DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra-D Problem

On the Lam

Limp Gawd
Any combination of RAM occupying Dimm3 (yellow), Dimm4 (orange), or both, or 1&3, or 1&4, or 2&3, or 2&4 will NOT boot. DEBUG LED will display 3 red LED. Monitor black screen – no display.

Any combination of RAM occupying Dimm1 (yellow), Dimm2 (orange), or both will boot fine, but this is a SINGLE CHANNEL configuration.

Occasional cold boot issues – are resolved on the spot by switching power supply switch off for several seconds, then on again.

Basically, any time that a RAM stick is occupying Dimm3 or Dimm4, irregard of whether there is another stick of RAM elsewhere, the PC will not boot.

PC was working fine in both either Yellow, or Orange Slot DUAL CHANNEL since being built Nov05 to present, until this current problem.

There was no single identifiable event that triggered the problem, other than the fact that I had dual channel running in Yellow, until I read that with my RAM (TCCD) I should be using Orange. It worked fine for a while, until hitting the current problem.

I have attempted the ‘proper Clear CMOS’ without success.

BIOS just updated today with the 2005/11/14 BIOS (FX60) but did not resolve the above issue.

Motherboard is DFI LP UT Ultra-D NF4. Revision shows in CPU-Z as Rev.A3.

Purchased in November 2005

Other hardware as follows:

A64 3200+ Venice
OCZ Platinum Rev.2 - 512MBx2
Seasonic S12 330W
Sapphire x800 GTO2

All 4 power connectors connected to motherboard.

I have spent some time browsing the forums of www.dfi-street.com One other user appeared to have the same problem as myself, and was advised by ‘Angry_Games’ to RMA the board.

It was also suggested that the memory controller (which is built onto the CPU) may be faulty, but I do not have an extra CPU to test this suggestion. If this is the case, then obviously I do not want to RMA the board.

Any suggestions to remedy this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Yes, I've heard about the aforementioned problems with DFI & Seasonic.

However, I've since tested with a 650W Silverstone power supply without success.

Other that my Dual Channel problem, my system is overclocked 20% cpu & ram, rock stable with 'only' 330W.

Back