Desperately seeking help from Abit NF7/AN7 users!

P

PimpBot5000

Hello folks,

I have a problem. I've just recently built my new comp, which contains some of the following:

Abit AN7 motherboard stock bios from 3/2004 #15

2 X 512 A Data 3200 DDR ram @ stock

Mobile Athlon XP 2400+ 45 watt @ whatever

Western Digital 80SE

LiteON DVD Burner

and so on and so fourth...

My problem is that no matter what bios settings I change, there is a 15-22 second pause between starting to load XP Pro. Let me explain. The bios where it checks the memory and speed comes up uber fast. It hits the other screen where drives and memory are displayed also. But then it proceeds to go to a black screen for the aforementioned time allocation and THEN finally starts loading XP. I figured this would be because the main drive wasn't set to hard disk, but changing it does nothing. There shouldn't be a long wait. My bro's machine, which cost $350 and has a SiS 745 Ultra mobo loads faster than this. I know it's a fixable little issue that some have had. PLEASE for the love of God, help me.

i had the same problem.....what hard drives are u using? this normally occurs with sata drives

assuming thats an ide drive, id guess your mobo either has problems or you need to reformat

If you hit a blank screen, chances are that you've left the SATA controller enabled - and you don't currently have any SATA drives in your system. The AN7 has a Silicon Image Si3114r SATA RAID controller onboard. And when the SATA controller is enabled, its BIOS will take quite a long time to detect any SATA devices - it may take as long as 15~22 seconds to determine that there are no drives connected to the SATA ports.

By the way, I have an NF7-S motherboard, and it took nowhere near that long to get from the BIOS screen to starting up Windows XP. It currently has BIOS version 24 (aka 2.4) on it.

Go into the BIOS and disable anything you're not using. Floppy controller, Serial, Parallel, Firewire, Game Ports, SATA ..... you get the idea. The board is probably looking for something that's enabled you don't have attached.

Back