Desktop GPU Sales Lowest in Decades

Blade-Runner

Supreme [H]ardness
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/j...s cards for,decades, as historical data shows.

1686465059435.png

Reactions: erek
like this
Kinda shows the rise of consoles (they aren't missing out now) and the general lack of caring when yo' phone plays the game.
I just don't see the giant GPU push anymore. The more expensive and amazing your GPU gets the less peeps can buy it. When a lesser amount of people buy it, who the fuck is supporting and spending huge$$ on it?
Bruh...
Tiss now the console age. PS/Xbox/Meta

Well, they priced a lot of folks out, and went with miners over gamers when mining market was hot, and when it collapsed they shifted to AI and continued shafting gamers.

Not quite sure what they expected to happen?

Of course more GPU's were going to sell when the fastest GPU money could.buy cost $349. Sure that was over 20 years ago, but even adjusted for inflation.l, that's ~$625 today.

And we were promised tech would always get cheaper. In the 80's a computer could cost you as much as a car. A decade ago we were down to $200 for a cheap laptop, now it is going up.

Anyway, shouldn't be surprising they have lost sales volume with the pricing models they have settled on. Something had to give.

Back in the day, I always bought a great GPU. Then it became the second best. Now, I am just chilling on a 3070. It works fine for the games I play on my LG 42 oled anyway... The top cards now are $2000 here in Denmark. It's just crazy.

It’s not just the expense, but you just get more mileage on a card now. How many people ar even playing at 4K? What’s the drive for 8K? I think most are still playing at 1080p or 2K and upgrading isn’t needed so much.

I went from GTX 960 to 6700XT last year and probably will stay there for 5 years. I play at 2K.

Well, they priced a lot of folks out, and went with miners over gamers when mining market was hot, and when it collapsed they shifted to AI and continued shafting gamers.

Not quite sure what they expected to happen?
Have you looked at the state of the art with mini PCs these days? Several companies are selling NUC-sized 6900HXs with USB 4. Those will play many games acceptably well. For a bit more $ and size, Minisforum sells a 6900HX with a 6600m discrete GPU.

As I think I mentioned on one of the Diablo IV threads, my little i5-1235u will play it on 1080p low, with FSR, at a pretty solid 40fps (although I haven't checked when there's lots of mobs on the screen because I didn't know the show fps command yet, but I don't recall it being a sudden lagfest. (I'm really tempted to sell the 1235 and get one of the ones I mentioned above.

Back