Desktop Monitoring Software

Zalbag

Limp Gawd
So my boss today decides he want to now monitor most of the machines in the office, he wants the ability to "spy" and see what's going on at any given moment on someone's desktop. I swore I would never do this but now I have no choice. Can anyone recommend any software that can do this? Most of the machines are Windows 2000/Windows XP. My laptop (which he also wants to monitor) is a PowerBook.

Thanks,

Zalbag

RealVNC
Once it's installed on the computers, the viewer can be used to remote access the computers, see what's going on the desktop, take control, etc.

They have a Windows and OSX version available.

Those are both good suggestions but having to open up all the ports in our firewall to allow him to remotely view these machines is a little rough. I was hoping for something a little simplier.

You don't have to open all the ports for UltraVNC to work.... just port forward one and it should work fine.

I'm confused. He wants to monitor around 6 machines, if I open ports on the firewall I'd have to specify which machine I want the forwarded ports to go to?

They can all run through the same port, and you can set it up so that when you log into the program it will give you a list of machines to choose from. You can tweak it so it suits your bosses needs, makes it pretty simple to use. You can assign each machine a name... "Bob's computer"...etc. One open port is all you need for it to work.

I'm confused. He wants to monitor around 6 machines, if I open ports on the firewall I'd have to specify which machine I want the forwarded ports to go to?

This is for a LAN with the machines on the same network?
I have not tried UltraVNC, so this is in reference to RealVNC which I've installed on many networks, including my own....
Basically in the case of RealVNC, what I did was install the VNC server on each computer in the network, created a password for it, and made a note of the internal IP addressvof each computer.
After that, I used the VNC viewer from my PC, specified the internal IP (192x) address of the other computer I want to connect to, enter the password and connected. From here I am able to perform the standard functions any remote access software lets you do.

There was no need for me to open ports or use port forwarding at all.

Vile the machines he would like to view/monitor are at our office but he'll be viewing them from his house.

That's exactly how UltraVNC works on a LAN as well... If your boss wants to remote in outside the LAN, from home or whatever, you will need to open one port, but that's it.

Edit.. static ip's are a necessity as well...(to remote in from home)...not much of a big deal.

Vile the machines he would like to view/monitor are at our office but he'll be viewing them from his house.

Ok, the process I mentioned is for a LAN, but it'll still work outside of a LAN, you'll just have to do what digital_exhaust mentioned...

Ok, but just in case does anyone know of any commercial software that could do this as well?

Back