Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

So I'm not sure how common it is, or if the system looks at your current gear at all when determining drops, but last night on my only rift of the evening I found a third piece of the Thorns of the Invoker set (in this case it was the gloves) off the T1 rift boss (profile).

Oddly enough, when I found the shoulders for the set it was also off my first rift boss of the day, and I already had the helm for the set. The helm was the first piece I found in campaign mode during Act 2.

I hear people talk about finding the same Blackthorne's pieces all the time but I'm curious if the system will skew results toward another set piece if you have one of the Torment-only sets. If not then I've been extremely lucky to get these 3 pieces in succession, and also happy because I was trying to build a block/thorns build anyway. Now I just need the last piece or a Ring of Royal Grandeur. A1 bounties here I come!

Unfortunately I gave it to him after I already enchanted it, if I could change the Arcane damage to Lightning now I would. It might be a locked stat though like the fire damage on Magefist gauntlets.

I don't think you can change that stat, I tired to change it for my Crusader and it wouldn't let me, only the other three stats were re-rollable.

How is the WD considered Fast Farming?

I play all 5 characters and for me its like this.

DH and Monk tie for first
Barb
Wizard
WD
Crusader.

Rift farming as a WD? Piece of cake, on T1 I can just spread my locust and that alone kills everything in 2-3 ticks. With Grave Injustice passive I basically have 99% uptime on my Spirit Walk. I just sprint through diseasing everything until the Rift boss shows up then it's slam time with spirit barrage and haunt, boss melts in 10 seconds or less.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/SupremeAim-1324/hero/12445715

LOL RNG. It's algorithms (with some RNG). Go smart loot. I'm rolling the stats I want for most things far (Nat's slayer, nat's chest, cain's pants, cain's gloves, royal ring). If RNG was the only factor, then there's no way I can farm what I want in such a short time.

I decided I wanted to make a "fire" build yesterday.

First I rolled an ammy until I got fire%, then I played with fire abilities. I got a cindercoat fire damage 18%, fire reduction cost 38%. I rolled 2 slots, will try for 3 later. I played some more, though would be nice if a magefist dropped. Magefist. I rolled a cost reduction (will re-roll to cc). I also got a balefire 1 hand bow (with fire damage).

It reads 800k dps, 1200 ar (will use diamonds to fix that). BUT it does fire damage so I still crit 2.5-2.8 mil. I can now fire 5 cluster shots, opposed to 3 and recharge quicker. I just need to figure survivability.

Last edited:
LOL RNG. It's algorithms (with some RNG). Go smart loot. I'm rolling the stats I want for most things far (Nat's slayer, nat's chest, cain's pants, cain's gloves, royal ring). If RNG was the only factor, then there's no way I can farm what I want in such a short time.

I decided I wanted to make a "fire" build yesterday.

First I rolled an ammy until I got fire%, then I played with fire abilities. I got a cindercoat fire damage 18%, fire reduction cost 38%. I rolled 2 slots, will try for 3 later. I played some more, though would be nice if a magefist dropped. Magefist. I rolled a cost reduction (will re-roll to cc). I also got a balefire 1 hand bow (with fire damage).

It reads 800k dps, 1200 ar (will use diamonds to fix that). BUT it does fire damage so I still crit 2.5-2.8 mil. I can now fire 5 cluster shots, opposed to 3 and recharge quicker. I just need to figure survivability.

Very, VERY few people have this type of luck. Look at my wizard ive linked before. Ive gone 80 Paragon levels on him, and have very few legendaries equiped. I have seen an extremely small amount of leg drops, and most of them are garbage. 3/4's of the legs i see roll IAS, Reduced CD, no main stat, and no crit. And im not even exaggerating

Are you rolling a primary stat? I think reduced hatred is a primary stat. Reduced level requirement is a secondary stat, so you'll never see it since you're locked in rolling primary.

And XvM has it right, the time and resources spent trying to reroll reduced level (if you could), wont make up for the time it takes to hit 70. 55 -> 70 is easy sauce, cutting it in half with a powerful weapon wont save that much time in the long run.

I am rolling a primary stat, however the enchantress does in fact say reduced level req can roll in that slot. And your assuming that i want to spend most of my time on leveling that one char, 60-70 is NOT fast, its roughly an hour per level in my experience. And thats also assuming its the only lowbie im working on. Right now i have 3 70's (Wizard, WD, and Monk) 2 in the low 1 in the low 60's (Crusader) low 50's (DH), mid 40's (barb).

The way to effectively level that many chars as fast as possible aside from power leveling is to have overly powerful weapons

+1 for not being as lucky. I'm quite happy with where I'm at but still can't do T3 efficiently. They might use an algorithm on what drops but it's still got a big RNG factor. I've been using fire on my DH since I leveled to 70 and no cindercoat, firewalkers or anything with +fire. Been using fate of feel forever on my crusader and still can't get bracers with +holy or a decent crusader shield. My barb has been somewhat lucky that my crusader has gotten several fire items to pass along but no weapons with +fire. I'm still having fun but the RNG Gods can be a cruel lot. Just last night 3 T2 rifts, no legendaries. My other friend ran two T1 rifts and got 5.

Can anyone help me out with linking my Diablo 3 characters? For some reason every time I log on to the battle.net site, it's "locked in" to my old, long-deactivated WoW account, and I don't see anywhere to choose my Diablo 3 profile or characters.

Rift farming as a WD? Piece of cake, on T1 I can just spread my locust and that alone kills everything in 2-3 ticks. With Grave Injustice passive I basically have 99% uptime on my Spirit Walk. I just sprint through diseasing everything until the Rift boss shows up then it's slam time with spirit barrage and haunt, boss melts in 10 seconds or less.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/SupremeAim-1324/hero/12445715

Rift farming is a piece of cake for all classes. Its just a matter of how fast they can do it and all things being near equal the WD is slow.

Right now the Barb is the fastest once you get the Avalanche bug going. Unlimited avalanche and unlimited fury is pretty insane. Almost as good as the Unlimited Arcane Mode back in the day.

Currently trying to reroll the attack speed into a socket...

I wouldn't bother yet. You have 0 additional crit chance in your gear, so the attack speed is going to be better than the crit damage from a gem right now. You'll probably want to get up to 30%+ crit chance before you worry about socketing your Maximus.

You can get crit chance from...
Amulet - 10%
Gloves - 10%
Rings - 6%
Helm - 6%
Bracers - 6%

Crit damage starts having a big effect even lower than 30%. Even at 20% crit damage out classes IAS by a fair amount and at 30% it's a huge amount. You have an innate 5% so picking up just 15% will be a big increase in DPS and the socket will be even more important. IAS just functions so weird with casting because of the break points with channeled spells and cool downs.

Finally figured out how the heck to show my Diablo 3 profile... anyway, finally found a decent weapon (haven't played a ton at level 70 though, only paragon 34). Currently trying to reroll the attack speed into a socket, but it's already up to 250k per enchant..

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Phoenix-1603/hero/38133519

Your at the best part of the game. You'll find a ton of upgrades.

Here are the bread and butter stats too look for.

Attack Speed
Crit Chance
Crit damage
Damage and elemental damage %
Primary Stat

Rift farming is a piece of cake for all classes. Its just a matter of how fast they can do it and all things being near equal the WD is slow.

Right now the Barb is the fastest once you get the Avalanche bug going. Unlimited avalanche and unlimited fury is pretty insane. Almost as good as the Unlimited Arcane Mode back in the day.

Demon Hunters need too much gear to be effective at speed farming. Barbarians are great from the beginning. Haven't tried Monk, my Crusader is slow and Wizards are good elite/boss nukers but horrible at trash. I think WD are the most effective trash clearing classes. We spend a little more time on elites but our trash clear is excellent and with almost always up Spirit Walk we have as much travel speed as Barbs. I got my Quetz almost as soon as I hit 70 so I got pretty lucky but the rest of my gear was attained in maybe 2 weeks of casual play and nowhere near BIS.

Your at the best part of the game. You'll find a ton of upgrades.

Here are the bread and butter stats too look for.

Attack Speed
Crit Chance
Crit damage
Damage and elemental damage %
Primary Stat

I disagree with some of those.

IAS is not what it once was. It's not all that stackable any more, so while I don't avoid it, I don't look for it either.

Elemental Skills Damage and Damage Against Elites are both much more important than IAS now.

+% Damage on weapons currently only works for non-elemental damage, so it's usually pretty worthless.

The synergy of Crit Chance and Crit Damage is still just as ridiculous as it used to be, so definitely gotta be stacking lots of that.

Definitely don't bother as much with IAS....

I'm debating starting a new character. My monk is up to 1.03mil dps and 6mil toughness standing in town.

Aside from finding a lvl 70 witching hour, there isn't much left to upgrade.

I think the most frustrating thing for me is seeing some friends of mine just getting ridiculous RNG lucky. In particular, one friend who also farms T1 gets..2x TF in the same rift within 10 minutes. Get's 3x Cinder's over a course of 5 rifts, gets perfectly rollled ToTD, gets 2p Vyr's on his wiz in the same run. Like seriously watching my screen as he's linking me stuff just makes me rage. :(

Yeah RNG just sucks. I had a friend who got all 4 of his set pieces in a day of rifting. I haven't even found one. I say for every 6 shit legendaries I find I get 1 decent one and for every 3 decent pieces 1 usable one and for every 3 usable ones a good stat roll one.

I think the most frustrating thing for me is seeing some friends of mine just getting ridiculous RNG lucky. In particular, one friend who also farms T1 gets..2x TF in the same rift within 10 minutes. Get's 3x Cinder's over a course of 5 rifts, gets perfectly rollled ToTD, gets 2p Vyr's on his wiz in the same run. Like seriously watching my screen as he's linking me stuff just makes me rage. :(

Man a similar thing happened to me a couple nights ago when my buddy got like 5 good legs in one rift! I only got one the whole night(turned out to be a bad ass flail for my crusader)... still love the game though! I've had good days myself too so I can't complain too much. Can't wait for the rest of my parts to arrive tomorrow so I can play more this weekend!

On rolling attack speed versus dex, I found dex > 450 to be better than 6% attack speed bonus for dps... BUT attack speed helps 2 other stats, regen for life on hit and main resource generation (it also feels sooooo much better to spam attack than sit and wait).

Crit Damage (synergy with CC)
Crit Chance (synergy with CD)
Elemental/Weapon Damage
Main Stat
Attack Speed

When rolling stats, this is what you want as priorities to maximize DPS. Above CC of 50%, CC drops to bottom of list of priority. I have compared pouring all paragon into maxing cc bonus or cd bonus and cd bonus wins everytime above 50% cc.

Man a similar thing happened to me a couple nights ago when my buddy got like 5 good legs in one rift! I only got one the whole night(turned out to be a bad ass flail for my crusader)... still love the game though! I've had good days myself too so I can't complain too much. Can't wait for the rest of my parts to arrive tomorrow so I can play more this weekend!

I really like playing with friends because at least if someone I like okay is getting drops with me, it's still fun.

Demon Hunters need too much gear to be effective at speed farming. Barbarians are great from the beginning. Haven't tried Monk, my Crusader is slow and Wizards are good elite/boss nukers but horrible at trash. I think WD are the most effective trash clearing classes. We spend a little more time on elites but our trash clear is excellent and with almost always up Spirit Walk we have as much travel speed as Barbs. I got my Quetz almost as soon as I hit 70 so I got pretty lucky but the rest of my gear was attained in maybe 2 weeks of casual play and nowhere near BIS.

I'm sorry but barbs are by far not the best for farming without hard to find gear. They also require a hell of a lot of gear to be good.

Wizards and DH seem to be the best at speed farming.

Monks are ok too.

Barbs take a lot.

Crusaders are tanky and slow so they are good party members for higher diffulties.

WD are great, but I don't have one.

I'm sorry but barbs are by far not the best for farming without hard to find gear. They also require a hell of a lot of gear to be good.

Well as long as the avalanche bug is working they are the fastest regardless of gear.

I really like playing with friends because at least if someone I like okay is getting drops with me, it's still fun.

Fo sho! I'm loving how the new expansion has fixed pretty much everything I didn't like about D3! D3 is definitely best with friends.

I think they went way too far with trading.

I'd like to trade crafting materials as I have like 10 adventures journals which I'd love to trade for stuff I don't have. I'd love to be able to give some bros some gold they should allow gold trading but limit it to like 100k each trade and have a trade window timer so that way if someone wants to buy gold from China it would take them forever....which would pretty much eliminate it.

why have a timer on the item at all? I find an Item with Steve I should be able to trade it with Steve forever. I'd think the timer would add more programming.

So much gear I want to try out that I'll never end up finding sucks.

I still never understood why they always nerf all the gear that is actually allows you to play T6. They honestly make this game more of a grind than it should be. I guess that's how they try to keep people playing. It just gets extremely boring sometimes, especially when you just get shit drops for 3 days straight.

True, but at the same time, we all have.. lots of hours, right? Any way you slice it it's a lot of good value for the money since it's not a monthly sub model. Most games you spend 40-80 on, you aren't playing for hundreds of hours.

I still never understood why they always nerf all the gear that is actually allows you to play T6. They honestly make this game more of a grind than it should be. I guess that's how they try to keep people playing. It just gets extremely boring sometimes, especially when you just get shit drops for 3 days straight.

There's a pretty clear difference between having good gear that makes T6 viable, and gear that is so broken that it makes T6 viable with a single weapon. Even after the fixes, shard can still be pretty powerful. The only people crying about it are the people who failed to realized how broken it was and relied too much on it. No weapon should proc that much, and are living in a bubble of ignorance to think something like that wouldnt be fixed.

The game revolves around grinding. The better your gear gets, the harder it is to find upgrades. If you complain about upgrades now, you would probably still complain if they quadrupled current drop rates because eventually you'll it the same spot as you are now in finding upgrades.

Better salvage it then so you don't have to look at it.

I actually found two. Salvaged them.

In the end Blizzard still doesn't understand what most of the playerbase wants. GOOD legendaries that actually do some game changing stuff. Too bad I couldn't have used t when it was still good.

There's a pretty clear difference between having good gear that makes T6 viable, and gear that is so broken that it makes T6 viable with a single weapon. Even after the fixes, shard can still be pretty powerful. The only people crying about it are the people who failed to realized how broken it was and relied too much on it. No weapon should proc that much, and are living in a bubble of ignorance to think something like that wouldnt be fixed.

The game revolves around grinding. The better your gear gets, the harder it is to find upgrades. If you complain about upgrades now, you would probably still complain if they quadrupled current drop rates because eventually you'll it the same spot as you are now in finding upgrades.

Most legendary items in D3 are very very crappy. Glorified rates more like it. Super underwhelming and instead of addressing the crappy legendaries and 2handers they over Nerf an item in typical Blizzard fashion.

True, but at the same time, we all have.. lots of hours, right? Any way you slice it it's a lot of good value for the money since it's not a monthly sub model. Most games you spend 40-80 on, you aren't playing for hundreds of hours.

Question is, are you actually having fun NOT getting upgrades over those 100s of hours?

I'm just saying, you might want to step back and say, if I've played for 382 hours.. I'd be happy I got that much out of it. It's kind of hard to expect limitless progression and upgrades.

A king of the hill mode of some sort where progressively harder and faster waves of elite packs attack at the same time would be a lot of fun. Really dense rifts are a blast, but the mazey empty ones are not very fulfilling.

So what has been the biggest complaint since the game came out? Not enough GOOD loot. All they do is nerf anything that is technically broken, but the only items that really are good are broken ones. Unless you are extremely lucky and just get perfect rolls all day long.

Back