed sports games. NBA 2K14 is by far considered a better NBA game than Live, to the point that EA apologized for NBA LIVE14. Pro Evolution Soccer is another licensed game that is competitive but FIFA is still a "better:" game but it's arguable. There is no other football game besides Madden. But what keeps EA afloat is that millions of people buy all of their games. Not just the sports franchises. Apparently you forgot that the SIM's have their own division in EA.

Personally I could give a fluck about EA and just vote with my wallet. It's hilarious how people are blaming EA for DICE's spotty development that has been the case since BF Vietnam and maybe even 1942. Not a single BF game (save for maybe 1942) has been released NOT buggy. BF games can be defined as just amazing experiences when they are not being a buggy pile of shit. What EA sucks at is marketing the game as the best Next Gen shooter out when there are obvious issues with the game.

I buy BF games knowing full well what I am getting into and I find enormous amounts of enjoyment and I spend my time playing the game instead of complaining about bullet lag or hit boxes or some other nonsense. I have heard people complain about netcode and hitboxes for EVERY major FPS that has ever hit the market except for maybe Quake2/3 & UT1,2,2004.

Just saying, I've been playing the PC version since a couple of weeks after launch and I have not had a single problem; though, apparently the problems were much larger on the console side of things. I think EA as the publisher is putting way too much pressure on some great studios as far as release dates go.

Fixed that for you.

Wait..wait wait....After all the shitting EA has done on the Gaming community since 2004 the investers are just NOW convinced they have done damage to the brand? Really? Fucking Really? All that backlash about Origin, All the backlash about telling the modding communities (You know, the groups that actually made BF successful in the first GD place) and they are Just NOW thinking the brand is damaged because of yet another shit launch?....

Wow..just fucking Wow.

No one else makes licensed NFL, NCAA, MBL

Go back and buy older sports titles and game systems, NFL 2K2 on the Dreamcast is better then any of the recent versions of Madden because it actually plays and is paced like a real football game. I am surprised EA hasnt just gone with pay for roaster updates every year yet instead of a new "game" ... Hell if your a PC gamer get an older Madden and MOD it too the latest lineups if you really need to play it on a PC without buying it every year....EA us just like every Fortune 500 company, all about the dollar signs, sales, nothing matters but sale sale sale.

Go back and buy older sports titles and game systems, NFL 2K2 on the Dreamcast is better then any of the recent versions of Madden because it actually plays and is paced like a real football game. I am surprised EA hasnt just gone with pay for roaster updates every year yet instead of a new "game" ... Hell if your a PC gamer get an older Madden and MOD it too the latest lineups if you really need to play it on a PC without buying it every year...

NFL 2KXX series was also really good and the only way EA could stay competitive was signing that deal with the NFL. My previous post was speaking on current games. But yea 2K series as a whole was and still is giving EA sports a run for their money. Funny thing is... EA's biggest sports game is still FIFA. FIFA by itself might outsell all of their other sports properties combined.

When you look through the history of DICE as a company even before EA acquired them and beyond the time EA acquired them you see that DICE has been infamous and notorious for doing 2 things with the Battlefield franchise that in my mind leaves them being not as good a development house as some would be lead to believe. You heard me. Here we go:

1. DICE in their history has never, ever, ever released a Battlefield title in a good developmentally stable condition. Ever. Each one has been filled with showstopping bugs, glitches and problems at launch that took about 60 days to fix and get the title stable.

2. DICE with all games has had the same problem upon patching any of their games (including the Mirror's Edge series). They fix everything they want to fix with their patch at that moment but...(and a Costco sized product but here) they tend to break at least 2-3 dozen different things they didn't mean to break while fixing the problem they promised to fix.

So let's break all that down in a John Madden style short summary: So see here first POW! They can't release a developmentally stable game at launch and BOOM! They can't properly patch the game after later.

And all this time, we knew they had these 2 problems with their games throughout their history (or you do now if you read this) and it made us wonder, "when is this finally going to catch up with them and really blow up in their grilles?" Now, it finally has caught up to them and we all can agree on that here.

Some people have said over this situation, gaming industry insiders really but community too, that EA rushed this game to market. In the words of Max Kellerman, "Wrong wrong wrong!" EA/DICE had a release date for BF4 for 7.5 months (mid February 2013 is when we all knew) set in stone. 7.5 months to get this game developmentally stable and they blew it because of various reasons that we are only beginning to discover thanks to the insiders of the industry right now. None of them had to do with the words, "rushing it" when you break it down to the basics of how the game industry really works.

Some people have also said, "If they had 3-9 months more with this game they would've sorted it out." History tells us that's untrue too. Let's go back to Battlefield 3 as the example here. EA/DICE made the claim with BF3 for PC that it was finished about 5-6 months ahead of schedule. Yep, they sure did. Okay then, if it was finished and polished 5-6 months ahead of schedule then what reason did EA/DICE have to 1. release a day one patch at launch that you had to load before you could even be allowed to play the game? And then 2. release 2 more patches on top of that within 2 weeks of launch eh? Again, that's called slacking off development-wise because if the game was truly "completely finished" 5-6 months ahead of time do you really think BF3 would need 3 patches in its first 2 weeks of existence? I think not!

So in closing it's a situation here with BF4 where you'd think with all I typed here that I am very angry, disgruntled and non-plussed about EA/DICE when in all reality I am as calm as a summer's breeze emotionally over this. This is just a poster giving you the facts of the situation so that no longer is anyone possibly confused over this. In turn if you want to be angry fine. If you want to vote EA Worst Company in America again for a 3rd consecutive year do it over the facts like the ones posted here not over an emotional response towards them. As for my vote in that contest, I just ignore such things. That is all. Thanks.
all i can say is that i agree with your statement. Dice can't code, and the worst part is that EA is rushing them. Frostbite 3 engine is "nice" and all but BF4 is "meh" factor after all the bugs, I'm glad i didn't bought it just like preordered BF3. i own every BF game since 1942 but the things that happening since EA took DICE under it's wings are making matters worse. EA is starting to use Frostbite 3 engine in "all in house" productions, so BF4, NFS Rivals (mediocre game at best) I'm afraid next in line are Dragon Age and next Mass Effect on this engine, they literally spitting the games as fast as they can put new numbers on them.

UPDATE: We have noticed that players who have SLI enabled on their graphics card may experience graphical flickering. Also, we're looking into the issue where the revive bar would get stuck on-screen in some instances. Both of these have our attention, and we're investigating them.

Dec 16 PC Game Update Notes
-Fix for a crash that would cause the game to stall, resulting in a sound loop. This should eliminate most of the problems relating to this.
-Fix for the SUAV (introduced in the China Rising expansion pack) not exploding when hitting enemy soldiers. While these indeed should be deadly, they were never designed for “roadkilling” opponents.
-Fixed one of the issues related to the so-called “Netcode” (see below for details).
-Fix for an issue where 4x the damage from a vehicle's minigun would be applied to the chest when a player had the Defense specialization equipped.
-Fix for player tags not always showing when needed to, resulting in players shooting team members.
-Fix for graphical flickering appearing on terrain.
-Fixed the instance where players suddenly would transition into Spectator Mode while playing the Defuse game mode.
-Fix for a Defuse bug where none of the teams would win a round by letting the timer run out.
-Fix for players getting stuck in the revive screen after being killed.
-Fix for players getting stuck in the kill camera after being revived.
-Fix for the game mode specific ribbons being counted twice in the multiplayer progression.
-Made NVidia 331.82 or later driver versions mandatory for all players.
-Disabled DirectX 11.1 on NVidia cards that have outdated drivers.
-Fixed driver version not being properly detected on NVidia Optimus systems.
-Fixed a minor crash that could occur when bringing up the scoreboard.

“Netcode” improvement
We’ve addressed the so-called “Kill trading”. This refers to when two players fire at each other and, seemingly, both die at the same time. The time window where a bullet could cause damage from an already dead player is now calculated as intended, decreasing the timeframe when players with high latency could get a kill, even though they should be dead according to the server.

Yay, the defuse game mode might actually be playable.

Seriously, the game shouldn't have been allowed to launch with some of those issues, yet apparently they've introduced at least 2 new bugs :rolleyes:

Back