Dell U2713HM

To be honest, has anyone taken a picture of the cross hatching? I've asked some people and they said the issue is blown way out of proportion, and unless your eyes are right in the screen then you won't notice it. Most of them were photographers who you think would pay attention to this kind of stuff.

i didnt see any on mine.

its the green tint issue for me. even the bleeding has been pretty low

amazon was basically like; theyre not gonna sell em any more hahha

so i am going to exchange mine through dell.

Dremic,
I figured all Amazon could do is ship from the stock they have on hand. I thought Dell would have a better shot at getting me one without terrible backlight bleed so I called them, told them how frustrated I was driving back and forth to the UPS store and was willing to give them one more shot. I thought if the one they sent me was bad I would just send it back and return the third one from Amazon
back to Amazon and try something else, probably an Asus PB278Q. Thankfully the one Dell sent me [overnighted from FedEx] had minimal bleed and I can put this all behind me. The one from Dell came with a return shipping label so the last one from Amazon is going back to Dell. I told Dell I got the last one from Amazon and they said that's fine just send it back to us. I guess after 30 days it won't matter because you would have to deal with Dell anyhow. I still think the U2713hm is one of the better IPS screens out there right now if you can get a good one and I have tried a lot of them. Just my 2 cents worth.

Looks like I spoke too soon, I left the monitor on overnight to check for image retention and the next day it had very obvious backlight bleed. I tried ignoring it but every dark scene whether in games or multimedia it was driving me nuts. This is the 4th one I have had [3 from Amazon and 1 from Dell] and I'm giving up. I'm sending the last one from Dell back and trying something else. For $650.00 u.s. I will not tolerate obvious backlight bleed or dead or stuck pixels. I was going to try an Asus pb278q but it doesn't look like they are any better. What does it take to get a decent 2560 x 1440 monitor? I think I am going to go to the local brick and mortar store and pick up the best looking 1920 x 1080
IPS with no bleed until these 2560 x 1440 monitors get sorted out. Sorry to sound like I'm ranting and raving, I'm just disgusted and tired of unboxing and reboxing, plus I know all the people at the local UPS store on the first name basis!

Looks like I spoke too soon, I left the monitor on overnight to check for image retention and the next day it had very obvious backlight bleed. I tried ignoring it but every dark scene whether in games or multimedia it was driving me nuts. This is the 4th one I have had [3 from Amazon and 1 from Dell] and I'm giving up. I'm sending the last one from Dell back and trying something else. For $650.00 u.s. I will not tolerate obvious backlight bleed or dead or stuck pixels. I was going to try an Asus pb278q but it doesn't look like they are any better. What does it take to get a decent 2560 x 1440 monitor? I think I am going to go to the local brick and mortar store and pick up the best looking 1920 x 1080
IPS with no bleed until these 2560 x 1440 monitors get sorted out. Sorry to sound like I'm ranting and raving, I'm just disgusted and tired of unboxing and reboxing, plus I know all the people at the local UPS store on the first name basis!

i am pretty unhappy with mine and dell customer service.

i have called twice both times their system is supposedly down. I cant tell you how annoying it is to have to deal with somebody from India that can't understand my issues.

aight Dell called me back and overnighted me a new monitor. should be here today.

this will be my 4th u2713hm.

hopefully there isnt a green tint.

I took the chance in buying this monitor even after knowing about the back light issues. I just didn't think I would get one of the bad ones... its a good thing Amazon is great when it comes to customer service. I'm waiting for the 2nd replacement to arrive now. Hopefully that's not another dud or else I'm done with this monitor. Hopefully this helps anyone that is on the fence on buying one of these. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Edit: Looks like Amazon listened and the monitor is under review once again, hopefully they will straighten these issues out before shipping anymore defective panels.

Here are both monitors I received, both are A01 revisions manufactured in Oct 2012.

1st monitor:
124av89.jpg

2nd monitor:
migbif.jpg

Last edited:
abscenceoftruth, others,

I keep hearing good things about amazon's return/exchange policies, but do you know if this applies only for products actually sold by amazon themselves, or does this go for products that are being sold through amazon by third parties?

abscenceoftruth, others,

I keep hearing good things about amazon's return/exchange policies, but do you know if this applies only for products actually sold by amazon themselves, or does this go for products that are being sold through amazon by third parties?

it goes for buying them directly through amazon.

they stopped selling them after i complained and sent 3 back.

just brought up my fourth one that i got directly from dell. creation is Jan 2013 Rev 00

green fucking tint bottom left corner.

you have to check the third parties' individual return policies. some use amazon's return policies, others have their own.

So I received the 3rd replacement yesterday, this time a Revision A00, Manf. Nov 2012. Same issues. I think this one may be worst than the first two.

I think I'm going to return this monitor and be done with it. Its not worth the time and effort to keep shipping these back and forth. It would be an amazing monitor if it wasn't for these horrible back light issues... its a damn shame.

Does anyone know any better alternatives to this monitor around the same price range?

Here's the 3rd monitor:

68hb3a.jpg

Last edited:
So I received the 3rd replacement yesterday, this time a Revision A00, Manf. Nov 2012. Same issues. I think this one may be worst than the first two.

I think I'm going to return this monitor and be done with it. Its not worth the time and effort to keep shipping these back and forth. It would be an amazing monitor if it wasn't for these horrible back light issues... its a damn shame.

Does anyone know any better alternatives to this monitor around the same price range?

Here's the 3rd monitor:

i am with you. im about to send back my fourth.

in my opinion there just isnt an equivalent. semi gloss 1440p 27inch ah-ips? unless maybe you go korean but the warranty is shit

i just bought mine bought it from a retailer instead of dell., if its bad i just send it back tod dell and get a new 1 simple as that

retailer was 200 euro cheaper lawl

Hey guys, I'm using a 3 meter USB 3.0 cable from my U2713HM monitor to a 5 meter USB 2.0 male to female extension cable, and I get random disconnects on everything that's connected to the monitors USB ports. I tried using an active USB 2.0 5 meter extension cable(with a repeater) but that doesn't even work, I just don't get any signal to my monitors USB hub.

Do I need really need a 'USB 3.0' active cable with a repeater? I tried installing the monitors driver and shut off any power savings options I could find that might be causing the issue.

To be honest, has anyone taken a picture of the cross hatching? I've asked some people and they said the issue is blown way out of proportion, and unless your eyes are right in the screen then you won't notice it. Most of them were photographers who you think would pay attention to this kind of stuff.

I tried taking a picture but all I have is my phone and it won't focus on it. I've had my display for a few weeks and don't notice it as much any more. It depends on how far away I sit, though. I'm more than arms length away and can see it, but if I lean back in my chair I can't see it anymore. I can only see it on the bottom half of the display. If I shift my head from side to side the direction of the hatching changes from slated left to slanted right. This is my second one, and it was stronger on the first, so it may be better on some displays. This one is better than the first.

As long as I'm focusing on the content I don't notice it, but occasionally I notice it and it bothers me. It really only stands out on a white background, but if I'm conscious of it I can see it when playing games. It tends to fade into the background when focusing on playing a game, reading a webpage, etc., but it is always there.

Here are both monitors I received, both are A01 revisions manufactured in Oct 2012.

My second, and current, is an A00 manufactured in Jan 2013. That is strange that you have an A01 from Oct 2012. My first was an A00 from Oct 2012.

My first had bad backlighting. I sent it back because it had a black smudge under the center of the screen. It may have been a cluster of dead pixels, but it looked like a black smudge. My second still has bad backlighting. It is just as bad as the worst pictures I see in this thread. It is really annoying when playing games or watching movies.

Before this, I had an iMac that I replaced several times due to horrible image retention and bad backlighting. The backlighting on the iMac looked exactly like the backlighting on my U2713HM, and what I see in the pictures in this thread. I got tired of having to replace the entire computer due to bad screens, so I returned the iMac and bought an XPS 8500 and U2713HM. At least now I'm not stuck with a bad screen indefinably. I can replace it at any time.

I bet the iMacs are using the same LG panel. I honestly don't think there is anything better right now. We're just SOL until LG starts making better panels or Dell starts using a different supplier for their panels. I have image retention on this one as well, but I only see it in tests and haven't noticed it in actual use.

And on top of the screen issues, the USB is unreliable. My wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse won't work properly when the USB receiver is connected to the display.

Got my HM, and I have the cross hatching. Bugger. It's a July 2012 A00.

Comparing the H and the HM side by side, the H AG looks almost invisible next to an ACD, whilst I can see the HM's a lot more (due to the cross hatching, I think. I am not accepting this. I will just bother DELL until I get a good one).

However, the colours on the HM and the ACD are pretty much 100% exact once I had both calibrated. I really can't tell the difference. Both are as vibrant as each other. Blacks are 'shinier' on the ACD because of reflections... that is about it. I had others compare both and 9/10 times with different wallpapers they thought the HM was 'sharper', and both looked the same colour wise. Excellent.

So in that regard, HM wins I think.

Got my HM, and I have the cross hatching. Bugger. It's a July 2012 A00.

Comparing the H and the HM side by side, the H AG looks almost invisible next to an ACD, whilst I can see the HM's a lot more (due to the cross hatching, I think. I am not accepting this. I will just bother DELL until I get a good one).

However, the colours on the HM and the ACD are pretty much 100% exact once I had both calibrated. I really can't tell the difference. Both are as vibrant as each other. Blacks are 'shinier' on the ACD because of reflections... that is about it. I had others compare both and 9/10 times with different wallpapers they thought the HM was 'sharper', and both looked the same colour wise. Excellent.

So in that regard, HM wins I think.

Sorry to bother but what's an ACD?

I had my 2713HM arrive on Tuesday, I've been using a Dell 2407-HC since Sept 07 and it's been a superb monitor and still is, I just fancied moving to a 27" and decided to get the 2713 after reading up on it, it actually cost less than my 2407 did over 5yrs ago. I do recall the 2407 originally came with 1 faulty pixel which was swapped out, and it's been absolutely brilliant over last 5yrs+.

So on reading the few issues some users were having I was half expecting this new 2713HM may have a couple too, but I'm pleased to report it has no bad pixels, and it does'nt appear to have any light bleed either, I also have not noticed any image retention problems or any issues with buzzing noises either... so all good here which is unusual for me..lol

I think this 2713 does have slightly more IPS flare, which one can detect by moving from optimum position when a black screen is shown in subdued light, in normal use it's fine, so it's all good, it certainly runs a lot cooler than the 2407 did, that got quite warm, the 2713 is cold in comparison.

I also bought the Dell 511 sound bar for it, which is the more expensive one of the 2, for anyone considering buying this, I can report it certainly looks and sounds a lot better than the standard 510 model.
Note however that ALL the enhanced 511 sound bars use a separate power supply as it needs 2amps and the monitor can only supply sufficient for the 510 if you wanted to power it off the actual monitor.
Also note, if you buy the cheaper AY510 soundbar that there are 2 models of it, one being the 510PA, note the PA version uses a separate Power Adapter (hence the PA) so you need the standard 510 model not the PA version... so buyer beware.

The AY511 sound bar does sound quite good but as expected lacks a little bass, but for their size the sound quality is not bad at all, AIS certainly better than the cheaper AY510 bar, the touch controls are not bad either, my only moan would be that it does not retain the settings such as volume level ect if it's powered off at the mains, it does retain the settings however as long as mains power is on even when speakers are turned off. I just happen to power everything off at night..lol.. but no big deal.. just a bit annoying. Certainly worth buying if your'e looking to save space on your desk & AIS unlike the AY10 it looks decent too, where the AY510 looks a little cheap..

So that's my experience with the 2713HM so far, I feel for those guys who have had to swap a couple to get a decent one, as it does seem luck of the draw, it's unusual for me to get a perfect one, as I'm the guy that nearly always ends up with one with issues..lol

I would gladly here any more thought about the 2713HM. I still have mine 2407-WFP-HC which i bought late 2007.

Though i was planning to buy the 2713H instead i don't think there's a great difference between the HM and H-versions of the monitor.

Apple Cinema Display

Aah.

I would gladly here any more thought about the 2713HM. I still have mine 2407-WFP-HC which i bought late 2007.

I think you will find the 2713HM is worth buying, you wont gain a lot extra real estate on the height due to the fact the 2407 is 16x10 and the 2713 is 16x9. It's a very nice monitor especially if you can get a good one which I'm happy to say I did, I have no issues with mine at all.

No light bleed, all pixels good, and I've been using the USB-3 hub and not found any issues there either, though my old 2407 did have usb probs this one's fine.
The thing I noticed right away was that whites are much whiter.. sounds like a washing powder ad..lol, but it was instantly noticeable, and I've not noticed any lag with games I play, and I play quite a few, have to make my 680gtx earn it's keep..lol they look really superb.

Though I use the supplied DVI cable so I can use the full 2560x1440 res, I do have another device which utilises the HMI socket and can confirm the HDMI audio pass-through works perfectly.

This is one monitor I can highly recommend, I just hope it lasts as well and be as trouble free as my trusty 2407 has been.

With regard to the higher Gamut H version just released, I doubt you will see a lot of difference, I bought the 2407-HC (High Colour) just to get the higher colour range and TBH I couldn't really see any difference over my previous standard 8bit panel, though it's possible some people such as photographic experts may be able to tell the difference... but I don't see any colour difference between this one and the higher gamut 2407 panel, infact I think the colours on this one look better.

Last edited:
mine has a bit of backlight bleeding in all of the corners besides the top left 1. should i call dell to get a repalcement? mine is from december 2012 revA00

mine has a bit of backlight bleeding in all of the corners besides the top left 1. should i call dell to get a repalcement? mine is from december 2012 revA00

This is a difficult one as only you can decide that. Firstly.. do you notice it at all in normal use, and I don't mean turning the lights off or closing the curtains so the room is darkened... simply because that is not normal use.

The fact is most panels will have some degree of light leakage, in 30yrs I have yet to buy a TV or Monitor that absolutely has no leakage, it's almost impossible to attain.
Our 3 ipads and 1 Nexus 7 all have small amounts of leakage very slightly visible when viewed in darkly lit room, same with our 2 Sony 40" TV's, but importantly ALL are fine when used at normal ambient lighting conditions.

LED panels are not like the old CRT TV's or Plasma panels which can be viewed in very low ambient light. However all backlit panels are really designed to be viewed at normal ambient light otherwise you will constantly see the backlight even if your fortunate enough to get a perfect uniform display with no leakage. Also, it's more difficult to achieve a 100% leakage free panel on LED backlit displays.

I should mention that when looking for light leakage, if the leakage appears to change simply by moving the viewing angle then it's very likely what you are seeing is not light leakage at all, it's what's known as IPS glare, which is quite noticeable on these panels dependant on viewing angle, and indeed can appear very similar to light leakage as it's most noticeable around the edges. Only difference is.. light bleed is there all the time, where IPS glare will disappear just by raising/lowering viewing angle slightly. In low ambient light the glare tbh is more than I like to see, and if I'm nit picking this would be my only real criticism of the monitor, as the glare does seem a little higher on the 2713HM than my old 2407, but thankfully it's not a issue under normal ambient light conditions.

My 1st ipad 3 was changed because the leakage was noticeable under normal use, and when I was paying £659 I wasn't happy.
The iPad3 I ended up with still has a touch of leakage in one spot if viewed in darkened room, but in almost a years use I have never noticed it when using it.

AIS most panels will show some leakage to some degree when the lights are switched off or the curtains drawn to make the room dark, if you can only see the light leakage under these conditions and it's fine under normal lighting conditions then you don't have a problem. and it's not worth pursuing. IOW don't look for problems where there is none.

On forums people rarely post when they have positive experiences, people mainly only post in threads like this when they have problems or issues so it can make for some depressing reading...lol IOW one users expectation & interpretation of perfection is different to someone else's. On the other hand some may say, if one has paid for a mid to top end monitor it should be perfect, but even Apple have difficulty producing products that are absolutely perfect, the 2713HM I received is pretty good and is acceptable, so there are some good examples of the monitor. If it's something that's really bugging you and is definitely an issue in normal use then I would ask for a replacement.

Last edited:
Of course it will - it should just be improved, so that you are more //likely// to get one without noticeable backlight bleed.

I hope the cross hatching is solved, to be honest. It is the only issue I have with this, over the H (can't see AG at all on the H, can see it on the HM because of the cross hatching)

Wish I had found this thread before we purchased a couple of these at work.

Set one up on my Mac Mini, getting HORRIBLE image retention. In so much that the image stays on there for about 5 minutes or so.

This one is an A00, Sept. 2012

Wish I had found this thread before we purchased a couple of these at work.

Set one up on my Mac Mini, getting HORRIBLE image retention. In so much that the image stays on there for about 5 minutes or so.

This one is an A00, Sept. 2012

Can't say I've noticed any on mine, actually. Huh. July A00.

replacement coming in Monday. ordered at a retailer exchanged through dell. will post if things have changed great service from Dell!

Just a PSA for Canadians, Dell has it for $579.99 (and 3% cashback using RFD's CB system) with Dell's days of deals just for today.

replacement coming in Monday. ordered at a retailer exchanged through dell. will post if things have changed great service from Dell!

Hope they send you a perfect one this time matey, there's nothing worse than paying good money, and finding it has problems, it certainly reduces one's enthusiasm for the product. Mine is a A00 and manufacture date is Oct., I don't think it's down to certain batches, more likely just individual monitors probably dependant on who assembles them.

I certainly will not tolerate even 1 bad pixel especially if it's stuck on, I had to return my last 2407 when it was delivered 5yrs ago for that reason, it's replacement however was fine, which is the main reason I chose another Dell due to their zero pixel fault policy.

Looks like I've been extremely lucky this time, but feel for those new owners who are getting issues, as I've been there myself a few times in the past.

Good luck with the replacement.

Hope they send you a perfect one this time matey, there's nothing worse than paying good money, and finding it has problems, it certainly reduces one's enthusiasm for the product. Mine is a A00 and manufacture date is Oct., I don't think it's down to certain batches, more likely just individual monitors probably dependant on who assembles them.

I certainly will not tolerate even 1 bad pixel especially if it's stuck on, I had to return my last 2407 when it was delivered 5yrs ago for that reason, it's replacement however was fine, which is the main reason I chose another Dell due to their zero pixel fault policy.

Looks like I've been extremely lucky this time, but feel for those new owners who are getting issues, as I've been there myself a few times in the past.

Good luck with the replacement.

thanks!

the backlight bleeding wasnt huge. but since it was from a retailer it always brings more risk (i think atleast). its also 270 euro cheaper from a retailer so. but dell exchanged it without asking any questions. cant wait for it!

Despite Dell + IPS problems you people keep buying them...!!! WTF I keep hearing for bleed, image retention, cross hatching, usbs not working WTF?

i have only seen some bleeding thats all.

I've seen the same on my LG 27EA83 which i paid brand new $1100 or 900€ which sux big time.
A friend of mine got 3 Benq VA panels GW2260HM -for surround purposes- all 3 ACE. ZERO BLEEDING , and after calibration got 99.8% sRGB with perfect blacks for the price of $400

I'm quite sure that even a $2500 ips panel will have bleeding jesus!!!

Despite Dell + IPS problems you people keep buying them...!!! WTF I keep hearing for bleed, image retention, cross hatching, usbs not working WTF?

Simply because a few are below standard, does not make it a bad monitor, the advantages of ips panels far outweigh the negatives, these panels are like comparing a ipad2 screen with say a ipad 3's retina screen, it almost impossible to see the pixels. The display is far superior to many others costing much more.

How many manufacturers put it in writing they will replace your monitor if it develops just one bad pixel over it's 3yr warranty period, come to that how many others actually give you a 3yr next day replacement warranty... in reality.. very few.

Many of the new monitors that get sent back to Dell are returned because their returns policy makes it easy to do so, try buying a monitor from PC World and then try and get it replaced 3 months down the line when it develops a 1 or more bad pixels, and you will come up against their policy of only changing the unit if it has 7 bad pixels or more, I know because it's happened to me in the past.

I've been using my previous Dell 2407 for over 5yrs and it's still has a fantastic sharp image, and still no bad pixels. I think another reason is buyers who pay a little extra for these Dell monitors also tend to be more discerning, and why shouldn't they be.. they are paying good money and expect a good fault free monitor in return. They also choose Dell because they know any problems will generally get sorted out pretty quickly... albeit.. even if in a few unfortunate cases it takes a few monitors to achieve it..lol. AIS previously we only tend to hear about bad experiences on forums, the other thousands of satisfied customers have no need to post.

I'm also sure, as with all fairly new products there will be a few bad grapes amongst the bunch. No 2 people are alike, my son thinks he gets a great image from his 32" LG TV which he uses on his computer and also for games, and while it's not too bad for games, it's truly dire for web browsing or for any serious text work, but what do you expect it has a .39 pixel pitch.. but AIS he thinks it's good..lol

Some users who have posted in this thread have stated they have not experienced any of the issues mentioned, so it would suggest that Dell probably do need to tighten up their quality control, but don't scrap a whole bunch of grapes because you found a few sour one's ;-)
Importantly.. remember one phone call will get you a new replacement often delivered next working day. Not many companies offer such good backup to their products, and if your still dis-satisfied have your cash back. That's why we buy them!

Simply because a few are below standard, does not make it a bad monitor, the advantages of ips panels far outweigh the negatives, these panels are like comparing a ipad2 screen with say a ipad 3's retina screen, it almost impossible to see the pixels. The display is far superior to many others costing much more.

How many manufacturers put it in writing they will replace your monitor if it develops just one bad pixel over it's 3yr warranty period, come to that how many others actually give you a 3yr next day replacement warranty... in reality.. very few.

Dell doesn't have a good warranty because they're a genuinely good company. They have a good warranty because it enables them to save money by cutting corners on quality control. They bet on most people not noticing or caring about defects. For the small percentage that do, it's a drop in the bucket to send them infinite replacements. In the end, they come out ahead, and the only loser is the person who has to play the Dell lottery and go through the hassle of multiple replacements, which is us.

Hi!

I just received a Revision A00 directly from Dell in the Netherlands, manufacturing date January 2013.
Unfortunately, even this newer manufacturing date delivers quite an ugly glow effect.
Here are some pictures from different viewing angles:
img8378vs.jpg

img8377pd.jpg

img8376c.jpg

img8375ma.jpg

img8374k.jpg

img8373no.jpg

I asked Dell about a new revision for this monitor model, but still have no answer yet...

i got my replacement today (also from netherlands) manufactured january 2013 rev A00.

its worse then my december 1

can i just send back the replacement 1?

Back