Diablo IV - The Real Official Thread

I've noticed teenagers not being interested in Diablo.

My two kids are 15 and 13 and grew up PC Gaming thanks to me, no consoles in our house.

Built them each their own gaming rigs three years ago, with RTX 3070's video cards, and AMD chipsets. Before then they used my Wife's computer or mine.

Anyways I got my 15 year old daughter into WoW back like 5 or 6 years ago, and she likes the game, but is super casual, only plays when a new content patch is released.

Had her try out Diablo during the free beta, she liked it ok didn't love it. Had no interest in me buying the game for her.

She mostly play Roblox or some other similar type games.

My 13 year old son, tried to get him into WoW and that game is just isn't his cup of tea. He plays Fornite and Battlefield 5 and his fav game is War Thunder. He hates Call of Duty which is great :). He's a Battlefield player but War Thunder is is thing.

Tried to get him into Diablo and he had zero interest none at all

I asked both them to ask their friends and kids at school about Diablo 4. They both said most high school kids only vaguely heard of it, no one they know of plays it.

I know this is off topic and means nothing, just interesting.

I hit 89 last night with my BL sorc. Finished my season unlocks, and I'm working on farming mats to hunt for some uniques to really take my build to the next level

I'm loving how smooth and powerful BL is. I hope every class gets a build like this to really make the game fun. Helltides are awesome zootin around exploding packs like nothing.

I think this will be my first level 100 character

Times change and so do you. Things you wouldn't dare ask about Diablo when you were younger you do now. On top of that, its a different generation of people playing this. They just do not play well with others.

Finally, Diablo 4 has less of a soul than the others.
Right. I am 48 years old and this new generation is content with no human interaction. It is sad the way society went. Seems that the isolated nature of tech left it's imprint in the social part of the brain on the young kids. I am so glad I was 18 in 1993. Had a blast. Can't wait to leave this planet and go to the stars.

And honestly? I personally think D4 is boring af. I play D2R a lot and the new game just blows to me. Ah well. Might get around to building a retro PC and living my 80s and 90s years of pc gaming again. Enjoy!

Is that true? 1080[ and 4l seeing the same visible in game area? because of 16:9 aspect ratio? Where as Ultrawide does 21:9 or more depending on the resolution. I really liked the 38" monitor size, but there's no OLED versions, so I went 34" with the AW3423DW, and holy cow OLED is pure bliss could never go back to non OLED
Yes, it's fixed. It's the only game I know of (or at least only one of the games I play) that doesn't offer more viewable area without changing aspect ratio. Undoubtedly this is due to the console emphasis (I mean, look at the dog shit UI for confirmation) and likely to improve performance, reduce visible pop-in, etc

Yes, it's fixed. It's the only game I know of (or at least only one of the games I play) that doesn't offer more viewable area without changing aspect ratio. Undoubtedly this is due to the console emphasis (I mean, look at the dog shit UI for confirmation) and likely to improve performance, reduce visible pop-in, etc

That's crazy. Can this be fixed via a patch?

And does World of Warcraft do 4k properly? It's not just blown up 1080p is it?

The biggest problem I have with D4 is that I feel like it's right on the edge of being fun. We all know it can be done, it really wouldn't take much, unfortunately they'd have to admit that there were a lot of things they fucked up, most things not too bad but it adds up quick. One of the major fuck ups they've been working on (leveling/pacing) but I haven't heard anything about fixing the item and loot system which is pretty fucking vital to the core of the game.

That's crazy. Can this be fixed via a patch?

And does World of Warcraft do 4k properly? It's not just blown up 1080p is it?
The only patch available is to buy a non-16:9 monitor, unfortunately. I wouldn't expect them to change this at any point in D4's life.

I've never played World of Warcraft so I can't comment on that but a quick youtube search should make any differences apparent if you search something like "WoW 1080p vs 4k"

The entire visuals are boring and dim. Red and gray and brown all over. It looks like shit to me. Completely depressing. Everything in the game including items and character appearance just looks drab and dull.

Why would it? 1080p and 4k have the same camera shape. The field of view is the same angle.

A degree doesn't stop being the same amount as a degree just because there's more pixels.

The entire visuals are boring and dim. Red and gray and brown all over. It looks like shit to me. Completely depressing. Everything in the game including items and character appearance just looks drab and dull.
Of course it is, don't you remember the hate that color brought last time? I really wonder is anyone actually stroked out after the screenshot reveal that had a rainbow (the cliffs where you first meet the Goatmen).

I have a lot of criticisms about D4, on this one I kind of disagree. But even if you hold your position, you have to recognize that Blizzard can't win here.

When D3 came out, everyone complained it was too colorful and "too bright" and they wanted something dark and moody akin to D1/D2. And now D4 comes out and there are people like you complaining that it's too monochromatic and dull. I would probably describe it as going back to its horror roots and for the most part being successful there.

Aesthetics I would say is one of the things that D4 has gotten right. The artists at Blizzard and their standards for visuals came through. As did things like monster families and design.
It's just the gameplay is lacking. I'd say it's all great visuals without enough underlying it.

So, I was on reddit a couple days ago, and got into an argument about Uber Lilith, and mechanics. One person stated how anyone could learn the fight. I looked at their video, then decided to get some more in depth testing.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjOTxkJFu4A

The difference between survival and death is a grand total of one second. That is, from the very second the waves spawn, you have to recognize the pattern and react, and get by the waves, all under that one second. To make matters worse, latency comes into play. A player with a 20ms ping will have 0.98 seconds to respond, whereas a player with a 150ms ping will have 0.85 seconds to respond. That extra time can be the difference between the fight being reasonable, to being near impossible.

Now, consider other hard games.

First off, NES Hard. Ghosts N Goblins. Pretty much everyone agrees that this is an incredibly difficult game. Yet, you get roughly 3 seconds on average that the monsters are on the screen before they reach you. While you have to be incredibly precise, this means you have time to prepare.

Or Guitar Hero 3, Through the Fire and Flames on Expert difficulty. You have roughly 1.5 seconds here. This is 50% longer than you're given with Uber Lilith. When you throw lag into the equation, it can be nearly 100% longer.

The time you have to react with lag is roughly that of Mike Tyson in Mike Tyson's Punchout, which is also considered one of the hardest games on the NES because of the last fight. But one difference there is you just have to press a button to react, and the game handles the rest. Here, you have to actually move your character to the correct position on the screen.

Remember that. When people say that anyone can learn the fight, the difference in ping can be facing Bald Bull vs facing Mike Tyson in Punch Out. It would be nice if people who said you can beat this fight without cheesing it displayed their ping when they post videos of countering attacks.

At first I thought the visual style was cool too, but then after playing it for awhile all the terrain kind of blends together and nothing feels like it stands out from one zone to the next, there's almost an overarching washed out feeling it. I actually just uninstalled the game, got way too repetitive around level 70-80 and felt like more of a task than fun.

Why would it? 1080p and 4k have the same camera shape. The field of view is the same angle.

A degree doesn't stop being the same amount as a degree just because there's more pixels.
No shit.

But game engines often scale based off the resolution. Strategy games especially are notable for this but even Diablo 3 offered more viewable area with higher resolution.

No shit.

But game engines often scale based off the resolution. Strategy games especially are notable for this but even Diablo 3 offered more viewable area with higher resolution.

Maybe strategy games in 1995 running on 2D DirectDraw. Only aspect ratio matters for a 3D perspective camera.

320x180 will have the same field of view as 3840x2160.

So, I was on reddit a couple days ago, and got into an argument about Uber Lilith, and mechanics. One person stated how anyone could learn the fight. I looked at their video, then decided to get some more in depth testing.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjOTxkJFu4A

The difference between survival and death is a grand total of one second. That is, from the very second the waves spawn, you have to recognize the pattern and react, and get by the waves, all under that one second. To make matters worse, latency comes into play. A player with a 20ms ping will have 0.98 seconds to respond, whereas a player with a 150ms ping will have 0.85 seconds to respond. That extra time can be the difference between the fight being reasonable, to being near impossible.

Now, consider other hard games.

First off, NES Hard. Ghosts N Goblins. Pretty much everyone agrees that this is an incredibly difficult game. Yet, you get roughly 3 seconds on average that the monsters are on the screen before they reach you. While you have to be incredibly precise, this means you have time to prepare.

Or Guitar Hero 3, Through the Fire and Flames on Expert difficulty. You have roughly 1.5 seconds here. This is 50% longer than you're given with Uber Lilith. When you throw lag into the equation, it can be nearly 100% longer.

The time you have to react with lag is roughly that of Mike Tyson in Mike Tyson's Punchout, which is also considered one of the hardest games on the NES because of the last fight. But one difference there is you just have to press a button to react, and the game handles the rest. Here, you have to actually move your character to the correct position on the screen.

Remember that. When people say that anyone can learn the fight, the difference in ping can be facing Bald Bull vs facing Mike Tyson in Punch Out. It would be nice if people who said you can beat this fight without cheesing it displayed their ping when they post videos of countering attacks.

Yeah I was looking forward to fighting her since eI have an actual powerhouse build and hit level 90. Was feeling confident. And I got her down to like half health, then those wave things came and instagibbed me. No matter how I teleport or dodge, I can't seem to survive those things. Impossible. I guess I just need to get even stronger and burn her down before those spawn.

Yeah I was looking forward to fighting her since eI have an actual powerhouse build and hit level 90. Was feeling confident. And I got her down to like half health, then those wave things came and instagibbed me. No matter how I teleport or dodge, I can't seem to survive those things. Impossible. I guess I just need to get even stronger and burn her down before those spawn.
In the previous season, you could actually build yourself to go full out survivability and survive the waves. And while I can't confirm this as true (since I can't see the number), apparently Blizzard buffed the damage to be some ridiculous number like 2 billion damage, so that you can no longer do that. Even if you go the busted Broken Heart of Selig invincible Barbarian, it will still kill you.

The bottom line is you either need a low ping to be able to react appropriately, or you need a busted build which you can cheese Lilith and kill her before she spawns her mechanics.

This is just a badly designed fight.

Lol I tried on my lvl 100 barb and was 1-shot. Nope'd out of that fight, I'll pass.

This is just a badly designed fight.

Couldn't agree more.

I have a lot of criticisms about D4, on this one I kind of disagree. But even if you hold your position, you have to recognize that Blizzard can't win here.

When D3 came out, everyone complained it was too colorful and "too bright" and they wanted something dark and moody akin to D1/D2. And now D4 comes out and there are people like you complaining that it's too monochromatic and dull. I would probably describe it as going back to its horror roots and for the most part being successful there.

Aesthetics I would say is one of the things that D4 has gotten right. The artists at Blizzard and their standards for visuals came through. As did things like monster families and design.
It's just the gameplay is lacking. I'd say it's all great visuals without enough underlying it.

I think it's wroth pointing out that D3 was not too 'bright', it was too 'cartoony'. The complaints weren't the color or lack thereof, but the exaggerated/unrealistic proportions, animations, and particle effects. It did not help that it took a lot of style cues from WoW. D4 looks much better, but it is also badly washed out in places, at least in part because of a poor HDR implementation.

As far as actual gameplay, I'm with pretty much everyone else. It was great until about level 40, but there's not much to hold my interest past that point (and I got there in act 1...). Too many design flaws were carried over from D3.

I think it's wroth pointing out that D3 was not too 'bright', it was too 'cartoony'. The complaints weren't the color or lack thereof, but the exaggerated/unrealistic proportions, animations, and particle effects. It did not help that it took a lot of style cues from WoW. D4 looks much better, but it is also badly washed out in places, at least in part because of a poor HDR implementation.

As far as actual gameplay, I'm with pretty much everyone else. It was great until about level 40, but there's not much to hold my interest past that point (and I got there in act 1...). Too many design flaws were carried over from D3.
I’ll simply say it depends on who you ask. Being bright and colorful were both definitely criticisms of D3’s aesthetics.

EDIT: there is even an entire wiki about it apparently: https://www.diablowiki.net/Art_controversy
The art controversy of Diablo III started with WWI 2008, when a considerable number of Diablo fans found the colour of Diablo 3's palette as initially revealed to be "too colourful". Many fans referenced the bright colors and tinted lightning so common in World of Warcraft and felt Diablo 3 was reminiscent of that and "too cartoonish."

Emphasis, mine.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if any of you talking about the game looking washed out have played it on consoles or just PC? When I play on the PC, irrelevant of the screen I'm using the game looks washed out, that's with HDR turned off (it's worse with it on). When I play on the console it looks much better, the blacks are black and the colors are a lot sharper. I think there's something going on with the PC version outside of just the bad HDR causing the washout effect.

I'm wondering if any of you talking about the game looking washed out have played it on consoles or just PC? When I play on the PC, irrelevant of the screen I'm using the game looks washed out, that's with HDR turned off (it's worse with it on). When I play on the console it looks much better, the blacks are black and the colors are a lot sharper. I think there's something going on with the PC version outside of just the bad HDR causing the washout effect.
I don't think it looks washed out. It looks exactly the same on my Series X and PC.

Do you have HDR turned on in your desktop, with it just turned off in game, or do you have HDR turned off completely (both in game and on your desktop)? I know I tend to get washed out when I have it on with the desktop, and off i games. But as with Armenius, it looks the same to me on my computer and PS5.

Do you have HDR turned on in your desktop, with it just turned off in game, or do you have HDR turned off completely (both in game and on your desktop)? I know I tend to get washed out when I have it on with the desktop, and off i games. But as with Armenius, it looks the same to me on my computer and PS5.
Turned off completely. I don't have that problem with anything else so I just figured it was D4 being weird.

Last edited:
I leeched an Uber Lilith kill last night. The HOTA barb is crazy powerful this season. Just shouting and boom 1 attack and she was dead. Awesome. Maybe I'll build one next season

I'm 99 now, so close to 100. Not sure why my BL sorc seems to suck compared to others. I guess AI need to run more duriel and really fine tune my gear. I want to be able to run a T90 nmd solo. I'm using Don's build. But I think it may be too squishy for that, I probably need to farm the gear for the maxroll hardcore guide to do what I want. Could also be an issue with my glyphs. I still have one (adept) that's not level 15, and none are 21 yet.

I leeched an Uber Lilith kill last night. The HOTA barb is crazy powerful this season. Just shouting and boom 1 attack and she was dead. Awesome. Maybe I'll build one next season

I'm 99 now, so close to 100. Not sure why my BL sorc seems to suck compared to others. I guess AI need to run more duriel and really fine tune my gear. I want to be able to run a T90 nmd solo. I'm using Don's build. But I think it may be too squishy for that, I probably need to farm the gear for the maxroll hardcore guide to do what I want. Could also be an issue with my glyphs. I still have one (adept) that's not level 15, and none are 21 yet.
For BL, you want +armor on everything you can get it on. For damage, you'll want Esu's Heirloom (boots) and Tibault's Will (pants).

As a demonstration, I'm just using my own build, not any from guides. No vulnerability damage, no CC effects. Here's my run of a NM100 Ghoa Ruins in 1:07.

View: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1982557332

Uber Lilith is a bullshit fight, but fortunately offers nothing besides e-peen achievement.
I killed her with my lvl 100 Ball Lightning sorc, but even then it took some 30 tries (not optimized BL spec, but close). Wouldn't want to do it any other way.

Uber Lilith is a bullshit fight, but fortunately offers nothing besides e-peen achievement.
I killed her with my lvl 100 Ball Lightning sorc, but even then it took some 30 tries (not optimized BL spec, but close). Wouldn't want to do it any other way.
I wanted (and completed) all the possible in game achievements, so I had to kill her in HC, and didn't have the option of 30 attempts. Basically you'll want Esu's Heirloom & Tibault's Will along with 13k dps, and can pretty much guarantee to skip all the mechanics. But it's still a stupid fight.

I checked this out over the weekend via the free weekend on Steam. Put maybe 2 hours into it, a good chunk of that watching the cinematics, before I uninstalled. That FOV is obnoxious and it really didn't feel like an actual Diablo game but more like a knock off IMO.

I checked this out over the weekend via the free weekend on Steam. Put maybe 2 hours into it, a good chunk of that watching the cinematics, before I uninstalled. That FOV is obnoxious and it really didn't feel like an actual Diablo game but more like a knock off IMO.
The gameplay isn't far removed from Diablo III.

I think the FOV is what really messes it up for me because I always liked to play a sorcerer. It seemed really pointless when you can't see much further than melee range.
I run Diablo 4 in 27:9 AR. Really enhances the view. Better than the shitty default zoomed in view. Sorry for the out of focus pic but you can see it is more zoomed out in that AR. I shut off my speakers RGB for the 2nd pic.

Attachments

• 20231129_001302.jpg
    20231129_001302.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20231129_001803.jpg
    20231129_001803.jpg
    452.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Thank you for that- I didn't think to try 16x10 aspect ratio to get better range. I'll try it tomorrow!

I run Diablo 4 in 27:9 AR. Really enhances the view. Better than the shitty default zoomed in view. Sorry for the out of focus pic but you can see it is more zoomed out in that AR. I shut off my speakers RGB for the 2nd pic.

How did you get that to work??

If I select anything outside my aspect ratio, it forces me to Windowed Mode....

Back