Dell’s UltraSharp 2005FPW widescreen 20-inch LCD monitor.

The 2005FPW has already been shipped. I should receive the monitor by Wednesday.

mine was shipped today as well on sunday lol .. should have it by wensday .. maybe even tomorrow if it shipped from somewhere close

I just ordered mine, thanks to the help of a great member of the {H} community I was unable to resist this baby @ $600.00

jacuzz1 said:
I just ordered mine, thanks to the help of a great member of the {H} community I was unable to resist this baby @ $600.00
Its cool they let u use your business account. LMK how your backlighting looks.

I received my dell 2005fpw lcd monitor last week. When I first hooked up my monitor I was impressed! The colors look amazing. I had NO dead pixels.

Then I decided to watch a dvd movie and I was very disappointed. My monitor also has backlight bleeding. But it's not as bad as the picutres i've seen in this forum.

Now a lot of people have questions about gaming in WideScreen. If the game supports 1680x1050 then no problem. But what if the game only has 1280x1024 resolution? Well the good thing about this monitor is you have 3 options on how you want your non widescreen game to be displayed.

First you go to the Main Menu by pressing the menu button on the dell lcd.

Scroll down to Image Settings and select Scaling.

Here are the 3 choices :

1:1 - which will put black lines instead of stretching the image.

Fill - it will stretch the image to fit the monitor

and Aspect.

So what do you guys think should I return the monior becuase of the backlight?

I don't have a digital camera but I found this image online :

2005fpw_backlight_01.png

I have the same amount of backlight bleeding as in that pic.

OrionNT said:
Its cool they let u use your business account. LMK how your backlighting looks.

You got it, I will post pics when she arives. It says Dec 10th , I hope its sooner because i want to compare it to my 213T before I sell it

jacuzz1 said:
You got it, I will post pics when she arives. It says Dec 10th , I hope its sooner because i want to compare it to my 213T before I sell it

are you sure about that? i think that's just until it gets to the local carrier and thats when you get the real tracking number which takes another 3-5 days to ship unless you got faster shipping or have special powers :D

Alex08 said:
are you sure about that? i think that's just until it gets to the local carrier and thats when you get the real tracking number which takes another 3-5 days to ship unless you got faster shipping or have special powers :D
I ordered mine Friday the day after Thanksgiving and it "shipped" on Sunday, then was received on Tuesday. :)

interesting i ordered the day before him and mine says the 9th, but the 9th is just to the local carrier.

But now im confused, I got this email an hr ago saying:

Thank you for shopping with Dell.

This e-mail is to confirm that your order shipped on
12-05-2004.

Based on the shipping method chosen at the time
of purchase, your order is expected to arrive
within 1-5 business days.

Ship Method: 3-5 Day Delivery

I ordered on the 5th and it shipped on the 5th, but isnt that just going to the local carrier?

Ron21 said:
I received my dell 2005fpw lcd monitor last week. When I first hooked up my monitor I was impressed! The colors look amazing. I had NO dead pixels.

Then I decided to watch a dvd movie and I was very disappointed. My monitor also has backlight bleeding. But it's not as bad as the picutres i've seen in this forum.

Now a lot of people have questions about gaming in WideScreen. If the game supports 1680x1050 then no problem. But what if the game only has 1280x1024 resolution? Well the good thing about this monitor is you have 3 options on how you want your non widescreen game to be displayed.

First you go to the Main Menu by pressing the menu button on the dell lcd.

Scroll down to Image Settings and select Scaling.

Here are the 3 choices :

1:1 - which will put black lines instead of stretching the image.

Fill - it will stretch the image to fit the monitor

and Aspect.

Actually, you have many more choices than that. There are forums around devoted specifically to widescreen gaming such as http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum that have registry edits, etc. you can do to a lot of games that will make them work in widescreen. Some older games also have .exe hacks for them, and also there are lists of games that either work natively, work with regedit, work with hacks, work with stretched GUI only, and popular ones that don't work at all except with the method you described above. Just wanted to put this info out there so new owners of these monitors (I have one coming in soon!) don't think that their only option is a 17" diagonal 4:3 ratio screen with the black bars on the sides ;) :).

My tracking number status show its at carrier's door since saturday, I wonder when are DHL going to update the thing. UPS and FeDex both got better tracking system.

Here is a stackable $35 coupon to use with the 25% off coupon to drop the price to $564.

0GLFRN$XLVXPWK

stealthecho said:
I will not be using Dells services again.

I hammered the Dell guy about the backlight issue as I was ordering, he paused and said there was in fact a bad batch of screens and all had already left the building or were on there way back. He asssured me that my unit would not suffer the now famous back light issue.

Time will tell

To return or not? I really like this thing, and was thinking of getting a 2001fp to compare...hmmm.

2005bad.jpg

jacuzz1 said:
I hammered the Dell guy about the backlight issue as I was ordering, he paused and said there was in fact a bad batch of screens and all had already left the building or were on there way back. He asssured me that my unit would not suffer the now famous back light issue.

Time will tell
I really hope this is true for you, but I honestly think the problem lies in much more than a "bad batch".

Well, bad batch or not, they will have to fix it one way or another. So sooner or later, can I safely say that I can get a replacement, if mine comes in with problems, as long as it is still within the warranty? Or can such problems delt with by exchange and what not only be within the x day satisfaction garantee period? It is a good deal after all if you can get a good one in the end that is.

can anyone give me the dimension of the package where 2005pfw comes? :confused:

I'm coming to US next week and I'm planning bringing 2005pfw back to europe with me. In Europe you have to pay 800€ = $1072 for that 2005pfw :eek:

Teukka76 said:
can anyone give me the dimension of the package where 2005pfw comes? :confused:

I'm coming to US next week and I'm planning bringing 2005pfw back to europe with me. In Europe you have to pay 800€ = $1072 for that 2005pfw :eek:

I'll take measurements of the box mine came in tonight for you... I'll update this post with an edit and let you know.

EDIT: Actually, I can do it now:). Here's the measurements of the box that my 2005FPW came in!

Height: 12"
Width: 22"
Length: 16"

Got mine last night... One green pixel visible on black backgrounds and one black pixel on red backgrounds. Backlight leakage minimal, even with screen in demo mode/all black image/dark DVDs.

Thinking about keeping it. I never notice the black pixel on red... the green one is more visible. Not sure if it bugs me enough.

GoldenTiger said:
I'll take measurements of the box mine came in tonight for you... I'll update this post with an edit and let you know.

EDIT: Actually, I can do it now:). Here's the measurements of the box that my 2005FPW came in!

Height: 12"
Width: 22"
Length: 16"

Thanks.

Got mine today, virtually perfect!!!! 1 tiny green stuck pixel on white backgrounds that I can hardly see. It's just the screen seems small for some reason :( o well. I hope no problems will show up as time passes.

Is it possible to remove the vga cable? Seems too tight to remove without a tool.

Yeah I just used a screwdriver since its a little hard to get my manly hands into that access area.

Hi just wanted to follow up on my situation with Dell. Im the one who posted pictures of the LCD screen with the complete red line of dead pixles going down the right side of the screen earlier. I just wanted to let you all know who are having problems with Dell.. Just keep sending them your LCD back until you get one that is perfect. I was send a replacement overnight... I must say this is beyond amazing for this price really.. A really new experience for me. :p

Today I noticed another stuck pixel!!!! So then i decided to try the messaging method. I toke a clean t shirt and used a corner of it and 'messaged' around the 2 dead pixels i got for about a second each. They both disappeared!!!! so I have zero dead pixels now, with minimal back light leak. But my concern is, do these dead/stuck (whatever they are) pixels just start showing up randomly?!? if they do, that could be very very annoying..even though they can be fixed with the messaging method.

After owning this monitor for about a week now, I guess I should make an update. The full review I was planning is being posponed in leu of coursework... the lecturer is having a laugh and trying to make us design and code an operating system. As if I can do that....

Anyway, my thoughts:

Packaging:
Came in a huge brown box, monitor and stand come seperate. Everything was pretty well packed in polystyrene, unlikely to take much damage in transit. However, I am used to the packaging for my shuttle SN45G and the hercules 920pro 17inch boxes, which I still retain, as they are sturdy, compact, and have convenient carrying handles.
The 2005fpw has no such thing. Carrying it to lans might be a little difficult.

First impressions:
The stand comes out first, looks particularly fancy with twisting parts in all directions. Alot more adjustment options. Very useful. Quite heavy, but I guess thats needed for it. One thing I did notice was the stand seems spring loaded, so actual adjustment is misleadingly easy. Almost too smooth action, which caused me to almost drop the thing as I lifted it by the screen. At this point, the height adjustment and the tilt adjustment suddenly moved, and my heart almost stopped. Don't be foolish like me, and when you move yours, hold it by the stand AS WELL as the screen.
On taking out of the box, the actual screen part has the VGA cable attached. At first I thought this was unremovable, like my hercules, but then I saw the screws, unscrewed the cable, and no harm done.
The screen seemed lighter and smaller than I first expected, but you can never tell these things without turning it on.

Monitors side to side:
I placed the dell next to my hercules, and compared styling and size. The bezel on the hercules seems ridiculously wide, but the design of it is far more attractive in my opinion. The height of both screens seem the same, but obviously the 2005fpw is a huge amount wider. (as it should be) Still looks a little small to be 20 inch.

Screen quality:
oh my god, my eyes! At first I thought I had a faulty monitor as it was hugely bright. I had the room dark at the time, so it was almost blinding. However, once my eyes got acclimatised to it, it is an absolute joy to use. I'm not a colour, contrast expert or photoshop master, but the colours look as they should, whites are bright white, blacks are black (except for a very minor backlight bleed in the top right corner) and everything in the middle is shown on the screen with ease.
Once I set up the extended desktop, I was dragging windows between my hercules and dell, and noticed several things. I hadn't noticed before, but the hercules has a slightly yellowy tinge on all of its whites, and the dell is colgate white. Its was like seeing a before and after picture at a teeth bleaching clinic. However, the hercules seems a little easier to look at as it is less bright.
I could of course lower the brightness, but I quite like the fact that its so bright. I've tried turning up the brightness and colours for the hercules, but I cannot for the life of me get rid of that yellow tinge. Any tips? (its running off the VGA)
On a secondary opinion, when dragging, there is very little ghosting. While scrolling forums, the dell appears to ghost less (not completely free of this problem, but my eyes are quite sensitive) than the hercules, and everyone knows that the hercules is a pretty damn fine LCD.

Games:
Games. Widescreen. Works SO well, I can't believe there aren't widescreen monitors in greater abundance. Same about the lack of support, but I assume it will be similar to the uptake of DVDs. It can't be too hard to patch most games to support widescreen... but what do I know, I do a computer science course :/
3 main games were tested/played, some other games i think are having problems with drivers, my computer occasionally crashes, but i'll sort that out eventually. Driver cleaner to the rescue. If that doesn't work there is always the reformat option...

Half life 2 - The god of games. 1680 x 1050 res 6x temporal AA, 16x AF. x800pro @ xt. Absolutely stunning. You won't believe how much the widescreen adds to the experience. In addition to having a wider field of vision, it makes it feel more cinematic, due to the aspect being originally for films. Has a subconcious cinema effect, which is quite welcome, makes it more immersive I feel.
I couldn't detect any ghosting, but I obviously need time getting used to playing games on this monitor, as after a couple of hours I was feeling a little motion sick. I think its the information coming from your peripheral vision that does it.
CS: source - What can I say, wider field of view helps. As does headphones with incredible soundstaging. I could tell to roughly 10degrees what direction someone was shooting/running from. Doesn't look as good as hl2, but thats hardly the monitors fault.

Far Cry - Computer slightly struggled with the same settings as above, so I brought the tAA down to 2x, and the AF to 8, and it seemed to work fine. And good it looked too. Again, no ghosting problems, only problem being, i'm not used to using a mouse in widescreen. I kept overcompensating up or down, and not moving fast enough to the left or right. My FPS brain is primed for 1280 x 1024, so its a little bit ofa jump, but I'm sure I'll get used to it through practice.

Rome: total war - didn't realise this had a widescreen setting until last night. Not as graphically intensive as the above, but it looked fantastic in its own way. Again, looked incredibly cinematic in widescreen, especially in the cutscenes, and scripted sequences. And the fact that you see so much of the world in the battle view is really quite a pleasant thing. Doesn't make you any better at the strategy element though, which I probably shouldn't have been hoping for. No problems at all with the game.

Work:
I am a computer science student, and as such read more code/text than should be legal. Add that to forum addiction, and you've got a lot of characters read per day. I have to say, test looks great. Its pleasant to see such clear text on such a pure white background. I get the same feeling as I do when I buy a brand new book, and the pages are beautifully white. EVERY time I turn on the computer :D
The first day, my eyes fatigued due to the brightness, but now its completely fine, and I can just look at the screen for ages, without any negative effects. Even more wonderful is the rotation. I have to say, 16:10 20inch screens look positively towering when you have them vertical. So much text on the screen. With help of the firefox text size changing function, I managed to fit the entirity of the overclockers forum index on the screen. Coding seems less of a pain, reading lecture notes is almost pleasurable.

DVDs/ DivX (shh)
This is where the screen really shines. Widescreen format, means smaller black lines on the top and bottom, which means much bigger real estate for films and TV series. And they look unbelievably good. Aside from the slight backlight bleed in the top right corner, which doesn't really matter at all, the colours were crisp, the movement was good, and the picture was huge. Who would have thought looking at DVD on a computer could look so nice? Watching the DVD (hero at the time) with high quality headphones, was such an experience, it felt like watching it on a 42inch sony plasma.
I will update once I see more films.

Misc thoughts:
I got a dead subpixel stuck on green near the centre, but I don't actually notice it at all. On pitch black screens, I get a slight bleeding backlight in the top right corner, but its not irritating me at the moment, so I shall keep it for now.
The surface of the screen is quite hard, and when you push on the screen, it doesn't have that ripple effect of other LCDs. Seems sturdier and harder to damage. Probably still wouldn't survive a punch from me due to coursework frustration, but at least cleaning the screen won't be such a tiptoe job.
The upright widescreen is so incredibly fantastic. So fantastic in fact that I relish the thought of having two upright dell 2005fpws on my table. As you can probably imagine I've been trying to tell myself that I can afford it, and that I can afford to change my brand new gigabyte x800pro vivo, for a dual DVI x800xt. Shame that I can't, maybe next year....
I have decided however, that due to the difference in colour and design, I can't bear to keep my hercules and I am selling it. Which I wouldn't have dreamed of doing when I bought it, but I need to fund this current dell, and I'm getting fairly good offers for the hercules. It needs a good home. Any offers? :p

Things to add in future update/review:
PIP and PBP, I don't actually have anything to plug into these, but if I get a digibox like I'm planning, then an update will be in order. Perhaps I'll steal my housemates gamecube/PS2/xbox and see what happens.
USB2 hub. It has one. Anyone want a review of it? No? I thought as much.

Conclusion:
I have written a great deal for a small update. In fact its positively review sized... goes to show what lengths i'll go to to avoid coursework due in tomorrow. And perhaps goes to show how much I like this new screen of mine. When i have more time, i'll refine what I've written here, incorporate some pictures, bulk it up with some idle chitchat, and possibly have got better at CS:source (pah). More importantly, start saving for a second one. I must have two...fgsdgh

acliff: awesome. :cool:

Thanks for the impressions, now I need this screen and a valid rig to go with it...

Nice review. My new system is still coming together so I'm still lurkin' on this monitor to see how it plays out.

BTW, the 2005FPW is on sale today for $639 (20% off) and no coupon is required.

kooba said:
Nice review. My new system is still coming together so I'm still lurkin' on this monitor to see how it plays out.

.. but not in Canada :mad:

kooba said:

can you still get 25% off with coupon? :D

Dell Home Customers: Save 20% off Select Flat Panel!

Limited Time Offer!
Prices, availability and terms of offer may change without notice. Taxes and shipping charges are extra, vary and are not subject to discount. May be combined with other select offers or discounts. Valid for new U.S. online purchases through the Dell Home Systems Electronics & Accessories site only. Offer does not apply to and is not available with systems or items purchased through the online systems configurator, refurbished items or spare parts. Purchase limit of 10 same items per order, but any applicable discounts apply to only the first 5 same items per order. Dell cannot be responsible for errors in typography or photography.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Well I'll be getting my 3rd one day. Its the 2nd replacement to the original. While I haven't had any dead pixels or such, the backlighting just keeps getting worse. I'm hoping this one will be acceptable or I'm thinking I'll just go with a refund and suffer with my old 18in flatpanel.

Back