Dell U2412M

I actually just saw it over at a friends house. Its a very very nice monitor for the money.But I must say that I think the picture on my U2410 looked better. The colors on the U2412 did not look as vibrant or real as the U2410. But mine is also calibrated with the spyder 3 pro his U2412 is out of the box. A 24 inch inch IPS at $320 is a steal IMO Dell certainly has a winner on its hands I think..

Well, that may be the fault of LED vs CCFL (color gamut is affected), but I'm just speaking out of my rear end here, since I'm not 100% of what kind of LED setup the U2412M has.

So its always in wide gamut mode, i was just confused by the ICM file talk and how you have to enable programs in windows to run in wide gamut mode (Which ive never done)

It is actually the other way around. You need a calibration profile file active for a the few programs that will make colors standard again. Things like photoshop that can actually read the profile and make use of it(They use the profile to translate images so the don't look oversaturated). Most programs (99%) don't so will always show wide gamut.

Without the calibration profile, everything will be in wide gamut, even photoshop.

I really do think if you are used to wide gamut you wouldn't find much to like here.

. The colors on the U2412 did not look as vibrant or real as the U2410.

Do you use your 2410 in sRGB emulation mode or some other mode. The 2410 is wide gamut, if you are used to wide gamut, standard gamut will appear less vibrant (as might real life :D ).

I would just get a colorimeter if I had a 2408 w/o input lag.

This has been a terrific thread, with some high quality information. I just wanted to give an early thank-you in particular to 10e, as I put my order in on Wednesday arvo on three U2412Ms after reading his comments. I managed to get them for just under AUD$340 each, using my 15% RACV discount (Australian automobile club; the ones who come to charge your battery when you've run it flat).

Lo and behold, they showed up at work today (Friday) here in Melbourne, Australia - about 2-3 weeks earlier than expected. :)

I will post up some shots once I've mounted them, and give my own impressions comparing with my current Samsung 204B + Dell 2407WFP-HC + Samsung 204B setup. I will calibrate with Spyder 3 Elite as well. Whilst I'm hardly a display expert, I do have a certain eye for it at least - having used relatively high end displays since probably 1995 onwards. :)

I must say that I am really flabbergasted at this price, and am currently wondering - what's the catch. I've spent a fair amount on my monitors over the years, and the price just keeps dropping. But for it to reach _this_ level, well - I'm about to find out. I'm also quite keen to be able to try Eyefinity over SoftTh for iRacing - however most of my usage is programming (Lucida Console @ 7pt) and some light Photoshop work.

This is not game blur effect :
The threes is broken totally into the U2412m

immagine3w.jpg

immagine2hd.jpg

And ghosting :

immaginepi.jpg

This game was requested by a member her via PM. I don't have Fifa 2011 but there is a demo out that i downloaded. As you can tell from the video, I've never played this or any other soccer game other than the only fun soccer game out there, Sega Soccer Slam :D :D anyway, i corrected some errors I made in my first 2 videos, i had the video mode set for 30fps before, it's now set for 60fps although at a lower top resolution of 720p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnYsIhy19DA

i'm currently uploading another of NFS with 60fps recording this time, and motion blur disabled so that we may possible shut a certain member up hopefully :p

@QwaarJet, the central monitor seems to be much brighter than the other two in the video. Is that how they are to you, or does the camera play with my eyes :D ?
I ask because I want to compare the subjective image quality at same brightness, relative to your 3007.
Could you post a video that focuses on only two monitors(one 24" and one 30").
Sorry for being such a nuisance :(.

I'm detecting only a slight slight soooooo very slight hint of input lag and i know it's due to the u2412m having a scaler and the 3007 not. But it bothers me a little bit. Also I have to say im looking for the lag, so I'm going to see it.

It's NFS, so yes, a lot of motion blur ;)

Always

@ 10e

LOL nice play on words with your name.

Not too original, but that's actually how I describe my name when I say it the first time and people say "huh?"

My original name is four syllables.

Dude, they're broken because the monitors are different sizes :| it's a 24-30-24 setup, of course it's not going to align properly. I don't care :|

edit: he keeps editing his posts so that's why my post doesn't make much sense :\

Don't bother. Someone has their "virtual ignore filter" on. This is akin to someone putting their fingers in their ears and singing "Lalalalalalalala"

Thanks for the fine video posts QwaarJet!

This is not game blur effect :
The threes is broken totally into the U2412m

And ghosting :

Sorry to all those with senna89 on their ignore filter

Senna89: You are about two inches from being on my ignore filter. You have ZERO UNDERSTANDING what you speak of!!!!!

1) It's a 30 fps Youtube video, which is going to show tearing of a game that is likely running at a higher frame rate! Just like if you have a game running at 90 fps on a 60 fps screen there will be tearing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the common effect of having another frame appear on the screen before the previous frame was fully rendered!

2) The game has built-in motion blur effects that put trailing on many objects

3) Objects to the side of this game are travelling on the screen at a different angle from the centre point-of-view than the images on the 30" so the trailing is at a different angle too, meaning it's much more visible.

4) QwaarJet does us a nice favor by showing us these videos for "informational purposes" and a nice "show 'n' tell" and you continue to use them as some sort of reference material. Stop it.

If you are going to continue to disparage the screen which you have not seen nor experienced then why participate in the thread?

If you answer this with anything other than silence, congrats you will be only the second person ever on this forum to make it to my ignore list, and I apologize to every one else for feeding troll.

@QwaarJet, the central monitor seems to be much brighter than the other two in the video. Is that how they are to you, or does the camera play with my eyes :D ?
I ask because I want to compare the subjective image quality at same brightness, relative to your 3007.
Could you post a video that focuses on only two monitors(one 24" and one 30").
Sorry for being such a nuisance :(.

It probably has to do with the slight angle of the U2412Ms or possibly just a difference in brightness settings IPS panels will always darken a bit from side angles, but don't wash out like other types of panels. The U2412M can go very bright.

330 cdm/2 is a very bright white. Way too bright! ;)

I'd agree about the sides being at an angle. It's not very noticeable in the videos I guess, but they're a good 15-20 degrees compared to the 3007wfp. Also yes as 10e, I just put the original videos up for entertainment purposes only, as evident by my ignorance the first time around as to what my camera settings were and for still as of yet, putting zero effort into balancing brightness between the 3 screens.

i knew way before i ordered the 2412's that this was clearly not an optimal way to game in eyefinity with my 3007wfp, but i did it soley just for fun. I was curious about playing some games in eyefinity.I wasn't $3,000 curious (2 more 30"s) but $800 curious seemed like something i could slide past the wife :D I don't care about everything not lining up perfectly, colors not matching, etc. That may me look like a fool to some, but my multimonitor setup is soley to add to my gaming experience, aka just for fun! I'm not editing a photo that's going to be on national geographic :D

anyway, here's NFS again at 60fps recording and motion blur disabled although i believe NFS's engine can't exist without a hint of motion blur and makes it impossible to disable completely :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvGgHV9rGYI

Last edited:
This game was requested by a member her via PM. I don't have Fifa 2011 but there is a demo out that i downloaded. As you can tell from the video, I've never played this or any other soccer game other than the only fun soccer game out there, Sega Soccer Slam :D :D anyway, i corrected some errors I made in my first 2 videos, i had the video mode set for 30fps before, it's now set for 60fps although at a lower top resolution of 720p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnYsIhy19DA

i'm currently uploading another of NFS with 60fps recording this time, and motion blur disabled so that we may possible shut a certain member up hopefully :p

Thank you.:)

Video focuses on only two monitors(one 24" and one 30") will be very welcome.

1) It's a 30 fps Youtube video, which is going to show tearing of a game that is likely running at a higher frame rate! Just like if you have a game running at 90 fps on a 60 fps screen there will be tearing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the common effect of having another frame appear on the screen before the previous frame was fully rendered!

2) The game has built-in motion blur effects that put trailing on many objects

3) Objects to the side of this game are travelling on the screen at a different angle from the centre point-of-view than the images on the 30" so the trailing is at a different angle too, meaning it's much more visible.

anyway, here's NFS again at 60fps recording and motion blur disabled although i believe NFS's engine can't exist without a hint of motion blur and makes it impossible to disable completely :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvGgHV9rGYI

and there's the same effect !
The blur effect is not so.

I can understand the tearing effect but not ghosting.
the 30fps of flash movie is not important, is a movie not a running game, when u record a fps match whit vsynch, can u see tearing in youtube because flash player run in 30fps ?

i'm ready to bet that if the game will be run with vsynch on, the "tearing" and "ghosting" there are again.

Last edited:
e10 what I was saying about white being white.
The old hyundai H90 I believe is the model has the best color and white I have ever seen.
Later I purchased a 22in acer and noticed that the white was not white. At that time the spyder2 came out and I tried one to see if it would help the acer.
The color improvement was there but white still was not white. I then purchased the benq and it was worse than the acer in not having a true white.
I have spent countless hours trying to get a true white out of both of them and failed. Any ideas?

X-Rite i1Display 2 is this a good unit for $115 ?
tft central said it was almost spot on when they tested one but it seems to be an older model.

ps just wanted to say when I got the spyder2 and tried it on the acer I said wow it looks better, went into the then new bf2 and was banned for custom video hack.
Seems that custom palets set off punkbuster as a hack. it took 4 weeks for them to admit it was not a hack and restore my account.

Last edited:
this is TEARING
a cut image effect

immagineddh.jpg

But this is evident ghosting
double things in the same monitor, is not possible whit tearing

immagineds.jpg

e10 what I was saying about white being white.
The old hyundai H90 I believe is the model has the best color and white I have ever seen.
Later I purchased a 22in acer and noticed that the white was not white. At that time the spyder2 came out and I tried one to see if it would help the acer.
The color improvement was there but white still was not white. I then purchased the benq and it was worse than the acer in not having a true white.
I have spent countless hours trying to get a true white out of both of them and failed. Any ideas?

X-Rite i1Display 2 is this a good unit for $115 ?
tft central said it was almost spot on when they tested one but it seems to be an older model.

ps just wanted to say when I got the spyder2 and tried it on the acer I said wow it looks better, went into the then new bf2 and was banned for custom video hack.
Seems that custom palets set off punkbuster as a hack. it took 4 weeks for them to admit it was not a hack and restore my account.

Ok, I see.

I think the Spyder3 is probably a good idea. From the "Dry Creek" photo review that Snowdog posted a few pages back it looks to be the most consistent from unit-to-unit. And the Spyder3 Express package is in the low $100.00 range, so it might be something to look at. The pre-2009 manufactured units should be out of inventories by now I would hope, as it looks like the 2009 and later manufactured units should be solid.

You can pair this up with a free 14-day trial of BasicColor to get what should be great results. I love BasicColor from www.basiccolor.de. The 14-day trial is fully functional. The white point calibration step tells you graphically which RGB levels to change to achieve optimum white point.

My knowledge in recommending the Eye One D2 is from my GammaComp SV (also an Eye One D2) colorimeter which is pre-calibrated by NEC and included in the SpectraView II software/hardware combo from NEC, which apparently means that, since NEC pre-calibrates the colorimeter it has excellent quality, which the Dry Creek review shows does not exist with the "retail" version.

Hope that helps. As an aside, the whites on the U2412M are pretty good.

thanks e10
after hearing all the negatives on the spyder2 I never considered the 3.
I want to get a new monitor and want a 27 but if not this is the one for me.

The discount with my Dell contact is still going at $320 shipped. If interested PM me.

Senna89 welcome to my ignore list

You still don't get it.

Two people with the U2412M have both said ghosting is not a problem. Two people who are not looking at the monitor through the eyes of a camera but are actually there, viewing it in person, and you continue to argue.

It doesn't matter if the video is 30 fps or 60 fps, if the monitor and camera are not sync'd exactly FRAME-BY-FRAME, double images and phantom blurring can occur.

You ignore that there are double images on the 30" monitor AS WELL and concentrate only on what you WANT to see, and not what is there on all three screens. This is why your little cut-off screenshots only show the side screens. You basically have zero clue what you are talking about, and I rarely say that, ever, on forums. You basically have to irritate me enough for me to say that, so welcome to ignore world.

Go buy a CRT, a U2412M and appropriate equipment to do response time testing and leave those interested in the U2412M alone.

I won't be responding to you any more because it's a fruitless and pure waste of my time.

Good bye.

Quick question,

Best monitor for a amateur photographer (working with RAW files) and moderate gamer?

U2412M
ZR24W
Other?

Update: I should add I'll be coming from an HP LP2465 S-PVA. I tried out a DoubleSight 1200p IPS monitor and didn't like the difference coming from an S-PVA. However, at this point I'll deal with the differences as long as whatever I get is decent for photo editing and better for gaming than my old monitor.

Last edited:
If your images are going to be in sRGB and you don't have a requirement for wide gamut, the U2412M should be a fairly good screen. The ZR24W is good too, but I think it has a few more quirks than the U2412M, like requiring a contrast setting of 90 to reach full contrast levels. Otherwise it's also a good consideration.

If you need wide gamut, the Dell U2410 or Asus PA246Q are alternatives.

Quick question,

Best monitor for a amateur photographer (working with RAW files) and moderate gamer?

U2412M
ZR24W
Other?

Update: I should add I'll be coming from an HP LP2465 S-PVA. I tried out a DoubleSight 1200p IPS monitor and didn't like the difference coming from an S-PVA. However, at this point I'll deal with the differences as long as whatever I get is decent for photo editing and better for gaming than my old monitor.

Just ordered one as well. Now the question is between my 2007FP and 2007WFP, which I want to keep and which to get rid of haha.

I've set my three up. Overall very happy, however a bit concerned about the IPS Glow of the middle display. The top left corner is positively lit up compared to the right (best) one. My left screen is somewhere in between. This happens even with brightness and contrast turned all the way down to zero. Any pointers, or should I perhaps consider returning the worst panel? Yes, I have tried moving my head around - alot, in fact. :)

I'd be quite happy with them if they all were like the right one.

I've set my three up. Overall very happy, however a bit concerned about the IPS Glow of the middle display. The top left corner is positively lit up compared to the right (best) one. My left screen is somewhere in between. This happens even with brightness and contrast turned all the way down to zero. Any pointers, or should I perhaps consider returning the worst panel? Yes, I have tried moving my head around - alot, in fact. :)

I'd be quite happy with them if they all were like the right one.

If you move back a few feet and look at it straight on, and the glow in the corner is still there, return it for uneven backlight because it's probably backlight bleed.

Mine arrives today. If I like it, I will order a couple more.

FYI: Spyder 3 Pro is $128 on Amazon.

Awesome I ordered mine a few minutes for $339 shipped with tax. w00t. Thanks for the deal LOLANG!

Awesome I ordered mine a few minutes for $339 shipped with tax. w00t. Thanks for the deal LOLANG!

No problem. I am curios to see if everyone is getting the $320 I was quoted originally or if the price is fluctuating now.

Kills me that I ordered them at full price now, lol. I could have had 3 instead of 2!! Would have gladly paid ~200 more of what i paid if it meant I could get 3 instead of 2.

I think I'm going to order one, but just had one more question about the AG coating. On Dell's site it says "hard coat 3H" for both the U2410 and the U2412. Is this true?

Thanks

I think I'm going to order one, but just had one more question about the AG coating. On Dell's site it says "hard coat 3H" for both the U2410 and the U2412. Is this true?

Thanks
The 3H just indicate the hardness of the material, i.e. how much force should be applied before it scratches. Usually this measure is the grade of pencil that exactly does not write on or dent the coating, when it is firmly pressed in at 45 degrees (to mimic writing, where the pencil is not perpendicular to the paper).

The AG coating issues people complain about is the difference and distance between highs and lows of the coating, which becomes highly visible under a microscope. Manufacturers used to quote a "haze" figure that could give some idea of the harshness of the coating, but nowadays this seems rare. The 3H figure is meaningless in that discussion.

No problem. I am curios to see if everyone is getting the $320 I was quoted originally or if the price is fluctuating now.

She said the price will probably last until the end of the month. So once I get mine if I really like it then I'll probably order another one.

Just got mine. Holy cow is it bright out of the box! Even so, it beats the pants off my cheapo 23's without being calibrated yet. The blacks are very nice. There is some slight light bleed from the left and right edges. Also some from the lower right corner. Nothing majorly bad, and better than most screens I've owned.

I can notice the coating on lighter color screens, but not too bad at all.

I've never owned an IPS panel before, so can't really compare. All I can say is, before any calibration at all, it puts my other monitors to shame.

hey 10e, thank you from me as well for the review and your posts about 2412M - you've sold me (just have to wait probably a few months before it becomes available for purchase over here in Croatia)

The only thing which could be problem is the pricing - right now, new U2410s are sold at Dell's reseller here for nothing less than $700 so... I kind of expect the 2412 will be priced similarly :( )

cheers

But this is evident ghosting
double things in the same monitor, is not possible whit tearing

The camera's shutter is not quick enough (and not synchronised) to capture each frame individually. The shutter is open and recording a frame while 2 frames on the screen have elapsed, capturing both.

Back