Desperately need help w/hitachi 250gb sata drive

Castor Troy

Weaksauce
Last night I was unplugging the sata cable (as i've done before, I did not adversely torque it) and the plastic part of the SATA connector broke off inside the sata cable. I've been trying for the past 6 hours to try to get it to boot off the drive; sata controller will recognize the drive, but it will not boot from the drive.

The metal contacts are still fine, but the drive refuses to boot. This is a mission critical drive that I CANNOT loose. I was in the process of putting it the drive into a lian-li pc2100 to build a raid array so that I'd have some protection in case the drive died. :rolleyes:

My question is, where do I go from here? Hitachi has already said that they cannot RMA the drive and save my data; and it is going to cost me upwards of $1000 to have the data transferred to a new hard drive by one of the many data recovery outfits.

I'm pretty thoroughly screwed if I can't get the data on this drive.

Thanks

Well the best thing to do is try to but back the plastic piece that broke off with w a little glue and align all the leads. Then plug the SATA cable in. Do it on a flat surface so that the cable doesn't pull on the connector. The key here is not worrying about a solid connection with the drive. You just want to make sure that the leads are making good contact with the cable which is why the plastic piece that broke off is important. If all else fails you can try to find the exact drive and swap the daughter board. Hope this helps.

Back