Diablo IV - The Real Official Thread

From my own experience:
The Tree of Whispers reward needs a buff. It sometimes drops normal legendaries on T4 and a lvl 70 rogue. I salvage even sacred legendaries so this is really disappointing. 3/10
Nightmare dungeons are so-so. I'm doing lvl 25-30 where I usually don't even need to be careful but they take some 15-20 minutes and still don't reward me well enough. 6/10
World bosses are okay-ish. Mostly doing them because they die fast and I heard they can have some special drops. 7/10
Helltides are the best for grinding legendaries. Especially if you're in a group and spam events. Only one 175 chest gave me 4 legendaries. 9/10
Then there are those zone events where you get to kill a bunch of mobs and some bosses. They are rather bad as I rarely get a legendary. Maybe my luck but still. 2/10

None here, and I teleport a lot lol. I do get very minor but noticeable frame rate dips here and there though.

Side note: I respec’d my lightning sorc a bit focusing on cooldowns and switched to gear that boosted cooldowns and ultimate damage. I can now use unstable currents the majority of the time and do a lot more damage while it’s active. TW3 has been a cakewalk since. Still not ready to solo the next capstone dungeon at level 61 however lol, just figured that out.
can you share your gear plus skill tree

From my own experience:
The Tree of Whispers reward needs a buff. It sometimes drops normal legendaries on T4 and a lvl 70 rogue. I salvage even sacred legendaries so this is really disappointing. 3/10
Nightmare dungeons are so-so. I'm doing lvl 25-30 where I usually don't even need to be careful but they take some 15-20 minutes and still don't reward me well enough. 6/10
World bosses are okay-ish. Mostly doing them because they die fast and I heard they can have some special drops. 7/10
Helltides are the best for grinding legendaries. Especially if you're in a group and spam events. Only one 175 chest gave me 4 legendaries. 9/10
Then there are those zone events where you get to kill a bunch of mobs and some bosses. They are rather bad as I rarely get a legendary. Maybe my luck but still. 2/10
Hell Tide World Boss FTW

I know this is considered blasphemy, but how does it play with an Xbox controller?

I could see myself playing a lot more if I just turn my "brain" off and have a show playing on the secondary display....

I know this is considered blasphemy, but how does it play with an Xbox controller?

I could see myself playing a lot more if I just turn my "brain" off and have a show playing on the secondary display....
It's not blasphemy, a lot of people use controllers. I play 99% on my PC but got it for my wife on our Series X and the only issue isn't gameplay itself but just navigating communication and menus. It's a nearly impossible task to adapt games like this to a controller but I feel they did pretty damn well, particularly with a shared screen.

I could see myself playing a lot more if I just turn my "brain" off and have a show playing on the secondary
I was forced to switch to a controller after falling and dislocating the shoulder of my mouse arm. Prior to the injury I never would've contemplated playing with a controller. After spending an hour or two adapting I prefer the controller for my tornado Druid. Finished the story from chapter 2 onwards on hardcore without any issues. Navigating the UI isn't as intuitive as a mouse but it's definitely serviceable.

It's worth a shot so I'd say give it a try and give yourself a little time to adapt.

So, there's either an exploit, or one class is overly imbalanced. I was just in a WT4 legion fight, and one person (level 80) was one shotting everything, including the boss. Now, I have nearly perfect gear for my sorceress, and can't even remotely get one bar per hit, let alone one shot a boss, let alone one shot a boss that has hp buffed by 8 players.

I don't play D4 with a controller but I played quite a bit D3 on PS4/5. It worked so well that I considered getting D4 on PS5. And I heard it plays better than D3 with a controller.
It's a different playstyle though. On PC you click around to move your character, with a controller you control your characters movements directly with a stick.
I think both work great but of course give edge to PC for the UI navigation part.

Since I do nothing at work, I took my laptop and hunted all Lilith Statues and completed every zone so I get full benefits.
Paragon points made a MASSIVE change in my rogue damage. Also the extra skill points and statues did help newly made characters. I think lvl 1 gets something like 10 skill points from the start, not to mention +66 bonus in every stat.

To add, one thing is controller makes it hard to kite, which you need to do a lot in this game. Some ARPG games implemented a system that offers free aiming with the right stick to try and help with that, like Titan Quest, but Diablo IV doesn't have that option.

Plays fine...at least for me. While I have it on PC, I also picked up for Series X as its cross play and cross progression. Can't sit at a computer like I used to anymore and grinding dungeons on the couch is much better for my back at times. Hot take, but I prefer navigating with a controller stick then click/dragging the mouse cursor around the screen and all the action buttons are right there and easy to click/hit (not that its hard on a keyboard).

Blood Surge necro is pretty fun and effective, but I gotta say necro with no summons kinda kills the class fantasy.

Enjoying screen clearing things 1.5 screens away nevertheless and I'm nearly unkillable.

Blood Surge necro is pretty fun and effective, but I gotta say necro with no summons kinda kills the class fantasy.

Enjoying screen clearing things 1.5 screens away nevertheless and I'm nearly unkillable.
Been using a Skelly Mage build and so far having a blast! Now im just stuck on the leveling grind right now. Been doing Tier 29-32 keys for EXP to level. Hoping to get 80 today.

Necro's do need some love though imo. Just need a way to direct the damn skelly army to attack what I am attacking.

I have it for PC and Series X and I now use a controller on both. I find it more fun and better in everyway I've had to use it. Mouse is a bit quicker when navigating menus but that doesn't really matter to me. I haven't had to kite anything and I don't do any chatting nor do I use any of the communication features so I can't comment on those aspect yet.

Finally, every quest completed! And I've collected every PvP reward except for the title. Have to be able to kill 10 unique individuals for that, and I'm not much of a PvP player.

Been using a Skelly Mage build and so far having a blast! Now im just stuck on the leveling grind right now. Been doing Tier 29-32 keys for EXP to level. Hoping to get 80 today.

Necro's do need some love though imo. Just need a way to direct the damn skelly army to attack what I am attacking.

Are you using the ring of mandelin or whatever it's called?

Finally, every quest completed! And I've collected every PvP reward except for the title. Have to be able to kill 10 unique individuals for that, and I'm not much of a PvP player.

Bruh

Like every side quest??

Are you using the ring of mandelin or whatever it's called?

Bruh

Like every side quest??
Yap, I just got a 798 item power version yesterday. Fantastic ring. Specially if you bring up your lucky chance.

I personally like the solo Necro. Using a bonespear/spirit hybrid build. Loads of fun and it obliterates the Butcher.

I've been thinking about playing a 2h sword/scythe necro. Good to know there is not just one but at least two good alternatives.
Not a big fan of a ton of weapons hanging on the barbarian.

That's actually pretty bad news. Diablo 4 is nothing like previous Diablo games.
I was expecting the story and the game to move forward with new expansions and seasons just being something that shakes things up a bit and brings somewhat big patches with new cosmetic pass etc etc etc, but not new zones and end bosses/videos like big expansions. Something like WoW just in Diablo universe.
If they don't do that then I will be massively disappointed.

In D3 we had sets and sets changed the gameplay. This does not exist in D4.
They will just force us do what we're doing now, repeating content, just from a lvl 1 character. It sounds lame as there most likely won't be any difference except new battle pass.
And they better NOT reset the fucking fog of war because I don't want to do that again.

Last edited:
They will just force us do what we're doing now, repeating content, just from a lvl 1 character. It sounds lame as there most likely won't be any difference except new battle pass.
And they better NOT reset the fucking fog of war because I don't want to do that again.
That’s why I tend to play the crap out of Diablo at first but end up getting bored and quitting just due to doing the exact same things over and over and over. And since it requires a new character I’d assume it means the fog of war will be reset.

This isn't news. It works the same way in Diablo II and Diablo III.
I never did any battle pass stuff in D2:R and never played 3 so it’s news to me. I still don’t know what to expect out the battle pass exactly, but I didn’t expect any current build to be excluded from the content.

That’s why I tend to play the crap out of Diablo at first but end up getting bored and quitting just due to doing the exact same things over and over and over. And since it requires a new character I’d assume it means the fog of war will be reset.

I never did any battle pass stuff in D2:R and never played 3 so it’s news to me. I still don’t know what to expect out the battle pass exactly, but I didn’t expect any current build to be excluded from the content.
It's not so bad. I typically don't participate in the seasons and continue to play my standard character as the season content has historically been rolled into standard when the season ends.

Yup, they will likely have item sets and runewords at some point. Either as an expansion or as part of the seasonal content in order to keep the live service money flowing in.

That's actually pretty bad news. Diablo 4 is nothing like previous Diablo games.
I was expecting the story and the game to move forward with new expansions and seasons just being something that shakes things up a bit and brings somewhat big patches with new cosmetic pass etc etc etc, but not new zones and end bosses/videos like big expansions. Something like WoW just in Diablo universe.
If they don't do that then I will be massively disappointed.

In D3 we had sets and sets changed the gameplay. This does not exist in D4.
New mechanics and content are being added to seasons in D4, in what I imagine is similar to how Path of Exile does it. Blizzard hasn't gone into detail on what that means, but it isn't as simple as D2 where you just played through the campaign again to race up the ladder.

You must have missed the June 16 post where I listed the key takeaways from the campfire chat. The fog of war will not be there after season 1, and you will not need to collect the Altars of Lilith for their bonuses more than once.

There is no battle pass in D2R. Seasons in both D2 and D2R force you to start with a fresh character, as does D3. Having it work the same way in D4 is not unexpected, nor should it be. The whole point of seasons is to start fresh.

New mechanics and content are being added to seasons in D4, in what I imagine is similar to how Path of Exile does it. Blizzard hasn't gone into detail on what that means, but it isn't as simple as D2 where you just played through the campaign again to race up the ladder.

You must have missed the June 16 post where I listed the key takeaways from the campfire chat. The fog of war will not be there after season 1, and you will not need to collect the Altars of Lilith for their bonuses more than once.

There is no battle pass in D2R. Seasons in both D2 and D2R force you to start with a fresh character, as does D3. Having it work the same way in D4 is not unexpected, nor should it be. The whole point of seasons is to start fresh.

Missed completely that the fog of war will not reset. Good. But I'm still not very happy about the game just resetting.

I was expecting a MMO in Diablo universe, with each season bringing some minor/medium sized changes and new battle pass and big expansions bringing new continents, classes, world bosses, levels, items etc (not necessarilly all of those at the same time).
The battle pass will make or break the game for me.

Another issue is itemization. At level 65 I got a 813 bow. After doing some research that's almost top tier. People have rarely seen something over 830. I've seen lvl 90s with worse weapons. So I probably won't get a better weapon this season.

Missed completely that the fog of war will not reset. Good. But I'm still not very happy about the game just resetting.

I was expecting a MMO in Diablo universe, with each season bringing some minor/medium sized changes and new battle pass and big expansions bringing new continents, classes, world bosses, levels, items etc (not necessarilly all of those at the same time).
The battle pass will make or break the game for me.

Another issue is itemization. At level 65 I got a 813 bow. After doing some research that's almost top tier. People have rarely seen something over 830. I've seen lvl 90s with worse weapons. So I probably won't get a better weapon this season.
It was never advertised or marketed as a MMO.

Item power doesn't matter. The affixes on the items are what matter.

Haven’t played since D3 around release. Picked up D4 recently…

Playing through solo, does anyone have advice? Starting class? Skills? Is there a reliable website to help with builds?

I desperately hope they don't add set items into D4.

That felt so stupid trying to bother planning any build when you can slap on a few set items and a ring of grandeur....then.. BOOM! You now do 40,000x dmg. That was just dumb

Playing through solo, does anyone have advice? Starting class? Skills? Is there a reliable website to help with builds?
For your skills you generally want to pick one skill from each section as you progress down the tree to focus on. Supplement them with passives that complement those skills. Respeccing is cheap through the level 50 milestone, so don't be afraid to experiment. I'd avoid build guides your first time because they are meant for meta gameplay, not for fun.

Picking a class to start with is just basically picking an archetype for the gameplay style you are most comfortable with.

My general advice is to play at your own pace. You'll read a lot of people saying to rush through the campaign before doing anything else since the world stops scaling at level 50 until you unlock World Tier 3, but I feel that can ruin the experience on your first playthrough. On subsequent playthroughs I would focus on finishing the campaign first.

I desperately hope they don't add set items into D4.

That felt so stupid trying to bother planning any build when you can slap on a few set items and a ring of grandeur....then.. BOOM! You now do 40,000x dmg. That was just dumb
You can do set items without crazy damage modifiers, like they were in D2 for instance.

And yes I agree D3 kinda went crazy with the power creep.

Last edited:

Just enjoy the game and do not try to overthink. It can be overwhelming of the variety of items and customizations. Literally, I am enjoying the graphics and music every time I play this game.

Last edited:
Back