Dell U2415 with 16:10 1920 x 1200 AH-IPS panel

Drags

[H]ard|Gawd
Just saw this news announced. Looks like an updated 16:10 IPS model from dell to replace the U2412M which is good news. Also it's flicker free according to the spec!!

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/31.htm#dell_u2415

AH-IPS panel
1920 x 1200
6ms - 8ms G2G response time (this model has an overdrive setting)
1000:1 contrast ratio
50 - 300 cd/m2 brightness
178/178 viewing angles
16.7m colour depth
sRGB gamut
Factory calibrated
2x HDMI, 1x DisplayPort, 1x Mini DP connections
Tilt, height, swivel, rotate stand

Kudos for 16:10 and somewhat calibrated sRGB, but again no polarizer :(

Quote from pcmonitors.info:
The panel is likely a thus-far unseen variant of the LM240WU with a light matte anti-glare surface for a much clearer picture than that seen on the likes of the Dell U2412M.
If this is true then it would be awesome!

definitely only 60Hz if you look at the spec and links from Dell.com but thats to be expected from an IPS panel anyway. Light AG coating is almost a certainty given all the more modern IPS panels. Let's hope it is a new IPS panel being used here

Hmm, DVI/VGA is dropped. Is that a first for Dell?

This looks like it will be the first thin-bezel 24" 16:10 monitor. About time!

have they dropped wide gamut? then this cant be $537! maybe $350 since u2414h is around $280 right now?

yeah, no wide gamut on this new model. Assume the U2413 will still be available with wide gamut, 10-bit support, hardware calibration etc

Woo hoo, just about to pull the trigger on a second U2412M but this will be worth waiting a little bit for

The U2414H is the only existing model I'd consider getting right now, so how this U2415 compares with that will be the most interesting comparison. It bumps up to 1200 pixels from the U2414H's 1080 vertical pixels, but the more important things are the actual specs like input latency, sRGB accuracy, flicker-free LED backlight, etc. If it puts up numbers at least as good as the U2414H, it will replace that one on the "watch for a sale" list.

The U2414H is currently $260 with free shipping from Amazon, so if this thing is twice the price, it'll be a while before I'd go near it. Gotta hit the magical $300-or-less mark before I'd bite.

Surely they won't price it at $500 as it doesn't even have a 10-bit panel and seems to replace the U2412M.

Looks like a replacement for the U2414H (because of the thin bezels). I hope it doesn't have the displayport full color range issue and sleep issues like the U2414H.

The U2415 is a console/external device friendly (the U2412 can't scale 16:9 sources properly when not connected to a PC) U2412 replacement, even though they do sell a LED PWM Dimming/Flicker Free revision with LG's slightly lighter, but still obviously grainy matte coating. The U2412's matte grey bezel>frame-less IPS garbage since the inner bezel makes blacks and dark scenes look washed out by comparison (example). Dell will probably mess this up with obvious overshoot ghosting or backwards pixel arrangement (Dell P series), or if we are lucky, a new 'special' quality control or performance related issue like most of the recent monitors.

The BenQ BL2411PT (it's console friendly unlike the Asus VS24AH/L and U2412) is 330$, expect this to be 350$-400$.

Last edited:
Nice, glad I did not jump on the u2414h. Looking forward to this as long as they fixed the issues with full color range and display port issues, especially with the nvidia cards.

Hate those ag coating on the u2713hm with diaognal lines ,300 cd m2 brightness?What ever happen to 400?

250 max was plenty enough for me and I didn't even use 100% brightness. 400? Are you using the monitor outside in broad daylight? Or trying to cook your retinas?

Sounds like it has a possibility of being a good monitor. Although with Dell you usually have to wait for a couple of revisions for them to work out the kinks.

Hey, I just read your post and was not really aware of this issue. I did a bit of reading, and is this an issue with certain GPUs (Nvidia, Intel?) deciding that the monitor is an HDTV and sending it an 16-235 signal instead of using the full PC 0-255 colour space?

That's right, and I have this issue with my S2440L.

More recent versions of Intel HD graphics support full range RGB (0-255), and this mode can be activated either in the HD graphics control panel or else through a registry hack. There is unfortunately no workaround for Intel HD Graphics 2000/3000. For Nvidia cards, there is a utility to toggle the mode, but some have reported that the utility no longer works with newer graphics drivers. AMD cards activate full range RGB automatically, as far as I've been able to determine.

Last edited:
Doubt it will be semi-glossy since none of ther frame-less IPS are. The HP E & Z24i and Samsung S24A850D are PWM free and semi-glossy.

some "potato" photos, can't really see if it's semi-glossy or not :/

8SnXMuj.jpg

5xieqnw.jpg

eXkjy2G.jpg

Avah25q.jpg

source: http://www.hkepc.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=2128127

I suggested semi-glossy monitors above, and the excellent Asus VS24AH-P or AL and BenQ BL2411PT are already available for <350$. This is a frame-less version (with some extra inputs) of the BL2411PT which is console friendly (the VS24AH stretches 16:9 resolutions), but frame-less monitors have inner black bezels which ruin the perceived black depth.

BL2411PT is out of question for me... AG coating is much more agressive than on the HP Z24i and even the U2413 :/

image.jpg

Last edited:
BL2411PT is out of question for me... AG coating is much more aggressive than the HP Z24i and even the U2413 :/

The Dell will likely use the same coating as the VS24AH and BL2411PT which leaves you with the wide gamut+waste of money Asus PA249Q (overshoot ghosting free unlike the U2413), HP E & Z24i and Samsung S24A850D (I'd try the Samsung first).

@NCX, updated with a comparative... do you think the U2415 will have the same coating as the BL2411PT?! even more matte/grainy than the U2413 then?

I urgently need to replace my HP w2207h, but every day it gets more difficult :(

Last edited:
@NCX, updated with a comparative... do you think the U2415 will have the same coating as the BL2411PT?! even more matte/grainy than the U2413 then? (
The U2415 coating is comparable to the coating on the U2413.

Just ordered two of these from Dell for $545 with an estimated delivery of this coming Tuesday. I hope they look as good as the U2414Hs we just deployed at work.

Back