Dell Laptop Video Problems

Nybbles

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Dell Inspiron 600m that's not quite working properly.

Sometimes when I power up, I get an image on the screen like normal, and other times I get nothing at all. When it boots up with nothing on the screen, it's not even that the backlight is just not on... it's that there is nothing at all.

At first, I thought that the LCD connector was just coming loose, so I pulled the keyboard and put a dab of glue on connector but I still get the same thing. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.

Any thoughts? Laptop is just over a year old and this didnt start until just after the warranty expired.

Edit: I was wondering if the inverter that drives the display just went out? When the screen comes on, it looks perfect, just that it doesnt always come on.

Try hooking up a external monitor through the VGA out and see what happens, if you get no video there it's probably a failed motherboard.

that could be a flex cable problem on the hinge of the laptop or an rtc battery problem otherwise a connector problem of the display flex cable.

Thanks for the tips guys, I finally got around to trying these.... and things aren't looking good.

The LCD intermittently works... seems like it works 100% of the time after its been sitting turned off for a bit, but as soon as you turn it on, and then off, it will not work until it's rested a bit.

I hooked up an external monitor as well, and when the LCD doesnt work, I get no picture on the monitor either. So I'm thinking this has gone more towards bad video on the motherboard, right?

who am I - I ask said:
reformat and just install drivers and os, if still happens hardware. but sounds like a software issue

except that when this problem shows itself, i dont even see the BIOS screens.

who am I - I ask said:
... hook it up to a external monitor

i did this already. when the lcd worked, the monitor also worked. when the lcd didnt work, the external monitor also did not work.

it seems at this point that the common thing is the video card. am i wrong?

The problem is at the begining of your thread title :p

Back