Dell U2412M

Ambiguous.

it is simply a fact, nothing ambiguos.
with the overdrive set on fastest the image quality drop.

If he want a "cheap" quality Eizo and he want it "quite fast" he should take an S-PVA and surely not a cPVA.

In any case Eizo will present new FlexScan/CG monitors on October, I don't know if this is the right moment to buy a FlexScan monitor.

Hello everybody

A new review has been posted here http://www.pcmonitors.org/monitor-reviews/dell-u2412m :)

Ysl

Fair and decent review. It seems like the Spyder3 might not be as accurate measuring dark black as the I1D2. It is reputed as such showing a slightly lesser contrast ratio and black level, but otherwise fine.

My only issue is the constant reminder of the anti-glare. I don't think it is bad at all in comparison to other IPS panels I've viewed. YMMV.

The problem is that many people here thinks that IPS is a panacea for all ills, your expectations are too high for a cheap monitor from Dell.

No such thing. *VA has some horizontal gamma shift and MVA seems to suffer to some extent from higher pixel response times, while IPS has the mirror white glow issue. I tend to not concentrate too much on IPS contrast ratios because of the white glow.

IPS is the best balanced in terms of viewing angles and pixel response, but the mirror glow detracts from the viewing angles. I have no issues with the horizontal gamma shift of *VA while some do.

*VA does have the advantage of better off-angle black levels (generally, varies) than IPS IMHO.

yikes, definite ghosting in the picture from the review

Check page 11, my post shows both worst case and best case. In use I'm not seeing anything. Only on this synthetic test did I see a small amount of reverse ghosting. Not seeing it at all during gaming or moving video/pictures.

My first impressions also when I got mine. The bleed/glow you described at lower right sounds very much the same that mine has, although on my screen the bleed that 'stands out the most' is at upper right corner. Though its hard to take a picture of it in the way you actually see it on the screen. Here's a shot how mine looks at close viewing distance in a dark room, and another one with more distance from the screen in a dimly lit room. Does this bleed/glow look similar to what you have on your screen?

I've been using it now for about total of 80 hours and the bleed haven't faded/changed at all. I'm currently waiting for a replacement from Dell.

Hopefully the replacement is better! Good luck.

every non 120Hz TN monitor has some ghosting, so this is nothing that you should warry about.

Not really. All have varying levels of motion blur, but ghosting is not always going to happen. 120hz panels seem to have less blur, but they still have it.

The OD is well designed and doesn't affect static images.

Perhaps, but the EV23 is not necessarily problematically slow.

Good to know, thanks for the info. The only OD implementation that caused image quality issues was the Acer's GD235HZ/GD245HQ. All others I've seen were anywhere from perfectly balanced or too strong.

Not really. All have varying levels of motion blur, but ghosting is not always going to happen. 120hz panels seem to have less blur, but they still have it.

Can you make an example of non TN monitor where there is no ghosting at all?

Can you make an example of non TN monitor where there is no ghosting at all?

BenQ FP241VW had a fairly average panel in response time, but due to black frame insertion technology showed zero ghosting and no motion blur. This induced flickering though.

Samsung's 245T with their MPA was similar with zero ghosting and reduced motion blur, but with a headache induced flicker.

The Dell 2209WA was possibly the fastest IPS panel of its day and had basically no ghosting.

Some overdrive induced reverse ghosting occurs because of over shoot, but that varies and I've seen that often with TN panels too.

So the only true 8 bit 22 inch and 24 inch panels from Dell are the 2209 and U2410?

Adding my thanks to LOLANG. I just ordered one from his contact at Dell and got the nice discount. Fingers crossed (and not really expecting it to be here in a week lol).

Dell Small Business estimated delivery of 8/30 for mine when I ordered it on Monday but it's now scheduled to get here on Friday. So those who ordered and were told a week, might get it earlier.

Ok, time for an update. Dell somehow messed up with my replacement delivery. They said it'll take at least a week to get my new one. Well, for that reason I was quite surprised today when I got a call from their (this time some local) courier. The delivery guy said that he has my replacement from Dell, and a few minutes laiter I signed it as received. I was a bit busy at the time of the delivery, so not before I was sitting back at my desk I glimpsed at the package. "Hmm, wait - now why does it say 2410 on this box.." And after that :eek:

So, they've sent me a display that costs roughly 250€ more here. Well, I thought that "thats not my fault, at least I shall give it a go".

Later I got home, eventually unpacked the screen. For some of the details/materials/design on the parts I thought "that looks nice", but at the end it was 50/50 that I'd give for the overall build quality and design against U2412M, what externally meets the eye. There wasn't any green/refurb sticker on the display itself, so its a new one I guess. Though it had couple "greasy" fingerprits & small stains on the back of the panel, and few fiberish "dust" remains. I red from the U2410 thread that this has occured to some others too. This one is REV-A05, build in January 2011. The latest batch.

Btw, I'm sorry about this long boring story. I guess I'm a bit bored too, from packing/unpacking and handling these Dell screens.

Then I hooked it up, powered my system, installed the drivers and ICC-profiles from the CD, put on Dell's pre-calibrated sRGB preset and used FlatpanelsHD recommend 26-28 brightness & 50 contrast settings. The defaults for this screen is 50 & 50.

Now then, impressions after 5 hours of quick testing and use: (I am not a pro monitor reviewer, so this comes from a "regular", although multi-type-user perspective, who spends a lot time at his computer.)

+ The Adobe RGB colours looks impressive.
+ IPS-glow isn't as sensitive on angles (as on U2412M) when you move your head in front of the screen. Though, if you move further and a side from the screen, then the U2412M handles the black-level contrast shift better.

- Anti-glare. Seeing my U2412M I actually didn't understand why people make such a fuzz about it. After seeing this model, I now do. I would say approximately (and at least) 30% more anti-glare effect is visible. I'm not saying _it physically has_ 30% thicker anti-glare coating on it. It may occur for some techical implementation reasons, I don't know, but this is how it looks to me. I'm not flaming on this subject here. But I am certain what I see here.
- The backlight. At a dimly lit room, I had to actually put the brightness setting down to 0. Yes, to zero. Also, when I watched the screen for about 3 hours straight while doing some testing, my eyes begin to get tired and a bit achy feeling. That was on the 26 brightness setting, and the room was still well lit with some daylight coming from the windows. And even now when down on zero brightness setting, I still see myself avoiding all things with white backrounds. Also its more 'static' than the U2412M:s 'calm' LED-backlight (I'm sorry if my limited english isn't enough to describe it better - but thats what I "see"). And I think that relates quite well with the fact that on higher brightness settings my eyes start to get sore.
- Tinting. Correct me if my terminology is wrong with this one. But what I mean is the phenomenon when you look at white screen, or just white/light backround on some windows on your dekstop, you can see that (in this case) the first 1/3 of the screen from the left is cyan-bluish-white and the rest 2/3 to the right is magenta-reddish-white. This is awful, once noticed and you see it always. Doesn't even need that solid white backround after that.
- The touch based OSD "buttons". This has been mentioned also on many reviews for this screen. Sometimes they do nothing. Its like "hey look, cool tech", and after you touch it 3 times and nothing happens, you'll wish for those regular buttons. I actually have working "touch surface" -buttons here at home on electronics, for exaple on my Pioneer BD-player. And they work. Actually they've never not worked so that I would of noticed.
- The black level. Without even first knowing at the numbers (from the reviews), you can almost immediately see that blacks and dark toned images/backrounds aren't as deep on black as can be seen on U2412M.
- A huge light bleeding/wide area of glow on the right lower corner, affecting about 1/6 of the screen surface. Some small at upper right too. But only the first one mentioned can be seen without using a black screen. The lower left corner bleed can easily be seen on any images and wallpapers that go 'darker than gray'. Even at brighter room light.

So, there you have it. Just thought to share my observations about this sample of U2410 I (accidentaly) got, compared to U2412M.

Neither one of them is perfect. And some factors (as for the bleed/corner glow) are probably caused by imperfections on an individual screen/panel. So dont be flamed.

But my decision is, that I will not keep the U2410 over U2412M. I definately like more (except the defects on my first U2412M) the overall image that U2412M can produce. No "but its 250€ more worth" -factor isn't going to change that. I actually don't need the Adobe RGB gamut, I'm fine with the sRGB on my use. Thats a big factor too of course when choosing a monitor.

So I'm sending the U2410 back to Dell. I don't want to be stuck with it even for the time I'll wait for my U2412M replacement.

Also, this removes all my concerns that "would it been better to invest that 250€ more and maybe get 'a really good one' right away". Hope it does the same for some of the other new U2412M owners here! :) Cheers, and pardon my limited english ;)

Edit: Also took some photos. Hope I got few decent ones, have to see later (if anyone's interested :) ).

Last edited:
Ok, time for an update. ....

Just snipped it to save space. Your bad English doesn't seem so bad to me..... I guess I'm bad at reading English. :D

You don't need to be experienced at monitor reviews to compare and contrast.

Thanks for that.

TFT Central review:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm

Very similar results to what 10e reported. Good native contrast for TFTcentral as well.

Damn them and their I1 Pro!!!!!!! Too bad spectro photometers aren't good at reading dark colors.

Dell Small Business estimated delivery of 8/30 for mine when I ordered it on Monday but it's now scheduled to get here on Friday. So those who ordered and were told a week, might get it earlier.

Ordered mine Monday also with an arrival date of 8/29, but they actually shipped it out next day. They haven't updated the date on mine like they did yours, but now I'm hopeful damn you. ::shakes fist::

Anyone from Canada get any discounts on this?

I think someone earlier in this thread did, couldn't say for sure. Lolang's rep was calling it a 20% off sale as noted by another member. You could call and see if you can convince a Canadian rep to give you a similar sale discount. Worst that happens is they say no and leave you free to wait for a discount at a later date. :)

the uniformity of this monitor is really bad, at least from the tftcentral reviews,
I'm really in doubt if buy it or not only for this problem.

The uniformity is only bad on paper in the TFT central review, the actual picture of the backlight looks very good:

TFT Central said:
No noticeable backlight leakage from the panel which was pleasing. Thankfully no leakage along any of the edges which has the potential to become distracting when watching movies, especially where black borders are present.

So far Digital Versus, TFT Central and 2 users on [H] have measure around 1100:1 for contrast while FPHD, PRAD and PCM.org (lulz) have much lower values. Good thing Dell has such a great return/exchange policy given the large variances.

Ok, time for an update. "Hmm, wait - now why does it say 2410 on this box.."
- The backlight. At a dimly lit room, I had to actually put the brightness setting down to 0. Yes, to zero. Also, when I watched the screen for about 3 hours straight while doing some testing, my eyes begin to get tired and a bit achy feeling. That was on the 26 brightness setting, and the room was still well lit with some daylight coming from the windows. And even now when down on zero brightness setting, I still see myself avoiding all things with white backrounds. Also its more 'static' than the U2412M:s 'calm' LED-backlight (I'm sorry if my limited english isn't enough to describe it better - but thats what I "see"). And I think that relates quite well with the fact that on higher brightness settings my eyes start to get sore.
That brightness is why I shipped a 2209WA back and was glad to discover the U2412M.
Btw, Lolang's rep said mine would ship in a week, but I see it's already on the truck for delivery Tuesday. They apparently come out of Nashville FedEx Freight Priority (one day earlier than regular Ground) .

Only PRAD tests input lag properly, the 2412 has 2ms of input lag, a value so low it is non existent compared to the Asus.

So mine are scheduled to come in Friday and I'm trying to get ready for my new toys =)

While I unfortunately don't have access to calibration tools Immediately, what would you suggest to do to start and get hopefully im the rough ballpark. The last mention of settings I see indicated

"Preset > Custom Color with Red>96, Green>93, and Blue>87 @ brightness of 45 and contrast of 75."

Can i ask, Is this still what you're running 10e? And is there anything else I should be doing before I call it a day with these? I see talk of color profile configurations, but I can honestly say I'm in need of guidance.

Thanks for any help

The uniformity is only bad on paper in the TFT central review, the actual picture of the backlight looks very good:
So far Digital Versus, TFT Central and 2 users on [H] have measure around 1100:1 for contrast while FPHD, PRAD and PCM.org (lulz) have much lower values. Good thing Dell has such a great return/exchange policy given the large variances.

The "real" uniformity is correctly computed by devices using different tonal values from white to gray to black. This is a good test for uniformity.
A picture on a black screen can only show some backlight problems.

Ok so the u2412m is "faster" than my mk241?

In regards to input lag it should be. The Dell's input lag is close to 0 ms + Response time.

So mine are scheduled to come in Friday and I'm trying to get ready for my new toys =)

While I unfortunately don't have access to calibration tools Immediately, what would you suggest to do to start and get hopefully im the rough ballpark. The last mention of settings I see indicated

"Preset > Custom Color with Red>96, Green>93, and Blue>87 @ brightness of 45 and contrast of 75."

Can i ask, Is this still what you're running 10e? And is there anything else I should be doing before I call it a day with these? I see talk of color profile configurations, but I can honestly say I'm in need of guidance.

Thanks for any help

Yes I'm still running this setting. Brightness went up a little to 48 and contrast went down to 70, but that's just personal preference.

FWIW, having three screens, I'm seeing some variance between two of my screens as far as the brightness goes. I need to pump my center screen up a little bit compared to the sides to get the same amount of brightness in white areas.

I've just gone by my eye so far, but once I have some time I might get the Spyder 3 out.

I'm returning mine due to excessive bleeding. Hoping I'll get a better one, however, it doesn't have any faulty pixels and I'd really hate to get that on a replacement. Did anyone receive a U2412M with faulty pixels?

I'm returning mine due to excessive bleeding. Hoping I'll get a better one, however, it doesn't have any faulty pixels and I'd really hate to get that on a replacement. Did anyone receive a U2412M with faulty pixels?

Based on this thread, the only two issues are the yellow tinting on whites, and some slight uniformity issues on both backlight distribution and backlight bleeding.

Mine doesn't and so far no one else has had any either, so it seems in that regard, quality should be good and you are likely to receive a replacement without dead/stuck pixels or sub-pixels.

Good luck Mortac and thanks for your observations.

Well, just had a pleasant surprise getting my 3 delivered first thing this morning after ordering tues afternoon. Unfortunately my dp cables from monoprice werent quite as fast so won't be able to go all 3 quite yet. When I get a chance to set them up I'll check back with how the panels look.

After reading this entire thread and the positive review on TFT Central, I've finally decided to order the U2412M. I hope it will be completely without any of the mentioned faults, when I receive it.

Anyway, I'm very excited about it, I can't wait! I'll probably receive it tomorrow and otherwise monday. I only hope the IPS glow won't bother me too much.

This is a BIG move for me, since it wil also be my first lcd monitor. Currently I'm still using a 19" CRT.

Hey guys, So i have the monitor. its a beautiful experience, but all my corners are brighter than the middle even at low brightness. What should I do? How long is the whole return process? I dont have a 2nd monitor to have downtime with.

Hey guys, So i have the monitor. its a beautiful experience, but all my corners are brighter than the middle even at low brightness. What should I do? How long is the whole return process? I dont have a 2nd monitor to have downtime with.

Move back a few feet: If the corners stay bright, it's back light bleed, if they don't it's known as IPS glow, which is glow on dark colors that are the furthest in angle from your view point. It sounds like the latter because back light bleed usually doesn't come from all four corners.

Anyone located in / around the GTA can contact me.

The source I have is $300 new from Dell for #1 monitor, you might get a better deal if you're ordering 2+. If we all get it together it might be even cheaper :p

Well, after going back and forth for about a week between this and the ZR24w I've decided to go with this. The 6-bit screen is the only thing that was holding me back, but I've seen nothing but good things said about the dithering quality, and it seems better in every other way, so I might as well take the plunge. :)

Hoping to get the $320 deal too, since the price difference means I'll be able to get something to calibrate it sooner as well.

Anyone located in / around the GTA can contact me.

The source I have is $300 new from Dell for #1 monitor, you might get a better deal if you're ordering 2+. If we all get it together it might be even cheaper :p

I AM!

Already bought one, oh well :D

Thanks for the info, fellow Canuck. If I know anyone who's looking for this, I'll send 'em yer way.

Cheers!

Back