Dell U2412M $299

Have you ever used an IPS panel? I used to think TN panels were good enough, until I bought an UltraSharp. They really are worth the money, bar-none.

Yes, I had three U2410s..they pretty much sucked. For me the response time, thick bezels and AG coat rendered the monitor way over rated in my eyes....but I did like the 16:10 AR
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/l88bastard/2011-02-10153526.jpg

I also had three of these 2007fps
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/l88bastard/0306201012723.jpg

And one of these 3007s
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/l88bastard/120220098545.jpg

Those are $80 more each sadly.
They were $299 when I posted

I've got 3 U2410's, 3 Asus PA246Q's, and I just ordered 3 U2412's when the thread popped up on SD's....

They get here tomorrow morning, I'll do some comparisons if I get the time.

Oldie, do me a favor and throw a U2412 between a pair of U2410s and tell me how they do for gaming. I may snag one just for that. The wife would love the 2407 as it's the best looking one, but sadly the only non DP of the bunch.

I've got 3 U2410's, 3 Asus PA246Q's, and I just ordered 3 U2412's when the thread popped up on SD's....

Damn Oldie! Your computer room must look like NORAD Control hahaha....PICs?!?

Damn Oldie! Your computer room must look like NORAD Control hahaha....PICs?!?

One is mine and one is my sons. Planning to put these on a racing station.

I'll see what I can do about the 2410/2412 comparison, I'm going to be pretty tied up for a few days though.

Holy!

Ordered this yesterday (3-6 day) and it will arrive tomorrow via FedEx. :eek:

First thing I'm going to do is set it up next to my 2405 to see the difference.

Please show us pictures. Comparison of the three would be awesome!!!

Based on the specs, I believe these monitors are overpriced. At $250, I might have bitten.

Its a 1920x1200 IPS panel for $300 from a very reputable company. Show us a better monitor for $250 that backs up your statement or troll elsewhere.

Its a 1920x1200 IPS panel for $300 from a very reputable company. Show us a better monitor for $250 that backs up your statement or troll elsewhere.

The U2412M is a *6-bit* E-IPS monitor with no HDMI. This monitor was $259.99 at 1saleaday.com in the beginning of the year. Thirdly, please go F yourself. :)

The U2412M is a *6-bit* E-IPS monitor with no HDMI. This monitor was $259.99 at 1saleaday.com in the beginning of the year. Thirdly, please go F yourself. :)

No need to get hostile ;)

But yeah this was cheaper at 1saleaday. Being 6-bit, I avoided this one from the get go. I wish there were 120 Hz IPS monitors :(

News to me. NM, then. IPS does not inherently make the panel better - 8-bit does.

IPS inherently gives better contrast ratio, viewing angles, and color accuracy (compared to TN). 8 bit just allows a panel to display a larger number of colors which helps with smooth color gradients, especially in wide gamut as there is a larger color shift to cover. In sRGB there is little benefit to 8bit, and seeing as this is a standard gamut monitor there is little reason to make it 8bit.

No need to get hostile ;)

But yeah this was cheaper at 1saleaday. Being 6-bit, I avoided this one from the get go. I wish there were 120 Hz IPS monitors :(

The 1saleaday sale price is basically moot, it sold out too fast.

A past sale that is no longer available is irrelevant today. I ask again show me a better monitor that you can buy TODAY or stop trolling. I'll ignore the last part of your comment since I have a lot of work today and don't know if I'll be able to find the time to F myself.

I said that my pricepoint was $250 and gave info on how it was almost a match. Though somehow you think you're in a position to give orders. Two weeks ago, the U2412M was selling for $170AC from Dell.

If you are smart, you place an alert on Slickdeals for the monitor or you can pay $299+ for a decent 6-bit E-IPS monitor with no HDMI.

If anyone's curious, here are the Dell Premier prices on the U2412, U2410 and others.

U3011 $942.38
U2711 $563.86
U2412 $213.58
U2410 $403.52
U2312 $174.08
U2311 $166.89

If you are smart, you place an alert on Slickdeals for the monitor or you can pay $299+ for a decent 6-bit E-IPS monitor with no HDMI.

Some of us couldnt care if it had an HDMI connector. I use HDMI for TV's, not for computer monitors. ;)

I wont buy a screen without a DVI connector myself.

To each their own I guess.

And I still wish I had enough to grab one of these things.

Some of us couldnt care if it had an HDMI connector. I use HDMI for TV's, not for computer monitors. ;)

Yeah, to each his own. :) I'm looking into the future, when this monitor has the potential to go out to pasture as a TV.

i dont understand. you can get a dvi>hdmi adapter for like $.50 on ebay if you really have to. hdmi is supported by all video cards now, sometimes with more of them than dvi ports, and it carries both audio and video. its like the same thing, plus sound and more popular (consoles, dvd/bluray players, roku, etc.) and its smaller. there is really no use for dvi any more at all.

i dont understand. you can get a dvi>hdmi adapter for like $.50 on ebay if you really have to. hdmi is supported by all video cards now, sometimes with more of them than dvi ports, and it carries both audio and video. its like the same thing, plus sound and more popular (consoles, dvd/bluray players, roku, etc.) and its smaller. there is really no use for dvi any more at all.

Can only speak to my own experience, but I have so much input lag when using hdmi on my monitor that I prefer using the DVI. It makes for much more enjoyable computing festivities.

And I'd want audio going to my monitor because?

Thanks, I'll stick to DVI cables and connectors whenever possible, nice sales pitch though. Almost thought I was in BestBuy for a moment. ;)

If I could land a job, at least 1 of these screens would be on its way here, maybe a 2nd for the side for monitoring software.

If anyone's curious, here are the Dell Premier prices on the U2412, U2410 and others.

U3011 $942.38
U2711 $563.86
U2412 $213.58
U2410 $403.52
U2312 $174.08
U2311 $166.89

I'm assuming this Dell Premier is for Enterprise level customers?

So... how would I go about getting this pricing :)
I'm looking to get two u2412m's but 650 is a stiff price... 440 is much better!

So, some side by side photos might be a long time coming since I would have to tear apart some pretty carefully cabled setups to do it which would be annoying, but my completely non-displayophile (I think I just made that up) impression is pretty good on the 2412's. I do think the AG coating is a bit (and I mean just a bit) heavier than on the 2410's or the PA246Q's, but overall it's not horrible compared to the others.

The backlight on these is incredibly uniform from what I can tell, I'm pretty impressed with it. It's certainly a lot more uniform than my 2410's. I also got a set of 3 perfect displays, on the 2410's it took a couple of tries to get that, and monitor roulette is pretty annoying even with advanced exchange. I'm thinking I'm actually going to make these my main displays simply because I like the bezel a lot more than the Asus monitors. Getting these for $300 each w/the 3 year premium panel guarantee is pretty kickass.

If you're looking for really in-depth info you'll be better off checking out this thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1615513&page=49

I know it's a lot of reading, but those guys eclipse my personal knowledge by a big factor.

Oh, also if you're energy conscious, these put out a LOT less heat than the 2410's and the Asus displays.

Last edited:
You need to find someone w/ access to a Premier account.
I have an EPP account, but my pricing isn't even close to this ;/

Yea my EPP is not as good either and tax + CA ewaste made it $600 over for two. Ended up finding a ZR30w locally for about the same price. Too bad it doesn't match my other Dell 24". Not sure if I am going to regret missing out on this one.

And I'd want audio going to my monitor because?

Thanks, I'll stick to DVI cables and connectors whenever possible, nice sales pitch though. Almost thought I was in BestBuy for a moment. ;)

If I could land a job, at least 1 of these screens would be on its way here, maybe a 2nd for the side for monitoring software.

so youre saying youd rather have no audio and a larger, easier damaged plug with no added benefits? do you want me to get off your lawn? ami ruining gaming as you know it?

if you have issues with input lag from hdmi then yeah absolutely use dvi. sounds more like a problem with the monitor or maybe a cheap cable than with the hdmi standard. i use dvi for both of my monitors on my gaming rig, but then i have a nice 2.1 setup so why would i want to run my sound to my monitor either? i use hdmi for the htpc since its hooked to a tv and i want sound and the quality is great. im not some hdmi fanboy or best buy sales associate, i just dont understand why you hate hdmi, seeing as its the exact same quality digital signal, just with a better plug end and sound thrown in for shits.

bought two 10" displayport cables from monoprice for $10, 2x2412m working superbly on my 6970

will miniDP to DP cable work on this?
I'm currently doing an active miniDP to dvi and it works fine to my 245bw

Back