Dial in w/ out expensive hardware?

Carp

Limp Gawd
Hey there!

I've searched hte fourms trying to find out how people can dial into my computer. I see some posts about starting a small ISP.

I was wondering if I need a bunch of hardware to just let 2 or 3 people dial in at once? Any information is appreciated.

Thanks!

-Kevin

Originally posted by Carp
Hey there!

I've searched hte fourms trying to find out how people can dial into my computer. I see some posts about starting a small ISP.

I was wondering if I need a bunch of hardware to just let 2 or 3 people dial in at once? Any information is appreciated.

Thanks!

-Kevin

You'd need one modem and phone line for each person you want connected simultaneously.

After about four to eight phone lines, it gets easier to just have a T1 run to your home, install a phone switch, set up a hunt group, and have each incoming call dropped to one of the voice lines provisioned on the T1. Each would still need to be connected to its own modem, though.

I actually don't even know how to let 1 user dial in. What I want to do is create a small network hosting private web pages, and people can dial in to view them. I want this for info I ned real secure and dont want online.

For just two or three people...all you really need is two or three modems.

While the cheapo SOHO modems are ok for dialing out and are technically capable of taking dialins, 3Com Courier V.Everything modems are preferred for providing dialin service. They're some of the best analog modems money can buy, and fortunately, you can pick them up relatively cheaply on eBay. ;-)

Ok, I will go search for them. But how to I configure Windows 2000 to do what I want? Thanks.

How can I set it up on Windows 2000 Pro with just a standerd 56k modem? what do I have to configure, etc??? Thanks.

Have you considered setting up VPN access? There are several different routes to take, it is secure, it will probably work with your current hardware, and there are no additional service costs for phone lines, etc. if of course you have some sort of broadband already...

I don't have broadband, but the people dialing in dont need to view public webpges, only private ones on the local network. Explain more about this VPN, Virtual Private Network right? I gues that needs broadband,

I don't have broadband, but the people dialing in dont need to view public webpges, only private ones on the local network. Explain more about this VPN, Virtual Private Network right? I gues that needs broadband,

If you had broadband and were to set up a VPN then your clients could connect to your network across the internet through a secure (encrypted) tunnel allowing them to view internal web pages without having to expose them to the internet...

YOU MUST HAVE a modem AND a PHONE LINE for every simultaneous connection that you want to make.

You want the capability for 3 people to be dialed in @ once? you need 3 modems and phone lines.

Set Win2k networking to accept incoming calls and assign each modem a static IP on the subnet that you choose. This would be easier w/ 2k Server but it's possible for 2k pro.

Is there a reason that you don't just build the webpages with security and put them up online? MUCH simpler solution.

Originally posted by batotman
This reaks of terrorism ring....lol.
ROFL

Originally posted by Nate7311
YOU MUST HAVE a modem AND a PHONE LINE for every simultaneous connection that you want to make.

You want the capability for 3 people to be dialed in @ once? you need 3 modems and phone lines.

Set Win2k networking to accept incoming calls and assign each modem a static IP on the subnet that you choose. This would be easier w/ 2k Server but it's possible for 2k pro.

Is there a reason that you don't just build the webpages with security and put them up online? MUCH simpler solution.

ROFL

Yes there is. I DO NOT want to put people SS numbers, address, phone number, etc, etc... online. This is for a business that does taxes and they need all that information SECURE.

Yes there is. I DO NOT want to put people SS numbers, address, phone number, etc, etc... online. This is for a business that does taxes and they need all that information SECURE.

There's this nifty new technology, just came out, it's barely hours old, called "SSL". You might want to look into it.

Ignore the fact that the EFF published a book that described a machine that can crack 128-bit DES3 in near realtime, for under 100,000. Only about 4 or 5 bored 12-year-olds have that kind of money laying around.

Seriously. If you think modems are more secure than SSL, I'd strongly recommend you ask your pusher to start cutting your bags a bit more than they already are.

Originally posted by Chroma
mmmmm wardialers

Almost every telco now has the ability to detect and head off automated wardialing, both sequential and pseudorandom.

Gone are the days (through which I lived) when one could sequentially wardial a set of prefixes. TELENET is long since a memory, and we've entered the age of litigation.

Wardial at your own risk, and pray you've got a security company (and their liability insurance) backing you when the telco calls you on your activities.

Originally posted by Chroma
the mmmm was a passing memory :(

I miss it myself...hearing the clickclickclick of my Atari 300 baud modem dialing one number after another...

*sigh*

I never though of using SSL, I will give it a try, Thanks alot all!

Originally posted by skritch
There's this nifty new technology, just came out, it's barely hours old, called "SSL". You might want to look into it.

Ignore the fact that the EFF published a book that described a machine that can crack 128-bit DES3 in near realtime, for under 100,000. Only about 4 or 5 bored 12-year-olds have that kind of money laying around.

Seriously. If you think modems are more secure than SSL, I'd strongly recommend you ask your pusher to start cutting your bags a bit more than they already are.

Look, there is no room in here for all this thinking inside the box crap, we obviously need to go old school in order to solve this problem... I think the Hollywood term is "Low Tech", what movie was that from, anyone, anyone... :)

Back