Development Thread for ATI overclocking tool - v0.0.19 out

W1zzard

[H]ard|Gawd
100% cpu usage only with the renderview active? only when the app is in the foreground? or always when the app is running in any state?

0ldman: couldnt test artifact detection with a 9000 card :( doesnt work for memory and core or just core?

starwarshater: which app/game did you try that isnt properly detected?

I used Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne for the app testing (D3D). I'll try some other games in a bit, just didn't have time to mess with it (at a LAN and all).

I get the 100% cpu usage anywhere, open with or without 3D window or down in the tray, tho in the tray it doesn't happen as often and of course with the 3D window on the CPU usage is always there.

100% usage only with 3d app detection enabled? if yes then i think i just found the bug which causes it :)

wizzard u da man. i was just wishing there was a perfect radeon overclocking too (like coolbits for nvidia) and here u go makin it :).

Ya, the 100% cpu usage is associated with app detection I believe. Also I am getting the dings after I realized I disabled the default sound scheme via the Sounds Control Panel applet :rolleyes: I just hate those default sounds. However, app detect doesn't with Quake 3 (did some demos and no change from with or without the tool running). Also during other games (Aliens vs. Predator 2, Call of Duty) I get weird "spasms" of dings randomly while I play, tho it might be something else acting up.

It doesn't detect artifacts from core or memory overclocking on the 9000.

Visually I can see them but it keeps cranking the clockspeed.

Occasionally the timer will start over, it will recognize some artifact on both GPU and RAM, but generally its not visible, or either its washed out by the other non-detected artifacts.

Getting...........closer.

Computer.................amost................here........ ;) :D

Must.........test...........modded...........XT. :cool:

just tested version 11 and it's a big improvent.

w1zzard how long would you advise letting it run before saying a clock speed is stable. i let it run for about 3 min on both ram and gpu with no errors but both clocks were about 10Mhz high of what i've found (quick test in car chase low 3dmark01 revielded they were to high)

it is deffinately working alot better than version 7, before the ram was too high and the gpu to low so it's more consistent.

Am i right in saying that it uses pixel shaders to test for artifacts, if it does are there other tests that could be run to strain the card because there is definately something causing artifacts in games that are not being created with this little utility.

also it'd be really cool if there was an average fps count as well as current. this would get updated evertime the clocks changed and this way you'd get a better idea of the performance gains achieved.

As I've said before, rthdribl is the best app out there I've found to test for core artifacts. I love what W1z is doing with this program here but I still like to use rthdribl to double-check, seeing as i KNOW it's accurate and sensitive enough to rely on. For the ram, make sure the card is "warmed up" and give the dragothic test (both low and high detail) a run in 3dmark2001.....there are others that will show ram anomilies but Dragothic is one of the best from what I've seen.

I really hope this app gets to the point where it's just as accurate as rthdribl for overclocks and I can take some of the pain out of the process when I'm hunting for that "Holy Grail" of an OC.

fr33ze: the spinning cube isnt using pixelshader .. only vertex shaders .. i think i'll create more "tests" which use different features and the user can choose which one to perform the tests on.. you mean fps count while searching for max oc? sure .. i can add that..

been working a lot on the app detection feature the last days ... a nightmare :mad:

Originally posted by W1zzard
fr33ze: the spinning cube isnt using pixelshader .. only vertex shaders .. i think i'll create more "tests" which use different features and the user can choose which one to perform the tests on.. you mean fps count while searching for max oc? sure .. i can add that..

been working a lot on the app detection feature the last days ... a nightmare :mad:

not exactly what i meant with the fps count but if you can add that as well then that'd be cool too. i meant as well as a current fps count display an average fps count for the particular clock setting being used (so there would be two clocks displayed current and average). an average fps count for a specific clock setting would be useful for comparing performance at different speeds.

as for more tests that can be used thats exactly what i meant.

keep up the good work w1zzard

uploaded version 0.0.12 to the server.

changes are
- completely rewrote app detection .. should work for everything now .. please try with every 3d app/game you can find.
- lots of minor bugfixes and ui improvements
- added infoboxes for 9000/9200/9600 ocing, 9500np softmod and 9800se softmod

any suggestions for a name for this tool? any user interface suggestions?

I'm into programming and I am very interested in seeing the source to this wonderful utility, I have never hooked into any libraries and I wanted to check out how you did it.

cheers for putting the average fps in w1zzard, exactly what i meant.

the clock detect seems a lot more accurate as well. coming in very close on the ram. havnt done the gpu yet. i like the way artifacts show up as red polygons now as well.

Update for ya,

App detect works in Q3A (ya!) but I didn't get the sound (I don't really care as long as it works ;) ) and I seem not to have the 100% cpu issue anymore, thanks, good job and all of that :D;

Names:

Radeator
Clockit
Corepush
AtiD&C (detect and clock)
Radeon D&C

or

Hal9001

Horrible names I know.

radeonator
ultraclocker
mondojuicer
X-clocker (everyone loves the letter "X")
Wizzclocker

wizz u can use any of these and dont even have to give me credit ;)

Hey wizzard, I think that you are doing a great job on these overclocking tools. But I have to ask, Can You give me an estimate on how well it scans for artifacts when you trying to find max core and max memory. The reason I ask is because when I run my card at the speeds in the sig. It runs fine on all apps. Even running COD for hours and it will run fine. But when I go to scan for artifacts using your device, it says it has artifacts within 1 second. I dont want to seem rude or anything. But maybe you should try and create something that test for artifacts better. Like rthdribl. Thanks for your time

Originally posted by ChaosNightWolf
Hey wizzard, I think that you are doing a great job on these overclocking tools. But I have to ask, Can You give me an estimate on how well it scans for artifacts when you trying to find max core and max memory. The reason I ask is because when I run my card at the speeds in the sig. It runs fine on all apps. Even running COD for hours and it will run fine. But when I go to scan for artifacts using your device, it says it has artifacts within 1 second. I dont want to seem rude or anything. But maybe you should try and create something that test for artifacts better. Like rthdribl. Thanks for your time

i think its fair to say that w1zzard is doing a dam good job. yes it won't work perfectly yet because it is a beta version (not complete yet). it's improving with every release and getting more and more accurate. I know your not having a dig but to ask him to maybe try something that tests for artifacts better is a little cheaky.

I noticed that same thing. With the ATItool I get an average "stable artifact free" auto mem/core of 418 & 368. Up from 412 & 362. But infact, I can actually get artifact free gaming much higher than that. It's a work in progress. All I know is that this is an awesome up'n'comer for a program. It so far looks great.

A few other things I wouldn't mind is a temp monitor for the cards that can use it. This would greatly help out not having to have multiple programs for multiple things.

Maybe some preset profiles for 3dmark2001 testing, so you don't have to create'em.

For name suggestions:
Radeon Performance Enhancing Acceleration Program (hehe jk)
Radeon Accelerator (Shortword would be RadAcc)
Radeon Accelerator Program (RAP)
Radeon Penis Enlarger .. wait a second ..

ROT (Radeon Overclocking Tool)

XRO (Extreme Radeon Overclocking)

PRO (Professional Radeon Overclocking)

W1zzPRO^^

Radeon 733t Overclocking Bitpowa Tool Of The Future NU XT (in an arnold voice) (joke)

[H]Tool

MROF (My Radeon's On Fire) JOKE

tiredness setting in

and now i can't think of anyhting else

great program..........currently have my FIC (fucking ignorant consumer) 9500pro at 350/315.........this program is gonna be big

artifacts within one second starting from default or starting from what you think is artifact free?

when scanning for max core on my 9800pro the test detects a much lower core speed than what i thought is artifact-free. the detection algorithm takes a snapshot at default clock and compares this to what the card produces at a certain clock speed. it also "sees" very small errors that are not visible to the eye... not sure how i should handle that since mathematically the errors are there..

W1zzard beat me to it.

Not all artifacts are visible.

I'm not happy now. I just installed War3:FT on my tvbox. My ti4200 has been stable on everything @ 280/600 ever since last March. War3FT intro screen, the snow artifacts...

I'll try the new version on my bro's 9000 when I get home this afternoon.
how hard would it be to allow the artifact detection of the program to work on other cards?

the detection itself is just directx9 .. so should work on all cards .. the problem is finding a test that produces as many artifacts as possible .. no idea about artifacts on non-ati cores.

can you try running the tool on your 4200? you wont be able to change clocks but the rendering and scanning code should work .. maybe :)

Bah, I'm glad to see this thing getting better and better but I'm still without my computer for a day or two more and I wanna give this thing a go.

I kind of like the whole "idea" about not all artifacts being visible, especially if this thing is picking up THOSE ones. It really reminds me of Prime95.....your system can be stable for gaming and windows and stuff but might crash out in Prime relatively easily. I don't wanna turn this into a big fight over Prime95 but I'm just saying that W1z is doing more and more with this thing with every release and it is becoming so much more mature.

I can't wait to give it a go.....I'll have feedback for ya ASAP but for now I can only sit and watch. :(

OK...can someone explain how to have the clock speed loaded the next time the computer is turned on without having the ATITOOL window popup at startup? I'd greatly appreciate it...thus far I am highly impressed with this Perfect Utility, though this is my first attempt at using it.

As for names:

WizzardClocker
MagicOC
Simply Perfect ATI Wizzard
WizzardTuner
The OnlyClocker
The UntouchableTweaker

Thanks for the help...and thank you Wizzard for your dillegent work.

on my TVbox, Athlon XP2100+, 384DDR, Via KT266a, WinXP no SP1, Ti4200 with 29.xx drivers.

first error: startService2: The specified network resource or device is no longer available.
click ok

2nd error:
Service not started.
Current States: 1
Exit Code: 55
Service Specific Exit Code: 0
Check Point: 0
Wait Hint: 0

3rd error:
Could not connect to atitool.sys. Try to fix it?

click yes, and start the process over again, click no, the app loads.

The renderer works fine, but the scan for artifacts button is greyed out.

Originally posted by mdaniel
OK...can someone explain how to have the clock speed loaded the next time the computer is turned on without having the ATITOOL window popup at startup? I'd greatly appreciate it...thus far I am highly impressed with this Perfect Utility, though this is my first attempt at using it.

As for names:

WizzardClocker
MagicOC
Simply Perfect ATI Wizzard
WizzardTuner
The OnlyClocker
The UntouchableTweaker

Thanks for the help...and thank you Wizzard for your dillegent work.

System file loads that portion of the program.

Wizzard,

this program really is becoming the very best overclocking software. Thanks a lot again. Even the find max core/mem function seems to be perfect now on my 9800 XT.

I tried this programs and it works great on my 9800PRO, but for some reason it didn't work on my Friend's 9700PRO, he says:

Originally posted by BigBen
Hi,
This program gave me some probs .... when i run the find MAX mem on my card it went up to around 355mhz and then started to drop but seemed to get caught in some kind of loop ... I watched the mem speed drop down further and further .... it dropped below the standard 310mhz :rolleyes: .... when the MEM speed dropped to 225Mhz the computer went tits up with all kinds of screen corruptions :eek: and I had to re-boot the comp ..... I re-run the test and the same occurred :( .... it might be that the program is not compatible with all makes of Radeon or more likely just mine lol :D

Regards

His system specs:
Epox 8RDA+, XP2700+, Radeon 9700 Pro, 512MB Crucial 3200 DDR.

had he already found and set the max core speed. if the core was generating artifacts then that'd be why it's decreasing down and down. mine did the same.

Originally posted by fr33ze
had he already found and set the max core speed. if the core was generating artifacts then that'd be why it's decreasing down and down. mine did the same.

nope, I think he had everything set to stock.

Back