Diamond 5870

equinox654

Gawd
Hey guys, I am going to try to pickup a 5870 local. The only one available is the Diamond version. Seems everyone is avoiding them like the plague. The last thing I bought from them was a 3dfx card.

If I have any problems... I will just bring it back to the store.

Is there any reason not to get get the Diamond branded 5870?

Support, or lack of it. They are notoriously difficult to contact in case you need support (unless you email a specific person), and even when you get someone to answer, your issue will likely not be resolved in a timely manner. Also, requests sent to their ticket system will often go unanswered, based on personal experience and from what I've read on other threads.

Last edited:
This is not the same DIamond that you bought your 3Dfx card from. A company called Best Data bought the name.

I was really wanting one this weekend. I just sold my computer and built an i7 xeon system and took the 4850 out of my tv computer.

Guess I will order a 5850 next day air saver monday and order another 5850 when I get paid again next friday. That would probably be a better buy. Sli 5850s for 520 vs a 5870 for 430 after tax at frys.

Diamond is actually a pretty decent company. My 4870 was a diamond. They have USA based tech support who were extremely helpful when trying to replace my cards cooler. I also read somewhere that they have the lowest defective rate out of all the board partners.

Diamond would be my personal second pick next to XFX.

Looks like frys has the xfx now and they guy told me on the phone this morning that 5850s might be in anytime now but they are either $309 or $319. I dont remember exactly.

Up until XFX partnered up with AMD I had not heard any bad things about Diamond, now all of a sudden people say to stay away from them. I can't help but think most people that are telling others to stay away from diamond have never even used Diamond tech support and just simply like XFX better. Admittedly I haven't owned a Diamond product since my Voodoo 2, but it's just odd that suddenly they're bad after XFX came into the picture.

Up until XFX partnered up with AMD I had not heard any bad things about Diamond, now all of a sudden people say to stay away from them. I can't help but think most people that are telling others to stay away from diamond have never even used Diamond tech support and just simply like XFX better. Admittedly I haven't owned a Diamond product since my Voodoo 2, but it's just odd that suddenly they're bad after XFX came into the picture.

I get that same vibe. I just got my new rig up and running today and I have no complaints about my Diamond 5870.

not really, they have had a bad rep for years, some might remember the edge 3d card. I understand the company has changed hands a couple of time or so but to this day I avoid their products. XFX was a major win for ATI so its often one of the first companies to be recommended instead but a lot of people would say the same about Asus

I don't see it... I've been a member of this forum for years and like I said, there was never such a concensus about Diamond until XFX came around. In fact, I remember the complete opposite. Diamond was actually recommended over most other ATI vendors.

In fact, I'm someone not very happy with XFX support. About a yeare ago I had an 8800GT that would artifact in some games unless I downclocked the memory a bit. I sent it in for RMA and told them exactly how they can duplicate the problem and they would not do it. All they did was test it by playing Crysis said it works fine and sent the card back. After relaying my experiences with their support in a newegg review and on here a couple times, they finally decided to replace the card, but by then it was too late, i had already given the card away to my cousin and got myself something else.

Back